New acquisitions

13 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

The war(s) when the British army started to question the reasoning of lining infantry up in nice neat lines firing volley wearing red tunics with white webbing creating a helpful aiming point ? 

Canadian war museum in Ottawa has a tunic on display with a musket ball hole in the chest.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Replacement Stock lost my two old ones end of the season. They were both sisters 8 years old one just fell over dead on the lawn in front of me about six weeks later the other just started to fade awa

My old man out of the blue has given me this am over the moon shes been parked up since I was born ( 36 years) going to take some time and effort to get her back on the road but will be worth it i hop

Got this little air rifle off my brother,was given it collecting scrap... Gave it a soak,and quick polish,rattle can of metal spray paint ... Shoots sweet, will keep my 9 yr old lad entertai

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

This caught my eye today...a last rights case dated 1902.

Screenshot_20230722-212501.png

I like that - you have to wonder how many people have seen it at the end.

The skull and crossbones on the middle crucifix is a curious thing :hmm:

• Like 1
Just now, Jonjon79 said:

I like that - you have to wonder how many people have seen it at the end.

The skull and crossbones on the middle crucifix is a curious thing :hmm:

I hadn't noticed that ?

58 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I hadn't noticed that ?

you see the skull and crossbones on a lot of gravestones' i think it means death is inevitable and comes to us all

Edited by greg64
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, mackem said:

Canadian war museum in Ottawa has a tunic on display with a musket ball hole in the chest.

The Boers where not using muskets, accurate rifles them lads had. I know you know but just had to say.

• Like 1
Just now, eastcoast said:

The Boers where not using muskets, accurate rifles them lads had. I know you know but just had to say.

When I get up to Ottawa I will pop into the museum and take a pic of the tunic,different times.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, greg64 said:

you see the skull and crossbones on a lot of gravestones' i think it means death is inevitable and comes to us all

It represents Calvary

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, greg64 said:

i thought it was a memento mori latin for remember you must diei

Jesus was crucified at the place of the skull (calvary in Latin). hence why the skull and crossbones gets put on some crucifixes. Its also said to be where Adam was buried (Adam and Eve) so kind of linked to that to . 

Normally memento Mori is shown as a skull or a skull with an hour glass .

• Like 3
10 hours ago, eastcoast said:

That tunic was probably from the war between Britain and France in Canada 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TOMO said:

That tunic was probably from the war between Britain and France in Canada 

It was TOMO Quebec province is a mile away across the river from the museum,historical area.

I used to work in a fireplace surround manufacturing factory, the worst 2 years of my life. Met some great lads but soul destroying work. The walnut veneers where made in house from timber slabs. Was not unusual for the blade to hit a musket ball in the slab. Wreck the blade and slow production that did not please the factory owner. I was told the timber was imported from North America and the musket balls from colonial days.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...