Long Live the Shark

48 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

A mate of mine who knows i like wildlife sent me this on a text this morning.....i sent him one back saying " f**k off prick,stick your April Fools up your arse "

Its only just occurred to me to Google it...........oops ?

Unbelievable !

IMG_7010.jpg

imagine the world population if we lived that long

• Haha 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They counted the candles on its birthday cake ?

Aye that swedish one... Surststomming. Do not get that shit on your clothes ?  I tried it on the beach here years ago. The swedish lads being a bit vikingy and lairy pulled these tins out and exp

i first seen that on a kids tv show called octonuoghts .....i then looked them up on wiki as you do

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Did you know that Lake Nicaragua is the only fresh water lake in the world that has Sharks I’ve been there and I thought I was having my leg pulled it’s true they resemble the Bull Shark I believe, fascinating fact of the day ?

Good book on the subject if your interested in that sort of thing. 

s-l400.jpg

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I thought the bull shark was fairly common in fresh water ?

They are caught in Australian rivers and have been seen in Americas Great Lakes and other places.

Cheers.

Yep your right Charts so my fascinating fact ain’t that fascinating memo to ones self never post without in depth study, on the Hunting Life we have every kind of expert in all fields ????? I thought it was fascinating anyway....

Glyphis is a genus in the family Carcharhinidae, commonly known as the river sharks. This genus was thought to contain five different species, but recent studies on molecular data revealed that the species Glyphis gangeticus has an irregular distribution in the Indo-West Pacific region.[2] This genus contains only four extant species. Further species could easily remain undiscovered, due to the secretive habits of Glyphis sharks.[3] Their precise geographic range is uncertain, but the known species are documented in parts of South Asia, Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and Australia. Of the four currently described species, the Ganges shark is restricted to freshwater, while the northern river shark and the speartooth shark are found in coastal marine waters, as well. While the bull shark(Carcharhinus leucas) is sometimes called both the river shark and the Ganges shark, it should not be confused with the river sharks of the genus Glyphis. 

The River sharks of the genus Glyphis remain very poorly known to science. They are facing a critically endangered status since they are so poorly studied, and people know very little about their population and life history. One of the primary threats to River Sharks is habitat degradation, which includes human development, pollution, and fishing. The river shark is known to be one of the rarest sharks in the world. They have been found in nine different tidal areas, which consist of muddy waters with a low salinity. Their placement in connection to coastal marine waters indicates that they are usually born around October.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i wonder how they know that shark is so old

I wondered that so looked it up its something to do with Radio Carbon dating whatever that is....but it did say its only accurate to within plus or minus 120 years.......so it could be over 500 years old in theory.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, king said:

Funnily enough I was reading about them a few nights ago while posting a link on here mate..and I read the same thing about there age..it is unbelievable and I thought giant tortoise living to 150yr old + were doing well..

Some say between 300 and 500yr old..

Mad aint it mate....apparently females cant reproduce until they are 156 years old.....and then they can have between 300 - 500 pups in their lifetime.

Oh and their average speed of travel is 0.6 mph with a " cruising speed " of 1.6 mph !

Natures really something eh !

20 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Yep your right Charts so my fascinating fact ain’t that fascinating memo to ones self never post without in depth study, on the Hunting Life we have every kind of expert in all fields ????? I thought it was fascinating anyway....

Glyphis is a genus in the family Carcharhinidae, commonly known as the river sharks. This genus was thought to contain five different species, but recent studies on molecular data revealed that the species Glyphis gangeticus has an irregular distribution in the Indo-West Pacific region.[2] This genus contains only four extant species. Further species could easily remain undiscovered, due to the secretive habits of Glyphis sharks.[3] Their precise geographic range is uncertain, but the known species are documented in parts of South Asia, Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and Australia. Of the four currently described species, the Ganges shark is restricted to freshwater, while the northern river shark and the speartooth shark are found in coastal marine waters, as well. While the bull shark(Carcharhinus leucas) is sometimes called both the river shark and the Ganges shark, it should not be confused with the river sharks of the genus Glyphis. 

The River sharks of the genus Glyphis remain very poorly known to science. They are facing a critically endangered status since they are so poorly studied, and people know very little about their population and life history. One of the primary threats to River Sharks is habitat degradation, which includes human development, pollution, and fishing. The river shark is known to be one of the rarest sharks in the world. They have been found in nine different tidal areas, which consist of muddy waters with a low salinity. Their placement in connection to coastal marine waters indicates that they are usually born around October.

I just remember that bloke on the tv show " River Monsters" catching them in an Australian river.

No expert mate, just a pedantic old f****r ! ? !

Cheers.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

A mate of mine who knows i like wildlife sent me this on a text this morning.....i sent him one back saying " f**k off prick,stick your April Fools up your arse "

Its only just occurred to me to Google it...........oops ?

Unbelievable !

IMG_7010.jpg

I do like to swim in the sea and, I've always liked to go out quite far, where the water is calmer but, if I start to think of stuff like that that could be mooching about bellow me, it properly freaks me out.

I read about Greenland sharks years ago - that lifespan is amazing and, I think they're a creature that deserves respect. 

............ I still wouldn't want to be front row for that image though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Mad aint it mate....apparently females cant reproduce until they are 156 years old.....and then they can have between 300 - 500 pups in their lifetime.

Oh and their average speed of travel is 0.6 mph with a " cruising speed " of 1.6 mph !

Natures really something eh !

All though they are saying them figures it's still very hard to get your nut around the fact that they can live that Long..

156 yrs old before reproducing. nearly every living thing has died by then mate but then the female can start to reproduce crazy statistics..

And how the scientists worked out that about the eye lens is amazing in itself.somethings you read about science findings. make you scratch your head a bit..

867857674_Screenshot_20210401-2104212.png.1551fd067a70a6c4a6a67d071335d0a9.png

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I just remember that bloke on the tv show " River Monsters" catching them in an Australian river.

No expert mate, just a pedantic old f****r ! ? !

Cheers.

That episode of river monsters about the electric eels.they killed a horse and rider.

And yet them tribes people pick them up barehanded while being electrocuted how the hell they can they do that..

7 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

f**k me! So, one of those sharks could well have seen the Mayflower and wondered where all those pilgrims thought they were off to :icon_eek: That sort of puts the whole mind f**k into perspective, doesn't it?

It's thoughts like that that amaze me.

Kind of like some of our ancient oak trees and those giant redwoods in America. 

• Like 3