Top Five Books?

I can’t stress how good this book is . I would genuinely argue that it’s not just a book about sports , of which they’re are few better , it’s certainly the best book about American sport , it’s more than that . It’s a total an utter analysis in teenage life and pressure we place on our children . 

Odessa Texas is a tiny town , with no hope, no jobs , the oilfields are bust , there is no future for the kids of Permian high school but they have the added pressure of being the most successful high school football team in the state . 

These kids have their lives mapped out for them , they are 15 / 16 years old and now the senior high school football team have their days of glory under the Friday night lights . 

you have Mike winchell , introverted , small , boyish , with a single parent mother with mental health issues as the quarterback . He has no hope other than to be the all state winning qb to get to college. 

don billingsley father was an all state star , now his son lives in the shadow of his father and has to live up to that calling 

But fate has thrown them a winning lottery ticket , they have a superstar in their ranks , boobie miles is the greatest running back of  his generation, make no mistake , this is Michael Jordan and tiger woods rolled into one . 

all the Permian panthers have to do this s give the ball to boobie and they win state , and the life planned for them working offshore or in gas Stations is left behind .

3 games in boobie suffers a career altering injury . 

can these teenage kids , fight , claw and crawl their way against all odds to a better life ? 

it’s actually amazing . The greatest sporting book bar none .  

85D245C9-E2B7-47EC-AB8A-D40427590252.png

• Like 2

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve got all of Howard’s Books the man was extremely interesting and intelligent to get away with what he did even though he did do a bit of time, I crossed paths with him a few times once he was sat

Enid Blyton? " Nature Lovers Book Number 1: Rambles With Zacky The Gypsy " Never forgotten that one. Zacky, a bloke living on his own, who children could approach without anyone suggesting he was

I was brought  up in the  same  village  where it's  based  and  filmed  ,the  author  Barry  Hines  lived there  I went to school  with  his 2 children  ,my  mam still lives there ,next street  to th

Posted Images

Im waiting on 'Babble on an Ting' anyone into The Orb ? Biography of Dr LX

Ill order the Collins bird book when I get a chance, had a flick through it a good few years ago. 

9 hours ago, Waz said:

Im waiting on 'Babble on an Ting' anyone into The Orb ? Biography of Dr LX

Ill order the Collins bird book when I get a chance, had a flick through it a good few years ago. 

My cousin is married to Alex ex wife

blokes a f***ing nob

I’d still read his biography mind

• Like 1
On 24/03/2021 at 22:24, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I read a book about a Russian special forces unit operating in Chechnya that was supposedly a true tale as well but for the life of me can’t recall it’s exact title . 

sure it’s called “freefall”. Any way it’s grim.

Finished it, half hour ago. Thanks for the heads up :good:

Extremely interesting tit bits in there, isn't there? Like how they'd find islamists carrying US rations and weapons :whistling: (*Cough!* Daesh, anyone ....?)

As more of a memoir than a novel, it wasn't actually as rip roaring as a well crafted story with the HBO treatment behind it. But, an interesting look at the other side of the fence none the less.

" At that point Nosov looked right at me: ‘I’m really f***ing sick of these Muslims . . .’ " :rofl: :clapper: Quote of the entire fukking book, surely!

But, it was the last couple of sentences, about when he saw his old oppo on you tube? That's when I almost burst into fukking tears! That fukking nailed it! ?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I can’t stress how good this book is . I would genuinely argue that it’s not just a book about sports , of which they’re are few better , it’s certainly the best book about American sport , it’s more than that . It’s a total an utter analysis in teenage life and pressure we place on our children . 

Odessa Texas is a tiny town , with no hope, no jobs , the oilfields are bust , there is no future for the kids of Permian high school but they have the added pressure of being the most successful high school football team in the state . 

These kids have their lives mapped out for them , they are 15 / 16 years old and now the senior high school football team have their days of glory under the Friday night lights . 

you have Mike winchell , introverted , small , boyish , with a single parent mother with mental health issues as the quarterback . He has no hope other than to be the all state winning qb to get to college. 

don billingsley father was an all state star , now his son lives in the shadow of his father and has to live up to that calling 

But fate has thrown them a winning lottery ticket , they have a superstar in their ranks , boobie miles is the greatest running back of  his generation, make no mistake , this is Michael Jordan and tiger woods rolled into one . 

all the Permian panthers have to do this s give the ball to boobie and they win state , and the life planned for them working offshore or in gas Stations is left behind .

3 games in boobie suffers a career altering injury . 

can these teenage kids , fight , claw and crawl their way against all odds to a better life ? 

it’s actually amazing . The greatest sporting book bar none .  

85D245C9-E2B7-47EC-AB8A-D40427590252.png

Watched the series and that was excellent

On 24/03/2021 at 23:00, WILF said:

I must have first read this book 35+ years ago, it’s absolutely fantastic.......I have read it dozens of times since:
" The Scourge Of The Swastika "

That one slipped past me earlier, Wilf. Night of August 2 /3?

On 27/03/2021 at 22:01, waltjnr said:

Bruno sutkus, sniper ace ,great read ,and you'll never say you had a tough life, his was another level ! 

Read it tonight, mate. Did you not sense a certain Iron Curtain between the complete absence of juxtaposition? :whistling:

On 30/03/2021 at 15:36, Tyla said:

I just bought Bury my heart too.

Verdict ....? :)

On 30/05/2021 at 13:00, Astanley said:

I would strongly recommend ,Where the poppies blow ...by J.L Stempel ...one of the best written ,moving books I have read .

Giss a clue, Stan? I could google it. But, why have fora if we all do that? ;)

On 30/05/2021 at 23:34, Waz said:

I'll order the Collins bird book when I get a chance, had a flick through it a good few years ago.

Long as you'll have recognised it's Very Much a working Field Guide then? In which case, frankly? There's none better! :good:

Be sure to get the latest edition, of course! Mine's the '99 HB and is practically falling to pieces! ? Bound to have been well surpassed by now though.

• Like 1

Sorry Kenny ...it's an account of the relationship between the WW1 soldier and nature ,he uses diaries and letters home ,it's like a homage to how the average British man was so deeply entrenched in his with his love and belonging to a long gone countryside ,it's a beautifully written ,lyrical and poetic arousing of your emotions ,you will feel pride ,nostalgia and recognition of your own relationship with what pastoral beauty these isles have left .

I strongly recommend this book ,intact anything by this author ,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone read any of John William Corringtons stuff ?

I guarantee you have watched one of his screen plays in an old film.

Have not read it for years but a personal favourite is a book called:

Shad Sentell  

Great character, great story.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/04/2021 at 14:24, sid g said:

todays charity shop finds 3 for a quid the 2 bird ones are going to a book dealer  Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly: Amazon.co.uk:  Connolly, Billy: 9781529361339: BooksBritish Birds (Encyclopedia) by  Donald Campbell - Paperback - First Paragon edition - from Alpha 2 Omega Books (SKU: 7935)BOOK OF BRITISH BIRDS (AA): COLLECTIF

Had the readers digest bird book bought as a Christmas present when it first come out can't remember the year though.lol

1 minute ago, sid g said:

i get £3  off the book dealer for em --- i take him a bag full once a month if i`m round the car boot or charity shops and see anything i think he night be interested in i`ll buy it i picked up 19 train book for £2  he gave me £40 he had em marked up at a tenner each a week later 

Think i am going to have to get Intouch with a book dealer after my eldest Daughter was commenting on all the books and other stuff she would be left to sort out when i pop my cloggs hinting why i dont start doing it now.?

• Like 1