Top Five Books?

35 minutes ago, sid g said:

i did the same with mine most of my terrier books and taxidermy went on ebay i`ve  had a mass sort out de  clutter make it easier for whoever ... 

Some of the old books i have on dogs animals and natural history were bought as presents growing up and are of sentimental value and it's an hard one parting with them though i suppose its better than them ending up in a skip in the distant future.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve got all of Howard’s Books the man was extremely interesting and intelligent to get away with what he did even though he did do a bit of time, I crossed paths with him a few times once he was sat

Enid Blyton? " Nature Lovers Book Number 1: Rambles With Zacky The Gypsy " Never forgotten that one. Zacky, a bloke living on his own, who children could approach without anyone suggesting he was

I was brought  up in the  same  village  where it's  based  and  filmed  ,the  author  Barry  Hines  lived there  I went to school  with  his 2 children  ,my  mam still lives there ,next street  to th

Posted Images

:icon_eek: '69??? Fukk Mee!!! Wow! Thanks.

No, it was Definitely early seventies when my mate got a copy. Perhaps it had dropped in price a bit by then? I remember us just sitting there, Gasping at each turn of the page. Those illustrations were breath taking.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:icon_eek: '69??? Fukk Mee!!! Wow! Thanks.

No, it was Definitely early seventies when my mate got a copy. Perhaps it had dropped in price a bit by then? I remember us just sitting there, Gasping at each turn of the page. Those illustrations were breath taking.

The reader's digest knocked some decent nature reference books out year's ago.

1 minute ago, sid g said:

once they`ve gone they`ve gone  in the end i was glad to see the back of mine kept a book case full of antique referance books because they fit in any that i buy now i lot up for the book dealer or charity bag em ..

I hear what you're saying just been in the spare room and had a glance through some of them got a copy of the encyclopedia of dogs 1970 with some stunning pictures of various breeds of dogs and a book by Walt Disney on jungle animal's.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I’ve been asked to start leading up a bit of education/ case study analysis on leadership at work so I’ve had the pleasure / disturbance of reading one of my favourite discursive war books in an analytical manner this week . 

This is a really really good book for anyone to read , you don’t need to be in the military or be conscious if it’s failings but I can’t recommend it enough . 

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Buy Black Hearts: One platoon's descent into madness in the Iraq war's triangle of death Reprints by Frederick, Jim (ISBN:...

black hearts is unlike any other book about war you’ve likely read . It’s extremely well written , objectively, no one is demonised which is a nigh on impossible task given its subject matter . 

it’s written with clarity , well appendiced and epilogued so the endless abbreviations aren’t mind numbing . It shows the banality , the violence , the utter frustration of a complicated counter insurgent campaign and the complete lack of leadership for the very start leading to the total breakdown  d command and a shocking final act . 

the importance of leadership at every level is stressed with no one escaping the criticisms . 

Ive read it before but with the in-depth reading of it I found more darker tones and was more affected by individual statements in the text . 

As the cover jacket says it’s probably the defining book of the Iraq war . This isn’t Peter de billere pushing tanks round a mapped model , or Tim Collins rallying the troops, this is Tony yribe slamming Iraq  insurgents into bonnet covers , this is Ben Britt counting the days until he inevitably gets turned into a wheelbarrow of meat , this is John diem sitting and starring cat the madness surrounding him as moral compasses get destroyed . 

this is Steven Green being so physically and mentally destroyed by the grind of 6 hours sleep in every 100 that he reaches the lowest point any human can and Carry’s out the worst us war crime since ww2. 

a powerful read 

• Like 2

Worth seven squid of my diminishing pension, Stiff?

Having looked, as deep as one would have wanted, into the eyes of an 'I was there. We did what we did. No theatrics.' SAS Trooper

Fukk me!!! My whole body's clenching up right now!!! I'm clawing at my beard!

Fukk you Brian!!! Fukk All those Wankers that want to Pretend they saw Half of what you saw!!! My heart fukking Bleeds for you!!

I am SO Fukking Torn from the Dead look in your eyes!

If Only we'd made the clasp!

19 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’ve been asked to start leading up a bit of education/ case study analysis on leadership at work so I’ve had the pleasure / disturbance of reading one of my favourite discursive war books in an analytical manner this week . 

This is a really really good book for anyone to read , you don’t need to be in the military or be conscious if it’s failings but I can’t recommend it enough . 

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Buy Black Hearts: One platoon's descent into madness in the Iraq war's triangle of death Reprints by Frederick, Jim (ISBN:...

black hearts is unlike any other book about war you’ve likely read . It’s extremely well written , objectively, no one is demonised which is a nigh on impossible task given its subject matter . 

it’s written with clarity , well appendiced and epilogued so the endless abbreviations aren’t mind numbing . It shows the banality , the violence , the utter frustration of a complicated counter insurgent campaign and the complete lack of leadership for the very start leading to the total breakdown  d command and a shocking final act . 

the importance of leadership at every level is stressed with no one escaping the criticisms . 

Ive read it before but with the in-depth reading of it I found more darker tones and was more affected by individual statements in the text . 

As the cover jacket says it’s probably the defining book of the Iraq war . This isn’t Peter de billere pushing tanks round a mapped model , or Tim Collins rallying the troops, this is Tony yribe slamming Iraq  insurgents into bonnet covers , this is Ben Britt counting the days until he inevitably gets turned into a wheelbarrow of meat , this is John diem sitting and starring cat the madness surrounding him as moral compasses get destroyed . 

this is Steven Green being so physically and mentally destroyed by the grind of 6 hours sleep in every 100 that he reaches the lowest point any human can and Carry’s out the worst us war crime since ww2. 

a powerful read 

Thanks for that, defy will pick it up, looks fascinating.

Some of my favourite books in no particular order -

Heart of Darkness

Shantaram 

The Alchemist 

There is three to start.

• Like 1