deerhound greyhoundx collie

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Stiffy, I have to say, that your posts on this thread are a tad silly, seeing as you didn't even know, until I pointed it out to you, that  there was saluki blood in your minshaw lurcher lol

As you know Exactly how the breed cane about about aye ? 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres a greyhound/deerhound(first x) cross collie/greyhound(first x) the photos in Bill Dohertys book its his mates dog looks mighty fine to me and a decent dog by all acount

A few deerhound greyhound collie greyhounds I've had over the years. All very capable catch dogs, the big dog in the top pic would take teeth no problem and work round the hole all day long. A litter

Morton is alway praising this x.... I'd personally want a drop of wheaton or bull instead of the collie if it was me?

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

A few moody mountain pics of a magnificent mountain stag hound ! LOL !

See it; 

IMG_0563.JPG.9dced0ce71b980f5ab57749fd25402d9.JPG

Slip it,

IMG_0562.JPG.79370c8b1bec7a72a9c2228b5a6e5522.JPG

Catch it,

IMG_0565.JPG.1c27e5a25a84d1423eeeaf92c00c7f56.JPG

And move on,

IMG_0560.JPG.4ffd956ba53fb001129f48a5235a21b6.JPG

Cheers.

Will he find them through scent on his own mate..

28 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Aye alright . 

we’re talking deerhound crosses and there was an insinuation in a post that the cross is too good to be used by a younger generation of owners when in reality they are dross 

Totally agree, it's like only the elite of the lurcher world can handle such a beast and a mere mortal could never do one justice or unlock their superior athletic abilities. 

You'll find most of these elite countrymen will also have a beddy in tow as they are an equally mystical beast not for the commoner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

lol 

cone on now , behave , where are all these magnificent mountain stag hounds ? 

a few pics on a moody mountain top or a few bodies on the deck from getting fired from a motor 

I know which one I prefer 

A good deer dog will have a crack at both jobs but I agree with you for a lot of people it’s a romantic image, the majestic rough coated lurcher stood on a snowy mountain top with a stag at its feet. Reality is a fair bit different.

Its a common thing on forums people posting pictures of their dog up on a mountain, staring in to the distance, usually with a garmin round it’s neck. They love to give the impression the dogs up there flattening stuff left right and centre when it’s probably just out a walk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Why would anyone want to breed a litter this time of year and take a.bitch out of action with a new season upon us ? Only a peddlar would knock out pups now 

So if a mans got a top class bitch & he needs a pup out of her, but she only breaks down in August then he can’t do it or he’s a peddler? Behave ?

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Thats fine if they dont need there bitch working half the winter ?

There probably loose a month or so anyway if they have a bitch that breaks down unless they run in season bitches a lot of beddy whippets have 2 seasons a year. I think missing one working season to get a replacement to bring on out of a good bitch to good dog isn’t to much of a problem tbh 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Thats fine if they dont need there bitch working half the winter ?

More than likely if they’re that keen to be out they’ll have another dog to run, if they only had that 1 bitch what happens when she picks up an injury or just needs a short rest mid season?

Seen and owned a few of this breeding back in the day a few stood out as the best lurchers i have seen one owned by a lad who was mentioned in Plummers books as been the first one to have one of his 3 quarter bred collie greyhounds though plummer never mentioned his other lurcher witch was a far better running dog imo. The other outstanding one a bitch of this breeding owned by an old mate from the east end of London that caught some tackle in her day.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, poxon said:

There probably loose a month or so anyway if they have a bitch that breaks down unless they run in season bitches a lot of beddy whippets have 2 seasons a year. I think missing one working season to get a replacement to bring on out of a good bitch to good dog isn’t to much of a problem tbh 

Bit of a problem if youcant do without ur bitch ? Iv never been lucky enough to have a bitch that comes in once a year ?

50 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

More than likely if they’re that keen to be out they’ll have another dog to run, if they only had that 1 bitch what happens when she picks up an injury or just needs a short rest mid season?

50 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Bit unfortunate when you lose your main dog in the field ? Hence another needed so you always have reserve ? So will have a litter next spring or buy in ?

55 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Bit unfortunate when you lose your main dog in the field ? Hence another needed so you always have reserve ? So will have a litter next spring or buy in ?

Can we just clear up all the question marks. Are you asking a question or giving your opinion? Fecking things do my head in ?

• Thanks 1