Beddlington x patterdale

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a patterdale is lacking that much to make ye think  adding Bedlington is gonna make em better terriers then you've a fcukin screw loose or your related to morton. 

A dog is a dog... If it does the job, then it don't matter whats in em? There's been all sorts added to all the working terrier strains over the yrs....to improve  Colour, coat, conformation and

Think that is a very true comment blackmag, iv said over and over again lads want different things from there terriers ones mans cull will be one mans pot of gold. Different land different type of ear

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, coco said:

But you ain’t answered the question how much percentage of border bedlington lakeland cairn or Scottish terrier in your black dogs or in the pedigree you’ve been given is jock x trixie nailer x Maggie and so forth if so you ain’t got a clue what makes them great perhaps it’s the black go faster colour atb

I cant tell you what percentage of what type of terrier is in the makeup of mine just as as you can't prove to me that beddlington has any influence in big black terriers. Lol. But one thing I can tell you for certain is that in over 30 years or probably ever a Bedlington has never dipped his cock in a bitch from the line. Lol. What sane thinking man would want to go backwards with his breeding. 

Edited by dogmandont
7 hours ago, dogmandont said:

I cant tell you what percentage of what type of terrier is in the makeup of mine just as as you can't prove to me that beddlington has any influence in big black terriers. Lol. But one thing I can tell you for certain is that in over 30 years or probably ever a Bedlington has never dipped his cock in a bitch from the line. Lol. What sane thinking man would want to go backwards with his breeding. 

What about before 30 years ago and what colour of terrier did your line start then ,,,,,,,,,,, and if your breeding black to black or throwinging in a chocolate now and again and following a line your still fowlding in that original colour that’s why patterdales come in all shapes and form smooths roughs curly coats,,, bully heads snippy heads because there throwing up what put in the past from years gone buy,,,,,,

13 hours ago, coco said:

But what’s in your mongrel,,,,,,,, names of dogs or the actual breed of the dogs behind them atb

Wait now I tell you that would be an insult to anyman I was gifted or given a pup you sound like a yank asking that.I can tell ya tis Coco it's none your business number 1 nd I can also tell you this with my life on it there's no bellingtons in em, and if there is we would be going back so far it well well diluted now, which I still think there's none. I'll also tell you this the black dog as been a far superior working terrier than the beddy. Far better dog by Along shot. The the blackdog or patterdale comes in all shapes and sizes that's down to the owner over time but it reflects how diverse the little black dog can be and still go strong not alot can be said for to many other breeds to do the same. It's up to you if you want to think the beddy has played more a role than it has that's personly to you. No hard feelings but there is a reason why the majority of black dogs fill the terrier kennels I think it's down to the individual "type" of black dog that can suit it's owner. It's the most diverse little terrier ever! We are all well aware all terriers started somewhere but my opinion for my lifetime the black dog trump's em all . I'm pulling out of this disagreement because I'm a whossy and can just see it going around in circles

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, morton said:

I better get rid of mine then,ive brothers,sisters,aunts and uncles,nephews and nieces,grandparents and shit that ive nearly forgotten the breeding of,what the majority of them have in common is a fairly decent history of hunting activity,above and more importantly below.A dog and bitch now that have had over 12 years of hard and serious graft under their scruffy worn collars,their grandparents worked longer,often at the coal face and related progeny have done their share.It bemuses me when folk talk down the Bedlington and have little education in their company.Better digging lads than you and me have witnessed what the Bedlington offers as an earth dog,serious terrier lads possibly set in their ways and views are now wanting something bred from the brother and sister i earlier mentioned and the main reason for that is they witnessed what the scruffy mongrels offered.I totally agree that the majority of Bedlingtons should be turned into compost because thats about their worth,the sneaky fecking things that see more graft than an awful lot of better known terriers and owners are dismissed out of hand because of peoples ignorance and prejudice.Its the same with Lakeys and i know of some that would put an awful lot of terriers to shame,well working ones.

No offence but you must have the goose that's lays the golden egg, it's not better men than me or you that determines a good dog it's the game in front of the dog, maybe your a one off. ?

• Like 5

Morton it depends on  your definition of what  hard serious graft is and that's a big claim to say they see a lot more work than a lot of better known terriers how would you know 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Morton it depends on  your definition of what  hard serious graft is and that's a big claim to say they see a lot more work than a lot of better known terriers how would you know 

He don't know. 

Ffs he claimed his terriers can hunt a line on a fox better than a pack of hounds. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Wait now I tell you that would be an insult to anyman I was gifted or given a pup you sound like a yank asking that.I can tell ya tis Coco it's none your business number 1 nd I can also tell you this with my life on it there's no bellingtons in em, and if there is we would be going back so far it well well diluted now, which I still think there's none. I'll also tell you this the black dog as been a far superior working terrier than the beddy. Far better dog by Along shot. The the blackdog or patterdale comes in all shapes and sizes that's down to the owner over time but it reflects how diverse the little black dog can be and still go strong not alot can be said for to many other breeds to do the same. It's up to you if you want to think the beddy has played more a role than it has that's personly to you. No hard feelings but there is a reason why the majority of black dogs fill the terrier kennels I think it's down to the individual "type" of black dog that can suit it's owner. It's the most diverse little terrier ever! We are all well aware all terriers started somewhere but my opinion for my lifetime the black dog trump's em all . I'm pulling out of this disagreement because I'm a whossy and can just see it going around in circles

Anyone can produce a non script terrier mind atb

• Haha 1

A friend of mine bred a 1st cross of this type many years ago. He bought a young adult Bedlington simply because he had always wanted one. It was KC with Gutchcommon blood (weren't they all?) and the prefix Foggyfurze rings a bell. It sired a litter over a smooth coated black terrier that he also owned at the time. The bitch was from Nuttall lines (aren't they all?). It was not to create an improved type of Bedlington or improve the terriers that he had and may have been an accidental mating. I cannot remember exactly.

The Beddlngton sire was a very nice dog that I liked. A poor coat and thin skinned, like a whippet, and too big for a working terrier but a lovely animal. Very laid back and no bother but loved work. Despite his size many times proved that he was not afraid of the dark or the things that a working terrier finds in the dark. My friend kept a male back from the litter.

Once again a nice dog but a bit big. Had a very nice coat. Curly like a Bedlington bit far harsher and tighter with an undercoat. A massive head and teeth. Looked like what I would imagine a working Kerry Blue would have looked like if such things ever really existed. He was also given the opportunity to prove himself and was never found lacking, but not day in day out and week in week.

A sort of family was developed. Only male dogs were kept by my friend and surplus pups given away. Always put back to the Patterdale type to keep the family going, simply because my friend liked this family of dogs. He was always very honest about their breeding and capabilities and never tried to pass them off as 100% digging dogs.

The original litter showed  obvious Bedlington blood, subsequent  litters never did. All black, all smooth coated. All with good, very good heads and huge teeth but good mouths. Did they enter the gene pool, almost all were given away as pups?

The "family" has now ended as terriers. The last dog that my friend owned was retired last year and given to a good man and his wife to be pampered and loved. Not before it lined one of his working ESS bitches, which was an accidental mating. He took the bitch for the injection but 3 pups were born. A  dog pup was kept and it looks like a black smooth coated ESS and does the same job as his dam. He has also proved to be better than the spaniels as a  dog for tracking shot deer. On fox days he always seems to be the 1st to find and last to give up.

• Like 4
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:53, Blackmag said:

Edited by morton
Went toxic
21 minutes ago, morton said:

I take it as standard that the folk that do more with their lurchers and terriers are not the better known folk and im happy with that.Some folk will do more in one day than others will do in a month,thus some terriers that have worked for a few seasons will never see a seasons work.My Bedlingtons that i have here now are worked far less than my lads,he is out 2 or 3 days a week,season after season,as i mentioned earlier his eldest terriers have about 12 seasons,between them,of getting out and grafting,often below on a regular basis over many a year.That to me is serious graft.He accounts for his fair share,a share others seem unhappy about because Bedlingtons are involved.

A good dog to me is a good dog regardless of it's breed and I always like to see a good dog  work but likes been said quarry and location play a big part Morton and you could always say about the standard they actually work at that May suit some but not others we all have different views as you know 

Edited by Blackmag