Beddlington x patterdale

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a patterdale is lacking that much to make ye think  adding Bedlington is gonna make em better terriers then you've a fcukin screw loose or your related to morton. 

A dog is a dog... If it does the job, then it don't matter whats in em? There's been all sorts added to all the working terrier strains over the yrs....to improve  Colour, coat, conformation and

Think that is a very true comment blackmag, iv said over and over again lads want different things from there terriers ones mans cull will be one mans pot of gold. Different land different type of ear

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I can't knock a man for wanting to breed something better than what he has..... That's what we have all tried to recreate yes? The biggest problem imo when it comes to dogs bred for working or pets is that person's Honesty...... I've been around a few different folks, and there's only one gentleman in 25 yrs who I can honestly say sat me down and told me the good and bad traits of the dogs I could of used from him?lots more will tell you what you want to hear?

I get ya I honestly do , just why not add a good black dog why beddy they would not be renowned for there working ability underground  it's sounds abit more like an experiment than anything else.

1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Im not understanding tank, better at what? Because it certainly ain't digging dogs. 

Some lads do dig to beddys or beddy types some are a bit big for fox job so as the lads like the beddy will out cross to bring size but will add beddy back in crate a type that suit them , like saying why was bull type added to black dogs ?? 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, tank34 said:

Or why the bull Russell was it not to add gameness an size for a job ??

Bull Russells are for the most part a thing of the past and I can't think of one instance where adding beddy would benefit a line of digging dogs. 

14 hours ago, dogmandont said:

If a patterdale is lacking that much to make ye think  adding Bedlington is gonna make em better terriers then you've a fcukin screw loose or your related to morton. 

I wont be crossing the two I dont have any beddies I wouldnt rule out the cross or any cross between any working terrier breeds and I said nothing about adding beddy blood to improve a patterdale Iv always used the spade on pats that are lacking fixes them every time.?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Bull Russells are for the most part a thing of the past and I can't think of one instance where adding beddy would benefit a line of digging dogs. 

Maybe... But who's to say adding some black dog to a beddy wouldn't improve the chances of a type similar in looks but with a good work ethic? Same way you would add wheaton or bull to a runner to get what you need for the job? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

It's not adding beddy to improve the black dog its added to improve the beddy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

The problem I think Daniel is certain breeds have been tried and tested over time and never came good after all the time been put into them apart from the odd case of course. I do agree tho if a dog does his job don't knock em but it's not as simple as just that.

The patterdales a mongrel no breed standard what so ever so where does the 14/15 inch patterdales come from there’s only one other terrier that size ....... makes you think and I’ve had them 20 yrs lol atb

• Like 2
1 hour ago, coco said:

The patterdales a mongrel no breed standard what so ever so where does the 14/15 inch patterdales come from there’s only one other terrier that size ....... makes you think and I’ve had them 20 yrs lol atb

I'd be of the same opinion some people think they are pure with a pedigree set in stone they have had all sorts bred in and out and thats what made them what they are.

5 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

I'd be of the same opinion some people think they are pure with a pedigree set in stone they have had all sorts bred in and out and thats what made them what they are.

Spot on these pedigrees most terriers lads have are jock fox only x trixxie fox only and sore forth they don’t say Lakeland x border x bull Russel do they and if you can go back 5 generations are the people alive who can vouch what’s been put in them  because there black you presume there black dogs liver bedlington x blue bedlinog will produce black atb

• Like 1
19 hours ago, dogmandont said:

I put a Beddy dog over a mates black bitch a few years ago,according to him the progeny are reliable grafters and more settled in nature.I know another lad that owned a Beddy dog and did an awful lot of digging to it,in his vicinity a few lads wanted a reliable stud to put over their terriers,they went for a black terrier that had seen very little rather than opt for the better and more proven digging dog.Thats the problem the beddy faces,ignorance.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, coco said:

Spot on these pedigrees most terriers lads have are jock fox only x trixxie fox only and sore forth they don’t say Lakeland x border x bull Russel do they and if you can go back 5 generations are the people alive who can vouch what’s been put in them  because there black you presume there black dogs liver bedlington x blue bedlinog will produce black atb

I lined a red Fell,bred from generations of such all the pups where black.part of the reason for that is that bedlingtons,Fells/Lakeys have a common ancestry and when folk look to the origins of the black working terrier they refuse the concept that beddy blood played its part.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, morton said:

I lined a red Fell,bred from generations of such all the pups where black.part of the reason for that is that bedlingtons,Fells/Lakeys have a common ancestry and when folk look to the origins of the black working terrier they refuse the concept that beddy blood played its part.

Agree these black terriers must have been bred from outta space  there still arguing over who bredsmithy who worked smithy who owned smithy who did they breed smithy with if the black terrier was that good I’m sure the records kept would have been a lot better not just hearsay all the time working dogs are just bred for work so breed what you think is [BANNED TEXT] for you and enjoy them atb

Edited by coco
  • Like 2

My digging mate had a beddyxfell about 20 year ago, he was a good fox dog to ground and an extremely good dog to push foxes out of cover, bred over in the west, mayo if memory serves me right, but he was probably a one of. 

• Like 1