Coronavirus

8 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

This Nation def needs to pull its socks up on many fronts as we def nosediving to mediocrity on lots of fronts .

Stop pissing in the tea urn then ;) 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know what you mean me and my youngest lad are going wild camping for a few days he's austic and has a mad interest in sas so I have set it up with one of my perms were we will set up in a wood survi

"We fell asleep in one world, and woke up in another. Suddenly Disney is out of magic, Paris is no longer romantic, New York doesn’t stand up anymore, the Chinese wall is no longer a fortress, and Mec

Ok lads, now ive had a couple of emails sent to me, one of em, well what can i say, im not very good with words, but these come from the heart, Gnasher, hes offered me more help, than 4 charities that

Posted Images

3 hours ago, king said:

So how would they go about training the dog to smell the cancer.

Would it be a simple case of playing hide and seek with a surgically removed cancer tumour concealed in something to train the dog.

As man trying to replicate the smell of cancer would be nay on impossible I would of thought.

It is exactly the same as training for other scents such as drugs, explo' or weapons. You get an active dog with a good play drive, get it to retrieve a tennis ball, then to find the ball. Then the ball is hidden where the dog can almost but not quite get to it and when the dog positively indicates where the ball is it gets rewarded. That is extended to make it  more difficult and something bearing the scent that the dog is required to indicate is also placed next to the tennis ball. Once the dog is indicating correctly every time then the article with scent is hidden without the tennis ball. Every time the dog indicates the location of the scent it gets rewarded with a tennis ball in such a way that it thinks the ball appears when it indicates the other scent.

The scent for cancer can be obtained in various ways. For example someone who is known to have cancer is asked to place a clean handkerchief over their mouth and they breathe through it for a while. The handkerchief is then sealed in a nylon bag until it can be used as a training aid. Or you could use a phial of blood from someone who has cancer. Once the dog is indicating the cancer scent you have to remove the cancer scent and place an identical article from a healthy person in the hide. Over time the dog starts to identify just the cancer element out of the other scents that are associated with the sample.

One of the problems with training dogs for things like cancer or dead body detection in the UK is that the law does not allow body parts of any kind to be used. They have to be disposed of by incineration. The best you can get are the empty bags of blood from transfusions.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

It is exactly the same as training for other scents such as drugs, explo' or weapons. You get an active dog with a good play drive, get it to retrieve a tennis ball, then to find the ball. Then the ball is hidden where the dog can almost but not quite get to it and when the dog positively indicates where the ball is it gets rewarded. That is extended to make it  more difficult and something bearing the scent that the dog is required to indicate is also placed next to the tennis ball. Once the dog is indicating correctly every time then the article with scent is hidden without the tennis ball. Every time the dog indicates the location of the scent it gets rewarded with a tennis ball in such a way that it thinks the ball appears when it indicates the other scent.

The scent for cancer can be obtained in various ways. For example someone who is known to have cancer is asked to place a clean handkerchief over their mouth and they breathe through it for a while. The handkerchief is then sealed in a nylon bag until it can be used as a training aid. Or you could use a phial of blood from someone who has cancer. Once the dog is indicating the cancer scent you have to remove the cancer scent and place an identical article from a healthy person in the hide. Over time the dog starts to identify just the cancer element out of the other scents that are associated with the sample.

One of the problems with training dogs for things like cancer or dead body detection in the UK is that the law does not allow body parts of any kind to be used. They have to be disposed of by incineration. The best you can get are the empty bags of blood from transfusions.

That's interesting mate.

The nose on the dog is an amazing thing.

And smelling cancer or covid etc.

Is amazing really.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, king said:

That's interesting mate.

Is amazing really.

I've got a dog that can sniff out Covid, the c**t won't leave my Magpie alone. 

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, king said:

That's interesting mate.

Is amazing really.

The way I used to explain it is that a dog's sense of smell is like our eyesight. When looking at a rope made out of millions of different coloured threads we can see the whole rope and the different colours of the threads that make it up. If we examine the rope closely we can see from the colours that some of the threads don't go the whole way. They are only found in some parts of the rope. But other coloured threads can be seen to go the whole way through the rope from beginning to end.

When you train a dog to search the dog can smell millions of different scents. What you have to train it to do is identify the scents that you want him to follow or indicate, and ignore all the others. Just like you could with the coloured rope.

What I find amazing is how dogs know which way the track goes. You never see a dog tracking a rabbit back to where it came from. ?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

What I find amazing is how dogs know which way the track goes. You never see a dog tracking a rabbit back to where it came from. ?

Or the difference between a fresh shot pigeon and one you've got set up in the decoy pattern ..

Truly amazing thing is the dogs nose 

22 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

The way I used to explain it is that a dog's sense of smell is like our eyesight. When looking at a rope made out of millions of different coloured threads we can see the whole rope and the different colours of the threads that make it up. If we examine the rope closely we can see from the colours that some of the threads don't go the whole way. They are only found in some parts of the rope. But other coloured threads can be seen to go the whole way through the rope from beginning to end.

When you train a dog to search the dog can smell millions of different scents. What you have to train it to do is identify the scents that you want him to follow or indicate, and ignore all the others. Just like you could with the coloured rope.

When i take the dog out he s good at tracking hares.

And exactly like you said he will pick up the scent and follow it about 20yds and sometimes turns on a dime and tracks the other way.

So yea you are spot on they do know which way the scent has gone.

How they know I'm not sure.

It must be the strength of the scent itself I think.

Similar to seeing cars being followed by a chopper with thermal you can see the heat signature on the ground from the tyres then it fades.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, king said:

When i take the dog out he s good at tracking hares.

And exactly like you said he will pick up the scent and follow it about 20yds and sometimes turns on a dime and tracks the other way.

So yea you are spot on they do know which way the scent has gone.

How they know I'm not sure.

It must be the strength of the scent itself I think.

Similar to seeing cars being followed by a chopper with thermal you can see the heat signature on the ground from the tyres then it fades.

That just about sums it up. The thing is that the scent can in some cases last for days so the dog has to be able to detect a minute change in the strength of scent. I once tried to get my dog to track backwards to try and re-trace the track to try and find a gun that had been hidden. It was like trying to push wet spaghetti up a cat's arse. I got it in the end but it wasn't an easy find. But I think that it would be possible to train a dog to track back if you needed to.

20 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

That just about sums it up. The thing is that the scent can in some cases last for days so the dog has to be able to detect a minute change in the strength of scent. I once tried to get my dog to track backwards to try and re-trace the track to try and find a gun that had been hidden. It was like trying to push wet spaghetti up a cat's arse. I got it in the end but it wasn't an easy find. But I think that it would be possible to train a dog to track back if you needed to.

Standing back and observing the dogs every move.gives a lot of clues away.

I'm constantly watching the dog while out.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, king said:

Standing back and observing the dogs every move.gives a lot of clues away.

I'm constantly watching the dog while out.

But like many things in life most are to busy to notice and just shout at the dog calling them headstrong, as with kids some of the brightest dogs become some of the worst behaved because of a lack of understanding, motivation and stimulation, look at some of the staffies taken from dogs homes and trained to a high standard in detection work, uncontrollable nuisance in its council flat with 10mins exercise a day 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Greyman said:

But like many things in life most are to busy to notice and just shout at the dog calling them headstrong, as with kids some of the brightest dogs become some of the worst behaved because of a lack of understanding, motivation and stimulation, look at some of the staffies taken from dogs homes and trained to a high standard in detection work, uncontrollable nuisance in its council flat with 10mins exercise a day 

He done well there mate.

Cracking dogs the staffs.

The amount of energy they have got is impressive..

• Like 1