Coronavirus

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Without reading the link B H, I only seen this on the news yesterday teatime. Simply cannot believe a drug that's been available for 60 years, to help astha/breathing difficulties etc, hasn't been thought about being used, by any scientists, doctors, medical experts or whatever, until now?!!

It will have been being used from day one mate. But it takes time to do clinical trials.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know what you mean me and my youngest lad are going wild camping for a few days he's austic and has a mad interest in sas so I have set it up with one of my perms were we will set up in a wood survi

"We fell asleep in one world, and woke up in another. Suddenly Disney is out of magic, Paris is no longer romantic, New York doesn’t stand up anymore, the Chinese wall is no longer a fortress, and Mec

Ok lads, now ive had a couple of emails sent to me, one of em, well what can i say, im not very good with words, but these come from the heart, Gnasher, hes offered me more help, than 4 charities that

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

It will have been being used from day one mate. But it takes time to do clinical trials.

Ok, did you know a trial of six thousand covid patients was being carried out? Well, I suppose you did, because you're into all that statistics, numbers etc lol. But I don't think the vast majority will have known about it

Edited by shaaark
Just now, shaaark said:

Ok, did you know a trial of six thousand covid patients was being carroid out? Well, I suppose you did, because you're into all that statistics, numbers etc lol. But I don't think the vast majority will have known about it

LOL, nah mate, I didn't know, I didn't get that email from nerd club, LOL. But what difference does that make?

It's just how research works mate. It's slow.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

LOL, nah mate, I didn't know, I didn't get that email from nerd club, LOL. But what difference does that make?

It's just how research works mate. It's slow.

Lol wasn't insinuating that you're a nerd mate lol. Just that you normally keep abreast of all this research, statistics etc ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Lol wasn't insinuating that you're a nerd mate lol. Just that you normally keep abreast of all this research, statistics etc ?

Nah I know, I was just self deprecating. No offence taken or intended. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bell said:

My old man was taking Dexy in the months before he died from cancer, i always assumed it was a steroid.

It is ... They use steroids to treat asthma 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shaaark said:

Without reading the link B H, I only seen this on the news yesterday teatime. Simply cannot believe a drug that's been available for 60 years, to help astha/breathing difficulties etc, hasn't been thought about being used, by any scientists, doctors, medical experts or whatever, until now?!!

The Recovery Trial randimises patients to various treatments, Dex being just one. We got a massive number of patients in quick time, which means the data painted a picture quickly and it will continue and evolve as we learn. The rationale for trialling Dex was, of course, it's success in other treatments so we compare it to see how it performs against other drugs, taking into account how sick the patient is, etc etc . I work in research and the Covid trials are rolling out rapid fire, because there's so many questions surrounding the whole thing. 

There's another trial up and running for earlier symptoms where folks present with ambulatory Covid, but aren't sick enough for admission; it's called Atomic2. We randomise to standard of care (self care as usual at home) or a commonly used antibiotic called Azithromicyn (it's a macrolide, and has anti viral properties). Most people have taken that for a chest infection at some point. It'll be really interesting to see the results of that trial.

I am a research nerd, unashamedly ??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, lurchergrrl said:

The Recovery Trial randimises patients to various treatments, Dex being just one. We got a massive number of patients in quick time, which means the data painted a picture quickly and it will continue and evolve as we learn. The rationale for trialling Dex was, of course, it's success in other treatments so we compare it to see how it performs against other drugs, taking into account how sick the patient is, etc etc . I work in research and the Covid trials are rolling out rapid fire, because there's so many questions surrounding the whole thing. 

There's another trial up and running for earlier symptoms where folks present with ambulatory Covid, but aren't sick enough for admission; it's called Atomic2. We randomise to standard of care (self care as usual at home) or a commonly used antibiotic called Azithromicyn (it's a macrolide, and has anti viral properties). Most people have taken that for a chest infection at some point. It'll be really interesting to see the results of that trial.

? ........ ah right. I'm obviously not a research nerd, as born hunter, and now yourself, can gather. 

Stay safe ? ? ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

? ........ ah right. I'm obviously not a research nerd, as born hunter, and now yourself, can gather. 

Stay safe ? ? ?

Well, I can safely say, getting involved on a study or trial can quite literally change your life, and/or the future care your family and friends receive. Research is why we have medical treatments full stop. Its a shame more people don't know, to be fair. I take every opportunity to spread the word ?

I'm not a randomer, by the way, I just haven't posted for about 5 years ?

14 minutes ago, lurchergrrl said:

Well, I can safely say, getting involved on a study or trial can quite literally change your life, and/or the future care your family and friends receive. Research is why we have medical treatments full stop. Its a shame more people don't know, to be fair. I take every opportunity to spread the word ?

I'm not a randomer, by the way, I just haven't posted for about 5 years ?

Yeah it's good that you're spreading the word. I think a bit more openness would be appreciated by the general public. Like myself, a lot of people don't have the necessary skills to know where/how to research some of these medical findings etc.

Re 'randomer', yep, thought I remembered your name ?

4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yeah it's good that you're spreading the word. I think a bit more openness would be appreciated by the general public. Like myself, a lot of people don't have the necessary skills to know where/how to research some of these medical findings etc.

Re 'randomer', yep, thought I remembered your name ?

Allow me to bust out the nerd cape ? Research info can be found on the national site https://www.nihr.ac.uk/

Or you can google whatever trial they're talking about in the news, plenty of info that way.

Or if you're unwell and having treatment, or have a condition like, say, diabetes etc, ask if your hospital has a research department or lead on the unit. 

And ya, I've been lurking now and then but mostly keep to myself these days. This is one topic where I felt I could weigh in ?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, lurchergrrl said:

Allow me to bust out the nerd cape ? Research info can be found on the national site https://www.nihr.ac.uk/

Or you can google whatever trial they're talking about in the news, plenty of info that way.

Or if you're unwell and having treatment, or have a condition like, say, diabetes etc, ask if your hospital has a research department or lead on the unit. 

And ya, I've been lurking now and then but mostly keep to myself these days. This is one topic where I felt I could weigh in ?

No probs, will have a look at that link when I have a bit more time tomorrow ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lurchergrrl said:

Are you single ??

Going by all the geeky shite @Born Hunter posts I'd say he is ... Maybe you two could go to a science convention or something together 

• Haha 4