Coursing dogs for all round lurcher work

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a decent dog man should not make nothing crack imo no its limits, everything has them.

i don't normally do this but just for the crack 2 runs 2 rabbits and home.

don't doubt you have seen a decent dog or two, I have and do own dogs that can only be described as top draw, don't meen you have to push them to breaking point though, just idiotic imho

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Haven't seen collie X's do either on the lamp. The worst stalker was a big tall Heinz 57 lurcher X lurcher ?

Correct there mate. I've seen pure whippets do it, and like you say 'bitsa' types do it. And worst of all, stalking AND opening up quite regularly, a bull/grey x collie/grey

1 hour ago, Declan. said:

I’ve thought about putting my saluki bull greyhound over a nice coursing bitch hopefully throw me something a little bit lighter with a bit more pace etc but then I question how much saluki is too much saluki? ??‍♂️ 

When the cnuts just want to chase and have no mouth??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Declan. said:

I’ve thought about putting my saluki bull greyhound over a nice coursing bitch hopefully throw me something a little bit lighter with a bit more pace etc but then I question how much saluki is too much saluki? ??‍♂️ 

Just a pinch his enough fa a lurcher man's jukel atb bill

2 hours ago, Declan. said:

To racey over sighthound bred Lurcher is the way to go fella Wheaton,bedlington,collie bred take ya pick all pups will be variable in size an type any way as none breed true to type and It’ll all depend on the pup you pick out the litter as your keeper. 

• 8 months later...
On 02/11/2019 at 10:53, Allan P said:

What sort of hedges are we discussing here? Some of the Devon banks around my area a Kangaroo would struggle with. 

True sheep net thick thorn with sheep bet other side kind of hedges round here 

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 19:45, trigger2 said:

I often read on here about adding coursing dogs into lurcher lines and was wondering if given a choice of a well bred coursing dog or a well bred lurcher dog which would you choose. 

I don’t know a great deal about coursing dogs and am not one for fancy names but would a coursing dog give you any added advantage for all round work and would they be hardy enough to take the broad spectrum of work that can be given to a multi tasking lurcher.  

The majority of coursing lines seldom become proficient in what they were supposed to be bred for,pointless throwing that sort of shite into proper lurcher work.

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, morton said:

The majority of coursing lines seldom become proficient in what they were supposed to be bred for,pointless throwing that sort of shite into proper lurcher work.

Depends don’t it Morton ?greyhounds an deerhounds x we’re all originally bred as courseing dogs an got put in to base bloods to produce handy Pot filling Lurchers why wouldn’t the same happen if a saluki greyhound got added to base bloods or Lurchers that needed turboing up a bit surly it’s the same sort of thing for the folks that like a bit of saluki blood plus salukix are still worked for that job today while you wouldn’t find that many deerhoundxs or greyhounds doing it but handy Lurchers are still bred from the latter sight hounds?

• Like 3

Out of all the coursing bred dogs I’ve seen only 2 bitches could be classed as anything close to an all rounder, as a type they’re not an never will be an all round lurcher, but crossed with good lamping dogs that’s a different story

• Like 3