Coursing dogs for all round lurcher work

I often read on here about adding coursing dogs into lurcher lines and was wondering if given a choice of a well bred coursing dog or a well bred lurcher dog which would you choose. 

I don’t know a great deal about coursing dogs and am not one for fancy names but would a coursing dog give you any added advantage for all round work and would they be hardy enough to take the broad spectrum of work that can be given to a multi tasking lurcher.  

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a decent dog man should not make nothing crack imo no its limits, everything has them.

i don't normally do this but just for the crack 2 runs 2 rabbits and home.

don't doubt you have seen a decent dog or two, I have and do own dogs that can only be described as top draw, don't meen you have to push them to breaking point though, just idiotic imho

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I often read on here about adding coursing dogs into lurcher lines and was wondering if given a choice of a well bred coursing dog or a well bred lurcher dog which would you choose. 

I don’t know a great deal about coursing dogs and am not one for fancy names but would a coursing dog give you any added advantage for all round work and would they be hardy enough to take the broad spectrum of work that can be given to a multi tasking lurcher.  

Theres someone in 1 a them lurcher work books uses coursing dogs for ferreting and coursing dont know about lamping it dosnt say but expect the be sound could be someone off here

Da  me they got ta be fa best xed with more base bred jukels  some of the stronger types usually have , seems like lots a the modern lines are getting lighter framed less constitution   These coursing types best used da producing a decent jukel atb bill

• Like 1

I fancy trying a well bred coursing dog as a lamper/moocher.

Need to do my homework first though, right lines etc.

Have read good stuff about a dog named Scout on here, a few years back now. Thats the blood i'd like to try....

22 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I fancy trying a well bred coursing dog as a lamper/moocher.

Need to do my homework first though, right lines etc.

Have read good stuff about a dog named Scout on here, a few years back now. Thats the blood i'd like to try....

This is why I am asking bosun as perhaps somewhere down the line I would like to try one myself.

A personally would not own dog with out coursing blood in.Has to be right blood if so can turn there hands to most thinks take a lot of stick and are a pleasure to have around that’s just my opinion dog a got here got scout in his pedigree he 21 months old and going great guns rest litter flying too.

• Like 6

I don’t think I’ve got the mind set to train one for my needs tbh such a dog would be waisted on me but think a courseing dog to a over base blooded lurcher would suit me more something I could put a bit of basic training in to I like a dog that listens an takes commands rather than that distant sighthound look. I do like some of theses saluki bull greyhounds I lamp with one that belongs to a mate pretty decent dog tbh big 28-29tts works rabbits lovely ?

Edited by poxon
  • Like 1

Not my cuppa tea i just mooch about mostly and lamp get on grate with mine now grey beddy whip collie deerhound would have another similar bred in a instant. I would like to try a collie grey one day aswell I have zero needs for any coursing dog bred dogs or a mix of the 2 I'm happy bunny bashing ?

• Like 2

open some eyes, I have lamped and mouched with pure sals first crosses and line bred, all take to any task given chance, I have started some lamping as older dogs and pick it up quick enough, my curent one lamps ok I just do it to give her a bit more work, but I used to lamp a lot years ago. just to add start daytime first, then lamp.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 1

From my experience i read all the negatives in the early 80s about 1st cross saluki /greyhounds. i watched one in the early 80s for years a mates dog ferreted /lamped/ and ran local daytime hares with good sucess. Opened my eyes for sure as i watched a fair few 1st crosses they had a nose stamina hunting brain and low and behold they were even trained to a decent standard. If you can get on their wavelength and gel with them a very good type in my opinion. I dont have much experience with the modern line bred or coursing dogs these days.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, darbo said:

From my experience i read all the negatives in the early 80s about 1st cross saluki /greyhounds. i watched one in the early 80s for years a mates dog ferreted /lamped/ and ran local daytime hares with good sucess. Opened my eyes for sure as i watched a fair few 1st crosses they had a nose stamina hunting brain and low and behold they were even trained to a decent standard. If you can get on their wavelength and gel with them a very good type in my opinion. I dont have much experience with the modern line bred or coursing dogs these days.

I had my own line bred stuff 70s/80s, then a pure, first crosses three quarters etc, but line bred to me just have a bit more about em, I would like to see a line bred crossed with a collie instead of a f1 collie grey I think they be better.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, two crows said:

I had my own line bred stuff 70s/80s, then a pure, first crosses three quarters etc, but line bred to me just have a bit more about em, I would like to see a line bred crossed with a collie instead of a f1 collie grey I think they be better.

i have had a saluki/grey x collie grey and a line bred collie grey to a 3/4 saluki 1/grey x whippet grey my best bitch. If you say the line bred has more about them then i take on board what you are saying.atb

• Like 1
1 hour ago, poxon said:

I don’t think I’ve got the mind set to train one for my needs tbh such a dog would be waisted on me but think a courseing dog to a over base blooded lurcher would suit me more something I could put a bit of basic training in to I like a dog that listens an takes commands rather than that distant sighthound look. I do like some of theses saluki bull greyhounds I lamp with one that belongs to a mate pretty decent dog tbh big 28-29tts works rabbits lovely ?

there deff a good x  pit x grey x saluki x grey , i seen one work lamping years back, took rabbits and foxes easy, was 26 in well built dog , not bad re call either. the lad i was with that night,  picked the rabbits  for the dog, and the dog caught well, didnt have it out of control  etc. the lad was more into foxes  really, and dog did well at them , only 1/4 saluki  the rest  pit x grey i always wanted a collie x grey x pit x grey , back then  but it was either collie x grey or pit x grey, not many were bred to each other , this was in the 80s , ended up with straight collie x greys , got one now old bryn, been great rabbit dog in his 12 years, but would have preferred  a pit xgrey x collie x grey , but there you go ,   but deff coursing dog x lurcher  type dog you get good alrounder  i reckon   lamping/ mooching in the day.

• Like 2