David platts

This may well be the worst photograph posted on THL or at the very least the most tenuous of links to the topic. If you look very closely in the top right hand corner the arse end of the large hairy dog is an AW Deerhound.

In my defence I was photographing the two black Fells on couples. Tow Law show if I remember correctly circa 1984.

By all accounts those Deerhounds did not only do what you would expect such an animal to do but also took numbers of rabbits on the lamp that would put a purpose bred Lurcher to shame.

002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred several litters in the 1980s/1990s,..we worked them most nights,... Straight cross twixt Ardkinglas Deerhound and Irish Coursing Greyhounds.. The next cross,  back to the Greyhound was

he looks a happy chap

It's right to remember good old times, and good old boys... I have travelled, all the way up one side of Scotland, and come back down the other...  As you know, nothing much beats the place

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TOMO said:

I remember hearing those tales in edrd......and at the time thinking lol.......

but theres a member on here and on moochers ...who used to go up there to Tom's .....and he spoke highly of Tom...

He’s not been mentioned till now cos this is a Platts thread.Ive been going up there since early 90s, quite  a few others on here used to go up as well. Lads from all over the country used to go up there to run there dogs. Tom’s not been in good health for a few years now, he got rid of the last of his dogs a month or two back (not out of his stuff anyway) . 

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MickC said:

He’s not been mentioned till now cos this is a Platts thread.Ive been going up there since early 90s, quite  a few others on here used to go up as well. Lads from all over the country used to go up there to run there dogs. Tom’s not been in good health for a few years now, he got rid of the last of his dogs a month or two back (not out of his stuff anyway) . 

How much deerhound was in his dogs mick?

1 hour ago, MickC said:

It's right to remember good old times, and good old boys...:clapper:

I have travelled, all the way up one side of Scotland, and come back down the other...

As you know, nothing much beats the place for a hunting man...

So much open space and freedom to use a lurcher, as it should be used....especially a Deerhound type...?

God's Own Country folk call it,...and it is not without good reason.:good:

3-Eddie with Celt and the author with Lucy on Isla - Copy - Copy.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, shaaark said:

How much deerhound was in his dogs mick?

He ran the 7/8 G 1/8 D mainly but he had various xs of them as well which he bred back to his 7/8 stuff later on when the 7/8 stuff was getting up in age . Ive sent you a pm .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did a bit of letter writing to and fro with T.Reilly long before the internet and forums etc. He offered me a pup free of charge but i didnt take him up on it as i had just bought one in but i thought it was a very kind gesture.

IMG_1125.JPG

• Like 7