• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just witnessed this bloke give a funny hand shake and get off with a parking ticket  

I think masonry went through a phase in the 70's-80's where it was massive. But as it grew it evolved into something it hadn't been for 500 plus years. They bought big masonic halls, had committees an

.....she's still doing her hair ffs!   The masons is really just a grown mans dining club. They do massive amounts for charity. My lodge meets once a month and we raise a lump sum each time we do me

Posted Images

5 hours ago, leegreen said:

I do a couple of charity events for the Mason's, they are fishing events for disadvantaged children.

A nice day for the kids, but there's a lot of ego massaging going on "for charity mate"

I did a lot with the fishing charity. It was one of the best things I'd done. Fishing with groups of ex servicemen with addiction and mental health was the one I enjoyed and thought they got most from.

I'd agree with the ego thing....but then a lot of group charity support is like that I think. Any group that draws it's membership from a large base will have a certain type of person coming to the fore (as opposed to a charity created by people affected by a certain issue). 

• Like 1
On 06/01/2018 at 22:38, South hams hunter said:

Masons aren't a patch on the buffalos!!!

There used to be a buffalo's lodge in our local boozer going back over 20years ago.Loads of the OAPs from around the village were members.My dads best mate Lofty had been a member in his younger days but had stopped going.He was a proper funny f****r,Always pissed and a proper joker who if you wanted everyone to know something just tell Lofty and tell him to keep it to himself.But no matter how pissed he was and he liked to get well pissed you could never get him to talk about what went on in the Buffs

• Like 1

Several of my customers are in it, tarmacers,  farmers, foot trimmer all sorts, one of the farmers I work for almost weekly  , we get on really well, our in joke when I meet him on the yard is " you out goat shagging tonight "? He then tells me where to go! 😁 apparently they don't have a pest controller in their lodge these days, he's said several times that I would be welcome but it's not my thing. 

My Oldman was invited to join several times wasn't his thing. I was doing a job on a lodge and this old fella ex sas apparently gave us a tour told us all the nonsense, we were only erecting a smoking shelter outside lol 

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

From everything im told the masons isnt what it used to be....even ex plod turn their noses up at it nowadays....shame in many ways.

I think masonry went through a phase in the 70's-80's where it was massive. But as it grew it evolved into something it hadn't been for 500 plus years. They bought big masonic halls, had committees and the tales/conspiracys grew as well. Throw in a few bent coppers and suddenly what the hell was it in those few decades.... certainly not what it ever had been and not what it is now. 

Now they have big crumbling halls, an old guard who won't let go of em and a big downturn in certain areas. But we also have a massive shift into something more realistic, something new and also in a way something more traditional as well. 

This month I'm going to a new lodge that's simply for fieldsports enthusiasts. There are lodges popping up everywhere with specific interests. Groups of decent lads, similar interests, no discussion of politics or religion (fck but we could all do with more of that!), flexible meeting times, travelling lodges etc. 

We are doing all sorts of good things from clay shooting, to fishing charitys to motorcycle lodges. 

When you need to worry about hosting weddings to pay for the masonic hall roof it's easy to loose touch with phoning the member who's going through a divorce or not seeing his kids. We need 100 grand for our hall roof....I'm arguing to give that to small local charities and meet in the village hall in the heart of the community or the back room of a struggling pub. 

Masonry might not now be what it was in the 80's in terms of numbers...but that doesn't mean the 80's were a high point in its history....I'd say that during that period it actually lost its way.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

I think masonry went through a phase in the 70's-80's where it was massive. But as it grew it evolved into something it hadn't been for 500 plus years. They bought big masonic halls, had committees and the tales/conspiracys grew as well. Throw in a few bent coppers and suddenly what the hell was it in those few decades.... certainly not what it ever had been and not what it is now. 

Now they have big crumbling halls, an old guard who won't let go of em and a big downturn in certain areas. But we also have a massive shift into something more realistic, something new and also in a way something more traditional as well. 

This month I'm going to a new lodge that's simply for fieldsports enthusiasts. There are lodges popping up everywhere with specific interests. Groups of decent lads, similar interests, no discussion of politics or religion (fck but we could all do with more of that!), flexible meeting times, travelling lodges etc. 

We are doing all sorts of good things from clay shooting, to fishing charitys to motorcycle lodges. 

When you need to worry about hosting weddings to pay for the masonic hall roof it's easy to loose touch with phoning the member who's going through a divorce or not seeing his kids. We need 100 grand for our hall roof....I'm arguing to give that to small local charities and meet in the village hall in the heart of the community or the back room of a struggling pub. 

Masonry might not now be what it was in the 80's in terms of numbers...but that doesn't mean the 80's were a high point in its history....I'd say that during that period it actually lost its way.

Im not saying its of any less value to communities or members themselves im only going on what im told by the few members i know so not forming an opinion.....it seems its role and the values of its role has changed for members whether thats a good or a bad thing i guess would depend on a members motives for joining......but its certainly " different " to what it once was......but then what in todays society isnt.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, downsouth said:

There used to be a buffalo's lodge in our local boozer going back over 20years ago.Loads of the OAPs from around the village were members.My dads best mate Lofty had been a member in his younger days but had stopped going.He was a proper funny f****r,Always pissed and a proper joker who if you wanted everyone to know something just tell Lofty and tell him to keep it to himself.But no matter how pissed he was and he liked to get well pissed you could never get him to talk about what went on in the Buffs

It was very tongue in cheek my comment mate; the masons I know sort of look down there nose on the buffs

A good mate of mine is quite high up in a lodge about 10 minutes from where I live he regularly says he will vouch for me to join just what we are looking for he says, he’s another one who has aspirations to be a Knights Templar he went through a big deal the other week some sort of tap on the shoulder thing I don’t get it but he seems to really get a lot out of it, myself never been one for joining any sorts of groups.

1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

It was very tongue in cheek my comment mate; the masons I know sort of look down there nose on the buffs

I know mate.I think its all a bit strange.Grown men dressing up in aprons and having special club secrets

• Like 1