Best Lurcher For Deer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is fu

Seen this guy last night as the Pom & i walked back through the forest to the car,he was a cracker..Wasn't far off being dark so the pics not the best ?

Posted Images

My little whip/stag caught one,was up on its back ended up getting kicked and needing stitches.If I could get a giant version of her I'd be on a winner I think.

There's your answer then mate...

• Like 1

My little whip/stag caught one,was up on its back ended up getting kicked and needing stitches.If I could get a giant version of her I'd be on a winner I think.

Or if it learned to take a throat hold you would be on a winner .......

Going to move to an area over here with large number of fallow deer and heard there going to be declared a pest animal,so would be interested in owning a bigger lurcher.Wondering what cross would be the most suitable for deer single handed.Was thinking of a dane/staghound but don't know if these would be quick enough.

Our wolfhound greyhounds are still doing the job mate, plenty of them still being used check gumtree for working dogs. PS slow to mature 2yrs +

• Like 1

You could do alot worse than a collie/grey x deer/grey. I've owned a couple and seen many more of this type that were genuinely great all round dogs, taking rabbit, hare, fox and deer regularly, especially on the lamp.

Or a 3/4 bred collie/grey, seen a few of these do the same

• Like 3

Going to move to an area over here with large number of fallow deer and heard there going to be declared a pest animal,so would be interested in owning a bigger lurcher.Wondering what cross would be the most suitable for deer single handed.Was thinking of a dane/staghound but don't know if these would be quick enough.

Our wolfhound greyhounds are still doing the job mate, plenty of them still being used check gumtree for working dogs. PS slow to mature 2yrs +

any pics pal? Do you run pure wolf hounds do they take red deer? (if you have them over there)?

A decent line bred Bull lurcher should do the trick for ya mate. Get one bred from the right stuff they will have plenty enough pace aswell.

I have no experience of them staghounds but I don't see why they wouldn't be bang on for the job.

The biggest problem with line bred Bull/Greys is they don,t own the pace to suffer long and gruelling gallops,thus what fecking use would they be to a mutt that needs the ability to sustain a long arduous chase?.

• Like 1

Saluki or heavily saturated born to run that type of quarry in those tempratures and terrain what more do you need dont reinvent the wheel. ATB

The only problem with Salukis,if we are to be honest,they are not honest enough at the catching stage.

A decent line bred Bull lurcher should do the trick for ya mate. Get one bred from the right stuff they will have plenty enough pace aswell.

I have no experience of them staghounds but I don't see why they wouldn't be bang on for the job.

The biggest problem with line bred Bull/Greys is they don,t own the pace to suffer long and gruelling gallops,thus what fecking use would they be to a mutt that needs the ability to sustain a long arduous chase?.

I've seen Bull crosses with the pace for the job.

Few guys iv met that hunted fallow used dogs much smaller than what most are saying, im sure there mutts range from 23atsban 50lb to 26 ats an maybe 65/70lb, but they aint big mutts, just bred right. Pity most left this forum

If i was a fallow id piss on a lightweight lurcher,the majority of the time,id succumb to anything with the size and pace for fallow that was bred with the intention of bumping something within its range.I dined on a 10month old fallow a while back that met a pup about its age,if that pup would have been a smaller and less robust adult id have gone hungry.

I've seen Bull crosses with the pace for the job.

The only bull type lurchers with pace owe it to whats else is in the mix,fact.The bull in the mix is often a negating factor in a venison lurcher.

• Like 2