Best Lurcher For Deer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is fu

Seen this guy last night as the Pom & i walked back through the forest to the car,he was a cracker..Wasn't far off being dark so the pics not the best ?

Posted Images

A bulls stamina is totally different to that of a running dog,surely everyone knows that? Bulls ain't renowned for stamina in regards to running,a Saluki,Collie are..Simple as that ✌

I don't know anyone that would use a Bull for running?

They don't do bad on the treadmill when being brought on.

I'm not saying they don't but ANYONE who breeds Bull for stamina when it comes to breeding lurchers want to stick to breeding toy dogs,I've a Pom here that does a 100 miles a week on the Fells,it's nearly 11,I've NEVER EVER seen it knackered yet I'd not class it as worth breeding off regarding stamina lol..Anyways to the deer

My little whip/stag caught one,was up on its back ended up getting kicked and needing stitches.If I could get a giant version of her I'd be on a winner I think.

Or if it learned to take a throat hold you would be on a winner .......
A throat hold is great with the smaller species but on the bigger types that technique don't cut the mustard I'm afraid,not until the beast was grassed anyways,running alongside & trying to take a neck hold invariably gets the dog nowhere fast apart from being trampled all over,them bigger animals are just another kettle of fish,they do not fold like a daft Roe etc that is in my limited experience of dealings with them back in the last millennium ✌
Without a doubt if stamina is what you're after then it would be Saluki everytime but I'm not buying it that the APBT has a detrimental effect on stamina when put to a Greyhound. I think it's more to do with them putting in that extra effort compared to say a Collie cross and idiots who think they can lay the dog up in the off season and expect them to perform miracles unfit.
Greyhounds are shite full stop mate,I've never in my life seen out worth kenneling out of one,i cant understand why lads use em,a big fast,racy type of any kind is better than them piece of shit..Bull x Fast Lurcher type,they would be worth owning but out of a Greyhounds belly or sired by one not a f***ing chance ✌

I can't agree with that pal, I've seen some very handy 1/2 and 3/4 crosses but I agree I'd rather have a dog with some working history behind it.

A bulls stamina is totally different to that of a running dog,surely everyone knows that? Bulls ain't renowned for stamina in regards to running,a Saluki,Collie are..Simple as that ✌

I'm not saying they don't but ANYONE who breeds Bull for stamina when it comes to breeding lurchers want to stick to breeding toy dogs,I've a Pom here that does a 100 miles a week on the Fells,it's nearly 11,I've NEVER EVER seen it knackered yet I'd not class it as worth breeding off regarding stamina lol..Anyways to the deer

My little whip/stag caught one,was up on its back ended up getting kicked and needing stitches.If I could get a giant version of her I'd be on a winner I think.

A throat hold is great with the smaller species but on the bigger types that technique don't cut the mustard I'm afraid,not until the beast was grassed anyways,running alongside & trying to take a neck hold invariably gets the dog nowhere fast apart from being trampled all over,them bigger animals are just another kettle of fish,they do not fold like a daft Roe etc that is in my limited experience of dealings with them back in the last millennium ✌
Without a doubt if stamina is what you're after then it would be Saluki everytime but I'm not buying it that the APBT has a detrimental effect on stamina when put to a Greyhound. I think it's more to do with them putting in that extra effort compared to say a Collie cross and idiots who think they can lay the dog up in the off season and expect them to perform miracles unfit.
Greyhounds are shite full stop mate,I've never in my life seen out worth kenneling out of one,i cant understand why lads use em,a big fast,racy type of any kind is better than them piece of shit..Bull x Fast Lurcher type,they would be worth owning but out of a Greyhounds belly or sired by one not a f***ing chance ✌
I can't agree with that pal, I've seen some very handy 1/2 and 3/4 crosses but I agree I'd rather have a dog with some working history behind it.
If you or anyone can enlighten me to what a greyhound has to offer over a lurcher I'd love to hear it? They run on sanded tracks which are rolled to perfection & race in an anti clockwise direction EVERYTIME they run,they have no jacket,no brains,bad feet,prone to muscular injuries,have no stamina and are reckless runners with no natural awareness of obstacles etc..So as NONE of the aforementioned are attributes I'd want in my dogs what else have they to "offer" lol
  • Like 1

That's bang on I had a lurcher that would run about all day long bushing n what not, yet one good lung buster run on the lamp n he was foooked. Had the wind of a tea bag yet stamina n mooch and dart about all day.
  • Like 2

I like them bull x coursing dogs of the right type but have found you want more bull than coursing side of things if your giving them abit of stick and want them to be up and at em. I find some with too much coursing blood start of well keen as owt but can go the other way when the workload gets serious.

As for deer a deer dog is a different thing in different people's minds some lads won't entertain the small fellas and some won't bother the big uns at all but I must admit for me knocking a couple smaller deer over before the ban 90% of lurchers should be capable it's not rocket science is it really. I'm just glad my mutts don't give them the time of day sound abit too complicated for me ??

Edited by C.green
  • Like 3

IMG_8909_zpszoqoiizd.jpg

I'm very content these days to hunt deer without a dog,still get lots of buzz,trying to find them & get a few pics of them,still trying to use a bit of stealth & cunning in the process,buggers are difficult to spot at times,hard to see 7 Red Deer on this PIC but they are there ?

• Like 3

I would say it is a lot harder to find a proper "deer dog" than it is a fox dog. all my lurchers have took fox yet most of them would push deer (mainly fallow) waiting for them to make a mistake then give it the big one once they are down. That definatly isn't my idea of a deer dog.

i found that the opposite , that most dogs will pull a roe and muntjac, but if they been bitten by a fox few times before , are bit reluctant to go in and grab old charlie , and if they got tackle big fallow buck or a red deer, they hold back, in a nutshell they lack guts , if got step up there game . i ve had few like that over the years. Its hard to get a honest type all rounder lurcher, that will tackle all quarry pre ban ,and even from proven working parents, not all pups will be as good as there parents , all dogs are different in every litter . got a good dog now , he gives 100% on everything he sees day/night , bit reckless at times , but rather have that, than a dog that hold's back .

• Like 2

If you or anyone can enlighten me to what a greyhound has to offer over a lurcher I'd love to hear it? They run on sanded tracks which are rolled to perfection & race in an anti clockwise direction EVERYTIME they run,they have no jacket,no brains,bad feet,prone to muscular injuries,have no stamina and are reckless runners with no natural awareness of obstacles etc..So as NONE of the aforementioned are attributes I'd want in my dogs what else have they to "offer" lol

Who's talking about Greyhounds? I'm saying I've seen very handy 1/2 and 3/4 Bull/Greyhounds.

I think you're being very harsh on the Greyhound though, the influence it has had on the Lurcher world is massive.

PSX_20150630_205709_zpsaa4eht0r.jpg

Fantastic creatures,i regularly clamber thousands of feet up mountainsides just hoping for a glimpse of one,this chap here i got to within 40 yards maximum id say,he was just feeding away in the summer sun,i just kept down wind of him & got very close,not bad considering i had the Pom too!!

• Like 4

I would say it is a lot harder to find a proper "deer dog" than it is a fox dog. all my lurchers have took fox yet most of them would push deer (mainly fallow) waiting for them to make a mistake then give it the big one once they are down. That definatly isn't my idea of a deer dog.

My mates 1/2 Bull/Greyhound was a jacker on teeth but was a capable Deer dog, ended up getting buried thoigh after it jacked once too many times......

Love them Roe ,..my favourite type of deer,...lightweight carcase and easily bartered ,... :thumbs:

roe%20PICT0010.jpg

wish we had some over here, none about at all..! Just red, fallow and sika.

I know who's the fortunate one, we had to drive over a hour to find Fallow.

i found that the opposite , that most dogs will pull a roe and muntjac, but if they been bitten by a fox few times before , are bit reluctant to go in and grab old charlie , and if they got tackle big fallow buck or a red deer, they hold back, in a nutshell they lack guts , if got step up there game . i ve had few like that over the years. Its hard to get a honest type all rounder lurcher, that will tackle all quarry pre ban ,and even from proven working parents, not all pups will be as good as there parents , all dogs are different in every litter . got a good dog now , he gives 100% on everything he sees day/night , bit reckless at times , but rather have that, than a dog that hold's back .
the thing is there's fox dogs and then there's fox dogs some dog will go out night in night out and catch old Charlie with ease and they'll do the job nice and clean then there's dogs that just love taking stick and giving it then there's dogs that will kill one fox you show them another and they won't commit for the second one and that's them done for the night on mr fox but some people are happy with that you find the same with the deer some dog will drop one and that's them done then some dogs will just make it look easy and they'll pull 2 or 3 or more I'd be happy with one an outing I'm not gready??
  • Like 2