Best Lurcher For Deer

A decent line bred Bull lurcher should do the trick for ya mate. Get one bred from the right stuff they will have plenty enough pace aswell.

I have no experience of them staghounds but I don't see why they wouldn't be bang on for the job.

The biggest problem with line bred Bull/Greys is they don,t own the pace to suffer long and gruelling gallops,thus what fecking use would they be to a mutt that needs the ability to sustain a long arduous chase?.

a bull x grey x saluki x grey line bred with , of proven parents , i reckon that put a good shift in on a long hard night , :yes: i know what you mean though with straight bullx grey they do seem to blow up quick after few runs, that drop saluki in there should help with that.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is fu

Seen this guy last night as the Pom & i walked back through the forest to the car,he was a cracker..Wasn't far off being dark so the pics not the best ?

Posted Images

There is no best lurcher jest good owners that are 100% committed in every way to theyer dogs some owners will have good dogs but never now it. Breeding plays it part but Evan best breeding will not make good dog in the rong hands

• Like 4

Without getting into a big bull debate, I think like lots of other crosses a good one is a very handy animal, but some are shit...breeding and luck play its part, plus an owner who was willing to put the graft in...

my youngster has a little bull in her, but the majority is running dog, think she would've been capable back in the day...

There is no best lurcher jest good owners that are 100% committed in every way to theyer dogs some owners will have good dogs but never now it. Breeding plays it part but Evan best breeding will not make good dog in the rong hands

Rubbish,the best lurcher owner,trainer,etc,etc.etc.cannot polish a turd long enough to make it a shiny fecking slayer.If the mutt is not bred to do a certain task then its a waste of time spending brass on polish to shine the surface when underneath its a turd.

• Like 2

A decent line bred Bull lurcher should do the trick for ya mate. Get one bred from the right stuff they will have plenty enough pace aswell.

I have no experience of them staghounds but I don't see why they wouldn't be bang on for the job.

The biggest problem with line bred Bull/Greys is they don,t own the pace to suffer long and gruelling gallops,thus what fecking use would they be to a mutt that needs the ability to sustain a long arduous chase?.
I've seen Bull crosses with the pace for the job.

The only bull type lurchers with pace owe it to whats else is in the mix,fact.The bull in the mix is often a negating factor in a venison lurcher.

What a load of tripe.

• Like 2

Rubbish,the best lurcher owner,trainer,etc,etc.etc.cannot polish a turd long enough to make it a shiny fecking slayer.If the mutt is not bred to do a certain task then its a waste of time spending brass on polish to shine the surface when underneath its a turd.

OK I stand corrected.

• Like 1

Rightly so d llyod because you don't own a d\h \ c\ g anything else is second best didn't you know Morton wouldn't you say a 3 quarter grey hound bull was plenty quick enough and even some heavier influenced bullxs can and have done it regular

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 2

A mate here that does a lot of hunting was getting a first cross pit/greyhound for deer,don't know if would have enough pace.Iv'é had trouble with pit crosses playing up when hunting.but they were crossed with other hard headed types for pigs.

If people think the Bull has a detrimental effect on stamina they clearly don't have a clue about the dogs, they go for 3+ hours in the hardest game possible but yeah they've got no gas...... ?

I agree with you on that one a lot of bull cross that are cross are show dogs bred for looks , there are some real dogs out there that are working bred game and go the distance till the end .

• Like 1

If people think the Bull has a detrimental effect on stamina they clearly don't have a clue about the dogs, they go for 3+ hours in the hardest game possible but yeah they've got no gas......

dont forget that in pure form, a fit well bred apbt can do as you say, but when x its to running dog , straight away , it loose , stamina, and the true grit of apbt it got t as it watered down , the same applies with any breed once it x to a greyhound or whippet, maybe you might retain bit more stamina if x to a salukix grey, but same as a collie x you want get stamina of a pure collie them bloodys things will work 16 hours a day and most of it will be running up and down hills etc , no collie x grey could or would have the stamina pure collie , any type of breed looses stamina once x to running dog. :yes:

• Like 1

yep well I guess a staghound is a bigger version of her. atb Joe

My little whip/stag caught one,was up on its back ended up getting kicked and needing stitches.If I could get a giant version of her I'd be on a winner I think.

There's your answer then mate...

yep well I guess a staghound is a bigger version of her. atb Joe

I've had 2 big staghounds before and were not a patch on my little 3/4 whippet 1/4 stag for guts and hunting ability,its just her size that lets her down.Why I'm thinking some bull blood or there's a line of stags here with Airedale that might be better.

If people think the Bull has a detrimental effect on stamina they clearly don't have a clue about the dogs, they go for 3+ hours in the hardest game possible but yeah they've got no gas......

dont forget that in pure form, a fit well bred apbt can do as you say, but when x its to running dog , straight away , it loose , stamina, and the true grit of apbt it got t as it watered down , the same applies with any breed once it x to a greyhound or whippet, maybe you might retain bit more stamina if x to a salukix grey, but same as a collie x you want get stamina of a pure collie them bloodys things will work 16 hours a day and most of it will be running up and down hills etc , no collie x grey could or would have the stamina pure collie , any type of breed looses stamina once x to running dog. :yes:

Exactly, it ain't the Bull that has a negative effect on stamina it's the running dog. Like you said if you get a well bred Saluki/Bull/Greyhound you won't be far wrong.

• Like 1