Best Lurcher For Deer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is fu

Seen this guy last night as the Pom & i walked back through the forest to the car,he was a cracker..Wasn't far off being dark so the pics not the best ?

Posted Images

They run from Turkey up through the Middle East , Central Asia to China

Traded along the silk route up to china,i saw a painting from the ming dynasty showing 2 salukis given to a Chinese emperor when I visited a jade and pottery exhibition in HK once.

• Like 2
Traded along the silk route up to china,i saw a painting from the ming dynasty showing 2 salukis given to a Chinese emperor when I visited a jade and pottery exhibition in HK once.

They run from Turkey up through the Middle East , Central Asia to China

and what was you up too mooching about in that neck of the woods :whistling: long way out for a mackem :D

Going to move to an area over here with large number of fallow deer and heard there going to be declared a pest animal,so would be interested in owning a bigger lurcher.Wondering what cross would be the most suitable for deer single handed.Was thinking of a dane/staghound but don't know if these would be quick enough.

Dane/staghound wouldn't be fast enough, fallow can shift when even some fast types are trying to close in on them.

I'd say almost any type that has a fair turn of speed and a bit of power to it, but without being overly bulky, would be suitable. Don't need bull blood :ninja::D

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

Anyone about in Devon area looking to get out lamping have a bull x need someone else's dog to bring him on abit

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding yourself if by lamping now & catching either young or heavily pregnant critters will make a good dog out of your Bull x you will be in for a big disappointment come the winter..I'd like to think you ain't one of the idiotic types,there are numerous in our ranks unfortunately ?

• Like 12

You want a fast dog with plenty of drive I always think but then that all depends on the type of deer your looking for I've seen dogs that love knocking down fallow but take on a roe and they can't get up on them

• Like 1

There aint many running dogs that don't want to hunt deer, some really excel at it though....

for what you want a leggy strong dog would be my choice, fair amount of running dog with a bit of bull would probably be my choice,

I think stag hounds are derived from Deerhound x Greyhound originally arent they? if they're easily accessible that would be a great starting point I'd imagine, a little bit of bull in the mix would be good.

• Like 1

You'd be suprised I've had dogs myself that have run a deer into the ground and done everything to bar catch it

Not all dogs have the bollocks for it, a fallow is a big animal for an average sized dog, the instinct to run them is there but the final bit of connecting sometimes goes a miss!!

Some dogs just love it, same as anything I suppose

• Like 4

What do you mean Penda by an up and at em dog

A dog quick off the mark and sharp, for smaller fields where the run can be short you want a dog that is right up on the quarry quickly....