What Does Being British Mean To You?

To look at the world we live in today and know it was heavily influenced byn us Brits.

some not so good things, but on the whole we did a lot of good and gave the world many many inventions

I think we have managed to sit in our laurels with that for too long though mate, like a striker we can't live off past glories although we deserve credit for them all the same.

We can't forget that other people have been doing stuff well for a long time too and have maintained a nice country not whored themselves out to every tom, dick and Harry.

I watched a thing last night that made me think about that, a farmer in Norway (population about 5 million) and his farm had been in the family for 1200 (yes that's 12 HUNDRED!!) years !!

Now that's retaining your history !

• Like 2

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me it's the indomitable spirit in the face of adversity where we Brits historically come to our own.   The Battle Of Britain fighter pilots outnumbered 4-1 but still went up every day and fought

The best thing about being British is that you dont have to be American.

Being British to me is walking and hunting the lad my grandparents did,drinking the same Ale in the same pubs they did.Visiting every corner of our Isle and exploring the fauna and flora.Having the ha

Posted Images

Bein british is about being able to do as we please, might take bit hard graft bit most goals are achievable, we got freedoms other countrys can only dream of an yet still have a great way of life, we might have lost sight of things past few years, but this is great britain, an im sure we will be great again, soon

Name some freedoms we got Katchum?

My opinion is we are fed lies about are country being so good and the best [bANNED TEXT] really it's a load of shite and when you get out ther and live in a few different country's you will really get a taste of what freedom really is and start to see how shite and governed we are In The uk

We can travel or emigrate, we can choose to getter ourselfs, we can choose to educate ourself, we can maintain a nice life with all mod cons yet know fine well we all have a safety net in the dole an nhs, free education for our kids, or option to buy a better one, list goes on mate, and if it wasnt for great britain, most the countrys you talk about would be nowt

Very true words mate.

Schools over here are not the best and also because my eldest is fuucking useless at speaking Spanish (which incidentally I blame on British foreign language education failure). She did two years of Spanish in UK and learned fuuck all, I spoke with her Spanish teacher in Spanish and he didn't have a clue what I was saying. So I have ended up paying a grand a month just for her to go to a private school. Even if she could Speak Spanish I would pay it because I have seen the failed system here.

NHS here is a fuucking joke and I do mean a fuucking joke, They genuinely couldn't give a fuuck.

Bein british is about being able to do as we please, might take bit hard graft bit most goals are achievable, we got freedoms other countrys can only dream of an yet still have a great way of life, we might have lost sight of things past few years, but this is great britain, an im sure we will be great again, soon

My opinion is we are fed lies about are country being so good and the best [bANNED TEXT] really it's a load of shite and when you get out ther and live in a few different country's you will really get a taste of what freedom really is and start to see how shite and governed we are In The uk

We can travel or emigrate, we can choose to getter ourselfs, we can choose to educate ourself, we can maintain a nice life with all mod cons yet know fine well we all have a safety net in the dole an nhs, free education for our kids, or option to buy a better one, list goes on mate, and if it wasnt for great britain, most the countrys you talk about would be nowt

Very true words mate.

Schools over here are not the best and also because my eldest is fuucking useless at speaking Spanish (which incidentally I blame on British foreign language education failure). She did two years of Spanish in UK and learned fuuck all, I spoke with her Spanish teacher in Spanish and he didn't have a clue what I was saying. So I have ended up paying a grand a month just for her to go to a private school. Even if she could Speak Spanish I would pay it because I have seen the failed system here.

NHS here is a fuucking joke and I do mean a fuucking joke, They genuinely couldn't give a fuuck.

What's the tax burden like mate?

Very true words mate.

What's the tax burden like mate?
A fuucking lot ??

I think last year I paid on average 30% ish

well, like scotland are prob going to leave england , and the other countries in time will prob want to the same in time lol, so we be england not british in time , where no fooker as ever really likes us, and we can get back to speaking english, be proud of our faith C/O/E , not all this muslim shit that in our country , and destroying it . i hate to think what our country going to be like in 30 years time , i will be dead by then, my son will be my age then , god knows how him and wife and possible children, will be living then , glad i will be out of it . :yes:

Mushroom, personally I like paying for things myself (but I understand totally that if you are getting rinsed for bundles of tax then things should be right) .......you just get better value for money.

If Britain proves one thing its that trusting your money to the government so they do things for you just don't work at all !

I like paying for the kids books and my rubbish disposal and the medical care myself, I decide what it gets spent on and I can see where it's going.

• Like 5

Mushroom, personally I like paying for things myself (but I understand totally that if you are getting rinsed for bundles of tax then things should be right) .......you just get better value for money.

If Britain proves one thing its that trusting your money to the government so they do things for you just don't work at all !

I like paying for the kids books and my rubbish disposal and the medical care myself, I decide what it gets spent on and I can see where it's going.

I have to say the rubbish disposal and street cleaning here is first class.... so somethings I pay for do work :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tax is a funny thing in Cataluña, huge chunk of what I pay goes to the central government in Madrid. Hence why the Catalans are pissed. Cataluña has enough money raised annually to provide first class everything (Education, healthcare etc) but they cannot use in full what they generate because we pay for the rest of Spain to be lazy bast@rds ;)

• Like 1

They give out moaning like f**k over here but I actually think the system is brilliant !

The roads and hedges are maintained, there's a police station in almost every town.

My council tax is €90 a year !!!

I paid €700 to buy 2 sets of school text books for my girls and that will last 3 years !

I load up about twice as much rubbish a week as I could fit in my 3 bins in England and that costs me €10 at the local waste firm, nearly everything else I can recycle FOC !

The best bit is, I don't have to watch out for a f***ing traffic warden or a camera or some other thing that wants to rape me for a few quid because they simply don't exist in this part of the world

Income tax would be about 30% here BUT and this is the biggie, you don't have all the other stealth stuff going on and picking your pocket and you are just left alone to get on with your business.

Business rates and corporation tax and very, very low indeed.

You don't beleive how much people in England are having the piss taken out of them until you experience a life that proves it don't have to be that way ;)

• Like 2

I saw this asked on another forum and, it struck me as a very interesting question.

To me, I think that we like to help those that are genuinely in need but, if we think that someone is taking the piss, that's when the teeth come out.

We'll help and support the underdog to the end but, Woe betide those that mistake kindness for weakness.

were genuinly in need of sorting our own country out and we dont seem to be able to do it because we have gone to f***ing soft. we have been handing out to much kindness to others for far to long.

To look at the world we live in today and know it was heavily influenced byn us Brits.

some not so good things, but on the whole we did a lot of good and gave the world many many inventions

I think we have managed to sit in our laurels with that for too long though mate, like a striker we can't live off past glories although we deserve credit for them all the same.

We can't forget that other people have been doing stuff well for a long time too and have maintained a nice country not whored themselves out to every tom, dick and Harry.

I watched a thing last night that made me think about that, a farmer in Norway (population about 5 million) and his farm had been in the family for 1200 (yes that's 12 HUNDRED!!) years !!

oi oi oi hang about mate you can hardly compare the history and traditions of one of the most powerful nations in the world to f****n Norway !.......thats like comparing Accrington Stanley to Man Utd and saying well they produce good local talent in Accrington but Man Utd dont !

The downside of being one of the greatest nations on earth is that everyone wants to come here.

• Like 3

oi oi oi hang about mate you can hardly compare the history and traditions of one of the most powerful nations in the world to f****n Norway !.......thats like comparing Accrington Stanley to Man Utd and saying well they produce good local talent in Accrington but Man Utd dont !

The downside of being one of the greatest nations on earth is that everyone wants to come here.

yey they all love the place :D

Thinking about this I have found raises more questions than answers. It could be argued that Britain is not and never was a " country ". Long before the influx of peoples from around the old empire and more recent additions we have always been a mix. A mix of the Home Nations, some were/are not best pleased with being part of Britain. Personally I believe that we are better together than apart but many would disagree. I will give a few quotes from " the English and Their Country " by Thomas Burke. This was a handbook given to G.I.s to try and help them understand the " British " during their posting here in WW2...

" The English have always had a passion not only for political liberty but for personal freedom. They have never liked being ordered about and they in truth do not need to be. There is in every Englishman a sense of order, not imposed from without but grown from within, a heritage of centuries of freedom. "

" No country has such orderly landscapes, such neat fields and hedgerows, such trim villages...this is not the achievement of any political pressure or economic planning . It is an expression of an innate English sense of order translated from the individually self-ordered life of the people..."

I have quoted the book as it was written but I am of course aware that Burke should of wrote the word British rather than English. As a Geordie who is proud of my Irish and Scottish heritage I make no excuses for this.

" The people of the English North are blunt of speech and manner. They say what they mean, even if it offends, and they act without regard to the more fastidious courtesies. They call it honesty. The South call it uncouth. The North retorts by calling the manners of the South so much fuss and nonsense "

God bless us all...the long and the short and the tall :-)

• Like 3