What Does Being British Mean To You?

Is the answer 1?

Nope.. it's several,

English blood = Celtic, Anglo, Saxon, Latin, Pictish, Gaelic, Norsk (plus a quite a few more I cannot remember). These are just some of the ethnicities that make up English people.

Language = German, Gaelic, Pictish, Latin, French, Norske (plus a quite a few more I cannot remember).

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me it's the indomitable spirit in the face of adversity where we Brits historically come to our own.   The Battle Of Britain fighter pilots outnumbered 4-1 but still went up every day and fought

The best thing about being British is that you dont have to be American.

Being British to me is walking and hunting the lad my grandparents did,drinking the same Ale in the same pubs they did.Visiting every corner of our Isle and exploring the fauna and flora.Having the ha

Posted Images

A nation is a group who share a culture,language and ethnicity.

It's not a place,or some obscure set of values that get parroted by MP's,'tolerance,fair play,democracy' etc or any other set of values,no matter how much you like the sound of them.

For better or worse a person is born British and can never be of any other nation,nor can anyone become British.

Do you realise how many native languages were spoken in England up until only 100 years ago? How many ethnicities make up English? Do you even know how many languages were melted up, mixed around and poured out to create English?

People would belong to the nation they are born into, that is if their communities didn't make them something else ;)

Ethnicity is the diversity in a race, not the race.

Yeah,I know what ethnicity means,we've been a mix of European peoples since the beginning.

Tacitus wrote in detail of the swarthy Iberians in the south,the Gauls in the midlands and the Germanic people of northern Scotland.

European people have mixed more since then.

I was using the true definition of the word nation,you can replace ethnicity with race.

Or you can just make up a new definition for it,maybe like 'it means you like football and are nice to people' :laugh:

And no I don't know of anywhere in England where English wasn't spoken 100 years ago.

• Like 1

It's not a place,or some obscure set of values that get parroted by MP's,'tolerance,fair play,democracy' etc or any other set of values,no matter how much you like the sound of them.

For better or worse a person is born British and can never be of any other nation,nor can anyone become British.

Do you realise how many native languages were spoken in England up until only 100 years ago? How many ethnicities make up English? Do you even know how many languages were melted up, mixed around and poured out to create English?

People would belong to the nation they are born into, that is if their communities didn't make them something else ;)

Yeah,I know what ethnicity means,we've been a mix of European peoples since the beginning.

Tacitus wrote in detail of the swarthy Iberians in the south,the Gauls in the midlands and the Germanic people of northern Scotland.

I was using the true definition of the word nation,you can replace ethnicity with race.

Or you can just make up a new definition for it,maybe like 'it means you like football and are nice to people' :laugh:

And no I don't know of anywhere in England where English wasn't spoken 100 years ago.

Cornwall, the north west to name two, had separate languages plus English ;)

People still speak these daft languages today!

These are vestiges of now long gone smaller nations that existed before England was created.

so i will ask the un answered question again,,,,what about those people with mixed ethinc back ground ,,,at what point in the dilution,,to they become british??

If you cross a Larbrador with a Poodle at what point in the dilution does it become a pure Labrador ?......the real answer is never it will always be a mongrel.

The trick is to convince as many people as possible that a " Labradoodle " is infact a new pure breed............hence this new human breed we hear called " mixed race ".

my point is gnash,,,,there are many people out there with a none white ansester,,,very often in the old days covered up,,,so you might have someone with a great great grand parant thats black or asian,,,,it wouldnt stop you being english....there were lots that came back from the colonies with a half cast kid back in the 18th and 19th century .....and also lets be mindfull,,,that most of us are unable to trace our family history back much further than the 18th century,,,and even if we can,,,its just a name on paper,,,no pics so you can see what they look like

i dowt theres any breed of dog out there gnash without somthing else in its make up,,,so thats not the best analogy ,,,

When a dog is of no distinct breed Tomo and its documented heritage proves it is of no specific breed we call it a mongrel and a mongrel is not a recognised breed of dog the way a Labrador or a Poodle is..........so why when the same occurs in humans do we automatically recognise a new strain called " mixed race ".......obviously a persons ethnic identity has to involve basic common sense the same way as i might have a Labrador that looks like a Labrador,has all the personaility traits of a Labrador and 100 years of documented evidence to say its all Labrador,its then common sense logic to assume the dog is indeed a Labrador but whos to say 110 years ago there wasnt a dash of Poodle in there ?......should we go through life doubting our heritage based on ifs buts and maybes.......and while on the subject of mixed race why do we automatically tag them British just because they were born here they might have a tiny % of British blood amongst generations of African,Pakistani,Chinese,West Indian anything........why British......would China accept a mixed race person as Chinese i dont know.

I identify as an AH-64 Attack Helicopter...I demand you refer to me using my prefered pro-noun

If you look like one.....act like one.....and was born from one then its a fair shout.......if not then lets keep it real your just Nik !

so i will ask the un answered question again,,,,what about those people with mixed ethinc back ground ,,,at what point in the dilution,,to they become british??

If you cross a Larbrador with a Poodle at what point in the dilution does it become a pure Labrador ?......the real answer is never it will always be a mongrel.

The trick is to convince as many people as possible that a " Labradoodle " is infact a new pure breed............hence this new human breed we hear called " mixed race ".

my point is gnash,,,,there are many people out there with a none white ansester,,,very often in the old days covered up,,,so you might have someone with a great great grand parant thats black or asian,,,,it wouldnt stop you being english....there were lots that came back from the colonies with a half cast kid back in the 18th and 19th century .....and also lets be mindfull,,,that most of us are unable to trace our family history back much further than the 18th century,,,and even if we can,,,its just a name on paper,,,no pics so you can see what they look like

i dowt theres any breed of dog out there gnash without somthing else in its make up,,,so thats not the best analogy ,,,

When a dog is of no distinct breed Tomo and its documented heritage proves it is of no specific breed we call it a mongrel and a mongrel is not a recognised breed of dog the way a Labrador or a Poodle is..........so why when the same occurs in humans do we automatically recognise a new strain called " mixed race ".......obviously a persons ethnic identity has to involve basic common sense the same way as i might have a Labrador that looks like a Labrador,has all the personaility traits of a Labrador and 100 years of documented evidence to say its all Labrador,its then common sense logic to assume the dog is indeed a Labrador but whos to say 110 years ago there wasnt a dash of Poodle in there ?......should we go through life doubting our heritage based on ifs buts and maybes.......and while on the subject of mixed race why do we automatically tag them British just because they were born here they might have a tiny % of British blood amongst generations of African,Pakistani,Chinese,West Indian anything........why British......would China accept a mixed race person as Chinese i dont know.

yes there might only be a tiny % of british blood,,,,but the reverse of that might be the case also,,in other words there might be generations of british blood with just a dash of the other,,,,wich has kind of been my point...

accip put up the pic of his daughter,,,who although half algerian looked very english,,,,i can relate to that,,,as she was very similar looking to my own daughter at the same age,,,my own kids have a higher persentage of white blood than black,,,if they then have children with white partners ,,,i think you would be hard pressed to see any colour in my grand kids....

i think those labels we use,,,,ie black british,,,,are a good description,,,theres not any other terms we can use really,,,after all british folk are white,,,however black folk that are born here,,and only really know this culture are bitish,,,,my wife whos mixed has to fill in official forms for passports ect as mixed bitish,,,,but if you ask her what nationality she is ,,,she will say english,,

But why use guesswork or opinions based on what someone looks like why not use documented facts we can all trace our heritage at least 3 or 4 generations so why invent ethnic groups to what suits.... that was exactly my meaning with the dog example suddenly out of the blue a Labrador/Poodle cross was renamed a Labradoodle.......we only call people Black British or Mixed British because that person just happens to have settled in Britain yet genetically they may carry far more African or Asia blood for example than British......without being personal Tomo if your mrs had settled in Africa and not Britain would she still class herself as mixed British,of course she wouldnt.....but the reality is none of these mixed races want to live in Africa or Asia so they get labelled British regardless of carrying what may be a tiny percentage of British blood and heritage.......i say again if a British looking man turned up in China claiming to be Chinese he would get laughed off when genetically it may be no different to a person of colour shall we say turning up here claiming to be British.......we have just been bombarded with it for so long now most folk accept it without question .............again no offence to you or yours ;)

• Like 1

These are vestiges of now long gone smaller nations that existed before England was created.

Exactly my point ????

Nations are made up (usually) of several different ethnicities!

So taking desertbreds example of tracing his Iranian family back over 1000 years, if a Chinaman got it on with a sub Saharan African woman and they had a child born in Iran is that child Iranian?

Yes but not Persian ;)

Exactly my point

Nations are made up (usually) of several different ethnicities!

Well ethnicities haven't been 100% since we were hunter gatherers,people have taken slaves from other lands since agriculture came about and slavery in western/northern Europe was very different to what went on in the east or even in southern Europe.

The slaves would integrate eventually,they were effectively just a very low caste,our ancestors took slaves from east,west and southern Europe and they integrated genetically.

Those other countries took slaves from here too.

So although in the very strictest definition it is ethnicity,language and culture it's quite clearly permissible to replace ethnicity with race.

• Like 1