Metric System

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

feet and inches ,pounds and stones and miles for me, having said that 50p is still 10 bob in my world

be better for all concerned if you kept your opinions to yourself tb25!!!

It sounds bigger in km rather than miles same for mm/cm and inch ...it makes them feel better

lol...that's whats wrong with most folk now adays... they don't know how to adapt! and if its not your way then its no way... yous sound like my da! ffs.

same here mate worked in mil in tech and on site were were taught feet n inches by the old guard, hanyy working in both

My pet peeve at the moment is the way every TV programme now seems to use km instead of miles. We might use the metric system to a degree, but my speedo is in mph, the road signs are in miles and the speed limit is in mph.

"Steve's journey is 170km" (Supertruckers) "320km offshore." (Deadliest catch.) Does that mean anything to anyone without roughly converting it in your head to miles first?

Are you 1.8m tall or 5ft whatever?

if your 1.8m your 6 foot not 5 its handy enough if you learnt both ways .3m is 1 foot .6m is 2 foot .9m is 3 foot 1.2m is four foot approximately keep multiplying by .3m for each foot and you won't be far out Edited by jiggy

The only time I ever understand metric measurement is really small stuff like drill bits and bolts. I can picture 5mm, but 7/32" or whatever the equivalent is? :icon_eek:

And if you're going to use metric all the time, are you 1.8m tall, 180cm tall or 1800mm tall? I konw they are all the same, but what do you say?

You get both on the speedo on the car what's the problem

Agreed. But if the speed limit was 70 kph and I was doing 70kph, bur the place I was going to was 120 miles away, how long would it take me to get there? :D

Anyway, I know it can be worked out if you have to, but the fact is distances and speed are measured in miles here, so why change them just for tv?

Those shows are yank walshie, 90% of telly is

Yanks don't use metric though, they redo the voiceovers for the British market and change everything to metric while they're at it. Always annoys me too TBH, I can use metric or imperial for most things but with distance it has to be miles, kilometres just don't mean anything to me.

I prefer imperial for larger measurements (floor sizes, lengths of timber etc), and metric for smaller things (drill bits, screws etc). I just can't picture small sizes in eigths of an inch........

Digressing slightly, does anyone know if it's true that the cargo space of the original Transit van was specifically designed to hold sheets of 8 X 4 , because a builder would look at it and think "that will hold a lot of 8 X 4".........?

I prefer imperial for larger measurements (floor sizes, lengths of timber etc), and metric for smaller things (drill bits, screws etc). I just can't picture small sizes in eigths of an inch........

Digressing slightly, does anyone know if it's true that the cargo space of the original Transit van was specifically designed to hold sheets of 8 X 4 , because a builder would look at it and think "that will hold a lot of 8 X 4".........?

It would hold loads and loads of 8x4". Not sure on how much 8x4' though. :angel: