Any Advice On What's Going On With My Terrier ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be you unknowingly clipped him with the spade previously on break through ,which has made him spade shy,the fact he works flawless until the crucial moment suggests he has had a bad experience a

Exactly terrier should stay with the quarry till the job is done. Everybody can make the excuses but to keep decent workers you need to strive to keep only the very best.

And this is why writing can be misconstrued, I knew what you ment and agree to a certain degree but just as you picked up on something you presumed I ment, I did the same. All being said I think you k

If the dog worked well for its 1st season without fault and is still there until you break through then its not a jacker,may7be not puting in 100% but not a jacker.When you say it lets the game push on does this happen on every dig or just the accasional one,a fox can get into some real tight spots where even the best or more experienced of terriers will not get to and from my own experience of sealyhamx's they are not the smallest dog.

When you break in do you see the gear or do you have to use another dog to go towards and engage maybe sitting back from gear or. If your not seeing it may be false marking did he take much abuse in his first season and is he carrying a injury these are all factors really maybe he has had enough but that would be your call any of your mates that see dog work last year and now see him work now ask there opinion we all suffer from kennel blindness at times so some impartial eyes from trusted mate may help

I was gonae ask the same have u used a gun at the end off the dog or previously when broken thru lifted him regular or the other way round pushed him onto it which maybe the part he does t like or became familiar with. I reckon ul get a lot off answers some sensible some not but unless someone can see it happen u won't get the answer ur looking for here not fully, like the guys say try tying him back on a dig or leave him a little longer to settle in, give some encouragement on the break through there's lots of methods to try. If he's staying till dug to he ain't jacking well not to me keep positive negativity and frustration can cause harsh decisions

• Like 3

As some others have said, it's hopefully not the young dog's fault but maybe something that you are doing ? Is he expecting a shot or another bigger dog that he is not familiar or comfortable with taking over when you break through ? Or even that you're expecting too much from him early into his career ? If he is finding and sticking you would be silly to give up at this stage. Sometimes intelligence in terriers is confused with other things, if you want to sell him....?

• Like 1

Should the terrier not be with his quarry till the end its a simple one for me his 90% the way but not the full working terrier. Sounds like something mentally wrong which is always he hardest too fix hope you sort it.

Exactly terrier should stay with the quarry till the job is done. Everybody can make the excuses but to keep decent workers you need to strive to keep only the very best.

• Like 4

we just used what we had and made do. we didnt chap every dog that had one bad day at the office ffs. we would have got rid of a lakie that we dug to regular then all of a sudden started coming up top. usually with one or two nips we considered doing the worst but we used a second dog to find a dead fox. turned out he had got a knack of finnishing em. and was very handy to have. i also seen a dog work that stayed till dug but would jump back on the break through if its owner was digging but would fasten on most times if someone else was on the spade. was the owner to harsh to break the dog off. who knows. hope your dog comes good for you

• Like 1

I've seen plenty of dogs work great on there first season then things go a bit pear shaped . Most probs just needs to mature abit leave him off for a bit then try him . Don't just keep trying him because you'll spoil him I've also seen dogs do this then jack . Good luck hope he comes right in the end