Any Advice On What's Going On With My Terrier ?

Everyone will differ ,on this the dog may suit some and not others at his present state,but it looks like to me he has gone backwards instead of forwards for some unknown reason and its going to be extremely difficult to get him back to last years quality. Its a bummer but it happens. I hope im proved wrong but if I was a betting man and I am I I would put my money you will not get him back to his former self, I think it may be a lost cause I hate saying this cause its a c**t seeing a terrier start so promising.

• Like 3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be you unknowingly clipped him with the spade previously on break through ,which has made him spade shy,the fact he works flawless until the crucial moment suggests he has had a bad experience a

Exactly terrier should stay with the quarry till the job is done. Everybody can make the excuses but to keep decent workers you need to strive to keep only the very best.

And this is why writing can be misconstrued, I knew what you ment and agree to a certain degree but just as you picked up on something you presumed I ment, I did the same. All being said I think you k

I don't know if this has been mentioned but are you giving him enough time? Some people are to quick with the spade and start digging as soon as contact is made. Let the dog settle into his work load and give him time to push the quarry into a stop. A couple of bangs above before you start digging should move the quarry if it's not in a stop

I don't know if this has been mentioned but are you giving him enough time? Some people are to quick with the spade and start digging as soon as contact is made. Let the dog settle into his work load and give him time to push the quarry into a stop. A couple of bangs above before you start digging should move the quarry if it's not in a stop.

Yes the amount of time you give depends on the dogs size an temperament, as well as the earth you've put your dog in, and although we have no control over it a lot has to do with the temperament of the quarry.

Do you know if you are coming or going?

Edited by THE GENERAL

I don't know if this has been mentioned but are you giving him enough time? Some people are to quick with the spade and start digging as soon as contact is made. Let the dog settle into his work load and give him time to push the quarry into a stop. A couple of bangs above before you start digging should move the quarry if it's not in a stop.

Yes the amount of time you give depends on the dogs size an temperament, as well as the earth you've put your dog in, and although we have no control over it a lot has to do with the temperament of the quarry.

Do you know if you are coming or going?

So you don't think a young dog needs time to push the fox into a stop end?

• Like 1

Any terrier whether it's young or experienced needs to be given ample time underground. On your first comment you advised to do just that. Then on your second comment your saying the time you let a terrier stay to ground depends on a dogs size and temperament? What has the size of a dog got to do with how long you would leave it before digging to it? Same with the work ethics? Yes young terriers obviously you like to get the spade over them and keep them winning so your going to be going to them sooner than an experienced dog. But what you've said to me is if the dogs hard then you'll be digging to it quicker than you would to a bayer? If that's the case then why? Because I'd be inclined to leave the harder dog just as long if not longer before I do anything just to see if it's really got what it takes and isn't going to throw the towel in after 45mins of "fighting". As for the size I'm lost.

• Like 1

A big terrier in tight tubes ain't going to push on as quick as a smaller terrier in big tubes is it, and I never said I'd dig to a harder dog quicker, what was ment was the baying types might not push as much as the harder types and as a result won't be in a stop as quick(if you get what I mean). So to sum up a hard dog at it for an hour may of been in the thick of it longer than an out an out Bayer that's been their for 2 hours.

No, I didn't say you said that it's what I took from it, that's why I asked. To be honest size doesn't make any difference unless we would be running foxes into tight spots with hounds. Then size would matter when it comes to time. Dropping a big lump of a terrier in a small poky spot a fox has been ran into is just stupid because the time it will take for the dog to dig on and squeeze to get to its quarry will be longer, but the time spent when they make contact will be no difference. Anyway that doesn't happen because we've dogs for jobs so size is very rearly ever an issue and the small terriers do every bit as wel as the big lumps even in big rangy rambly places, it's not the size of the dog but the size of its heart that matters, so again in my opinion size is irrelevant.

• Like 2

Most people don't have different sizes of terrier to use like picking a gun of a rack, and the one that's with you has to do the job. The lad who asked the original question to my knowledge only has one terrier also, so if you take the generals advice don't leave home without at least 4 different sized terriers or you'll be labelled a fool

• Like 1