Any Advice On What's Going On With My Terrier ?

I'm not picking or choosing earths haha. All my terriers aren't on the small size, far from it. I don't have different sized terriers for different situations, they are all big, and if one drops in along a bank in a tightish place he/she can and will dig on like they are meant to do. Now my friends have hounds and lurchers, terriers the same size as my own and also small terriers they have for when they go beating cover with hounds. If a fox breaks and the hounds or a Lurcher puts it to ground in a real tight spot. If I happen to be out with them in that scenario "which is very rarely" they're not going to ask me to grab one of my terriers to dig it out. I have done in the past but common sense has to prevail at times, that's why they keep certain terriers for them scenarios. Theyll use one of there wee foxing terriers, that are small and can get the job done. That way your not standing at one hole all day long waiting for hours for a big terrier to dig his way threw a rabbit warren before it even reaches its quarry. One bitch for example is a wee ball off fur, the bellman collar at the tightest notch is way too loose around her neck, he had to make extra holes in it for her. He shaved her down in the summer and to say there's nothing to her is an understatement. I've seen bigger hob ferrets ffs, regardless the bitch has accounted for many foxes and she's been dug out of some big places that are very roomy inside. I didn't say don't leave the house without four different types of terriers. The terriers I keep do what I want them to do and that's all I care as I feed and clean there shite so that's all that matters. Size doesn't mean you dig to a small terrier quicker than you would a larger terrier, which was the initial way I picked Timmy up on his post. Now if I kept hounds and lurchers I wouldn't have the terriers I have now, if I did I would need others that would be better suited for different jobs. Horses for courses lads.

Edited to say it's well off the topic in question now and it's got nothing to do with size why his dog has went backwards.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be you unknowingly clipped him with the spade previously on break through ,which has made him spade shy,the fact he works flawless until the crucial moment suggests he has had a bad experience a

Exactly terrier should stay with the quarry till the job is done. Everybody can make the excuses but to keep decent workers you need to strive to keep only the very best.

And this is why writing can be misconstrued, I knew what you ment and agree to a certain degree but just as you picked up on something you presumed I ment, I did the same. All being said I think you k

And this is why writing can be misconstrued, I knew what you ment and agree to a certain degree but just as you picked up on something you presumed I ment, I did the same. All being said I think you know what I'm getting at but putting it in writing is a different thing, so I'll try here and get back to the original post. If the dog in question is on the larger side and hits a bit in the tube which goes tighter with the fox just in front of it, maybe the fox feels safe enough to stay but knowing the dog can't push on enough to be much of a threat, but the dog (and again I don't know what style this said dog works at) may sound and think he's got it boxed up only for the hole to be opened and foxy to retreat further down now as he doesn't feel so safe, I know hope it makes more sense and perhaps given more time the dog would dig on and push the fox back or perhaps the dogs just happy to yap away and not push on in fear of the sharp end. Just something for the lad to consider before he goes and gets rid of a potentially good dog

• Like 3

doesn't sound like hes jacking at all too me , something has happened too him too make him come away , as the hard work is already done , you may have done too much too early , your only hope is too lift him now and try him next season , once they get into a habbit that's it , takes a lot too correct and the only way is too leave him off , maybe take him out on digs at the start of next season , listening too other workers , then giving him rewards , letting him know this is the reward under ground, ,ideally a few drains or culverts , start him off easy again . seen good potential dogs ruined on the numbers game and then spew , its all about judgement , hence why a lot don't start a terrier until two years.

you keep trying with this dog and it will get worst , needs time away and that's not guareenteed but your only hope

• Like 3

Bullshit, I had a dog he was big, and could dig and know more than me in that situation, as for what he done i won't exaggerate me or the dog, his fault, size, where a different size was easier to ground. Would the big dog leave the hole were breaking through, no f, ck chance,

Bullshit, I had a dog he was big, and could dig and know more than me in that situation, as for what he done i won't exaggerate me or the dog, his fault, size, where a different size was easier to ground. Would the big dog leave the hole were breaking through, no f, ck chance,

that depends on how quick u want the result , you wouldn't want too get a dog like that out the box with a pack of hounds waiting in a rabbit spot

But you have to give him more time to negotiate the tubes or is it only my dogs that don't take a jack hammer with them. Again we're going off topic and I'm just trying to give the lad advise and perhaps leaving the dog a bit longer before reaching for the spade, but f**k it dig the dog as soon as it's made contact, I really couldn't give a shit

• Like 1

Good advice whippet and one to remember, but a dog keen and your the one holding it back and then turns out a lemon, laziness, scent, must know,? "," the something not right. The should nt, turn the nose, or head, unless the haven't got one or the been dog after dog

When the light comes in the quarry will become lot more aggressive can the dog cope with that there is no easy part at all 1 find 2 bottle up 3 stay how do you know the quarry hasn't moved on when the dog could be baying a meter or 2 away let's face it most of the time if the quarry can get out of the way and get to a block end if possible it will but without listening to what's going on below and digging to dog and know what has happened to dog on previous digs I'm not going assume anything

When the light comes in the quarry will become lot more aggressive can the dog cope with that there is no easy part at all 1 the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the find 2 bottle up 3 stay how do you know the quarry hasn't moved on when the dog could be baying a meter or 2 away let's face it most of the time if the quarry can get out of the way and get to a block end if possible it will but without listening to what's going on below and digging to dog and know what has happened to dog on previous digs I'm not going assume anything

yes but it hasn't got to that intelligence or stick, I mean it a different world out there, not just a quick green eye, I wouldn't even call something that, a dog who works no surrounding, and no push but doesn't give a inch, if the was one, and in the extreme and no flucke