Need Help Buying An Air Rifle..

There is a pattern here and it is always the same.

When people want to get started they have a pre conceived idea that £200 should cover it.

200 quid is a fair amount of cash to waste and that is what you will be doing if you buy a new rifle,scope and gun bag.

Don't forget that with out a gun slip you can't even take it into the street to put it in your car.

Even second hand you are pushing it a bit at 200 and I think that 250 for a second hand set up my be a better idea.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There wank   Welcome to THL kidder.

Firstly. Alright man. Second. Good lad leaning the manual route. If I had 200 beans, and was new to the sport, but perhaps know what I know now, I'd get a 99s in twenty two being as they are just over

Jordon get an hw mate you will not look back i forgot about the   and you will get one scoped up for just a little more than your budget   Toms right on the money on the   Listen im not being

Posted Images

There is a pattern here and it is always the same.

When people want to get started they have a pre conceived idea that £200 should cover it.

200 quid is a fair amount of cash to waste and that is what you will be doing if you buy a new rifle,scope and gun bag.

Don't forget that with out a gun slip you can't even take it into the street to put it in your car.

Even second hand you are pushing it a bit at 200 and I think that 250 for a second hand set up my be a better idea.

£250 will buy a damned site more secondhand than it will do new.

£250 new is limiting yourself to the bottom end, such as Hatsan and SMK... Not that they are necessarily bad, but an HW95 or 99 secondhand will give you the better trigger. Just be careful.

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 1

I will say from the off that I have no experience of modern spring air rifles but the point being made on a number of occasions is that if you buy a cheap rifle, you will either not use it much because it is not well made or not so accurate and your cash has gone to a gun which looks the business in the shop is not worth a light when you want to sell it to buy another AND YOU WILL UPGRADE, we all do.

I have had various guns, mainly shotguns, for nearly 50 years and even now, I still buy the odd gun or two but at least I KNOW what I am wanting to achieve.

The first reply you were given by Rez was a sound response based on quality brands that have stood the test of time and used by people who really know their stuff.

I used to run a clay pigeon club many years ago and we had a number of people turn up wanting both advice and the chance of a shot or two. As enthusiasts, we like to pass on the knowledge we have gained over the years and again as enthusiasts we try to help people make the right choice so it is normal that shooters will let you have a go with their guns. I used to have air rifles from being about 12 years old shooting rats in the local farm but as most of my life has been given over to shotguns, I needed quality advice on gun choice when I came back to the sport this year. Take advice from guys who know and carry out a google search for an air rifle club in your area. If you put a little time and trouble to visit a club, I promise you will not regret it.

Santa may bring you a bit more dosh which will help you to reach the amount the guys are suggesting you need to reach.

Good luck with your search and don't buy crap for that you will regret.................

Phil

I will say from the off that I have no experience of modern spring air rifles but the point being made on a number of occasions is that if you buy a cheap rifle, you will either not use it much because it is not well made or not so accurate and your cash has gone to a gun which looks the business in the shop is not worth a light when you want to sell it to buy another AND YOU WILL UPGRADE, we all do.

I have had various guns, mainly shotguns, for nearly 50 years and even now, I still buy the odd gun or two but at least I KNOW what I am wanting to achieve.

The first reply you were given by Rez was a sound response based on quality brands that have stood the test of time and used by people who really know their stuff.

I used to run a clay pigeon club many years ago and we had a number of people turn up wanting both advice and the chance of a shot or two. As enthusiasts, we like to pass on the knowledge we have gained over the years and again as enthusiasts we try to help people make the right choice so it is normal that shooters will let you have a go with their guns. I used to have air rifles from being about 12 years old shooting rats in the local farm but as most of my life has been given over to shotguns, I needed quality advice on gun choice when I came back to the sport this year. Take advice from guys who know and carry out a google search for an air rifle club in your area. If you put a little time and trouble to visit a club, I promise you will not regret it.

Santa may bring you a bit more dosh which will help you to reach the amount the guys are suggesting you need to reach.

Good luck with your search and don't buy crap for that you will regret.................

Phil

Whoa! My Hatsans, though cheap are accurate. They are appreciably cheaper than an HW95 or 99, but they are reliable, well made guns. Just not quite as good as the 95 or 99. The 900 is nowhere in the same league as the 60, but they are accurate and will drop vermin all day long.

Heck the two PCP rifles I use most at the moment are my Galatians, they are accurate and cheap, so I won't mind if I fall in a ditch clutching one as much as I would was if it was the Mk 3 or BSA....

Phil

Whoa! My Hatsans, though cheap are accurate. They are appreciably cheaper than an HW95 or 99, but they are reliable, well made guns. Just not quite as good as the 95 or 99. The 900 is nowhere in the same league as the 60, but they are accurate and will drop vermin all day long.

Heck the two PCP rifles I use most at the moment are my Galatians, they are accurate and cheap, so I won't mind if I fall in a ditch clutching one as much as I would was if it was the Mk 3 or BSA....

I'm sorry, I had not thought of the Hatsan guns as they do have a good feed back from people/forums who have them. Their semi auto shotguns have also built quite a reputation with pigeon shooters in my area so I take my words back and not include these guns although I did look at the 900 for my son in law and agree they are made to a price even so my local RFD sells loads of them because of the price.

Phil

Phil

I'm sorry, I had not thought of the Hatsan guns as they do have a good feed back from people/forums who have them. Their semi auto shotguns have also built quite a reputation with pigeon shooters in my area so I take my words back and not include these guns although I did look at the 900 for my son in law and agree they are made to a price even so my local RFD sells loads of them because of the price.

Phil

Their semi auto shotguns are a pile of crap,fit only as a Hatstand, I have no experience of their airguns, I just hope they are better than the shotguns.

Phil

Phil

Their semi auto shotguns are a pile of crap,fit only as a Hatstand, I have no experience of their airguns, I just hope they are better than the shotguns.

I don't own one, I have Berretta DT10 guns but I know three guys personally who use them for pigeon shooting and one for wildfowling and all perform well along with a few guys who clay shoot with them and seem to be happy with theirs so what can I tell you other than what I have been told. I was toying with getting one for my daughter and did some tests with 21grm cartridges which all fed perfectly although they should not cycle less than 28grm so I guess I have to take it as I find it.

One other situation is a good friend of mine has a 20 bore for corporate clay shooting which has had many thousands of shells through it with not a single issue and he is now going to buy a 12 bore for the same task so they can't be all bad. To be absolutely fair, a guy at my clay club bought a new Berretta DT11 at just over £6k, nothing but problems so top brands can have their troubles.

Edited by philpot
  • Like 1

Hi buddy

Not to rule out the walther LGU/LGV,well underrated rifles and as accurate as HW & AA

For the money,probably the best springer out of the box,if your budget can stretch to it.

If you can get one second hand,then all the better for your pocket.

Probably best to try before you buy,and do some homework,just as you have here to.

Welcome buddy

When did you get a stainless mac? :)

There not stainless ,lol they are parkerised ,if I have spelt it right,lol.

But advertised as nickel plated,lol.

Trust you to come up with that mr,no it all :tongue2:

it looks like stainless defo dose not look like nickel but you right on them advertising them as that

hope you and your family have a good day to day Davy

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1