Using A Sire Twice In A Row

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly ,how many of you have ever done the repeat mating because appears to be a lot of 'my mate did' or 'i once knew ' . Pity topics like this wernt confined to fact not hearsay or classroom theor

There lies the answer.     Statistically with the same Sire & Dam with an even number of offspring the results should be the same and quality of pups the same. Varying Environmental condition

I've heard this a lot mostly from old timers and I've come to the conclusion that's it's an old wives tale imho . I've seen breeding done in fowl where the turnover and results can be seen a lot quick

Sorry Corkman, but I don't buy theories figured out in a laboratory.

If dog breeding could be worked out on a piece of paper then we'd all have great dogs and there wouldn't be a wild mammal left in our countryside.

I'd rather listen to the men who's lab is their yard and the testing ground.

Like I say, most of us will repeat a mating or two in their yards but in the past there's been lads who done it many times and stopped doing so.

Personally I wouldn't do it but would look to breed the same bitch back to a closely related dog.

It also helps your breeding in the future to do so IMO. It widens your terriers gene pool to do so.

JMHO and that's all it is, an opinion.

They're doing interesting things with horses at the minute based on labwork

That's an interesting point........obviously there's millions involved in breeding horses & such work is never going to be applied to hunting dogs, but could it? Would you greatly reduce the variables?

I no greyhound breeder. He bred a litter out of his bitch to bexhill Eoin. 5 or6 of these pups made it to clonmel coursing and done good in it. He was breeding the bitch again and I said it to him would you not do a repeat mating and he said no a repeat mating never works. Personally I can't see how it wouldn't work but he was dead against it

• Like 3

I know a lad who bred the same two together over a 8 year span 4 times first three litters where good last litter total shite .

Last litter could have been inferior due to both parents being very old.

Downsouth I have heard this about old parents before but didn't really believe it, what causes it? As said before im planning on breeding my bitch that's eight, would she be classed as old, thanks

I know a lad who bred the same two together over a 8 year span 4 times first three litters where good last litter total shite .

Last litter could have been inferior due to both parents being very old.

Downsouth I have heard this about old parents before but didn't really believe it, what causes it? As said before im planning on breeding my bitch that's eight, would she be classed as old, thanks
Eight should be fine but HPR said they had 4 litters over 8 years so if the parents were both 2 when they were first bred they would have been 10+ when the last litter was produced.If a couple of 60-70 year old people had a kid you wouldn't be suprised if it didn't turn into a fine specimen of a man or woman.

I lined my bitch twice with miks tigger of this site and 12 pups made cracking dogs no waste that could have been because it was a aunty to nethew breeding or i was very lucky and same againg in another season or 2 ill be using razor again because my pup im running now 14months old is a cracker and butlers pup as well ,so im a fan of repeat breeding .

• Like 1

I lined my bitch twice with miks tigger of this site and 12 pups made cracking dogs no waste that could have been because it was a aunty to nethew breeding or i was very lucky and same againg in another season or 2 ill be using razor again because my pup im running now 14months old is a cracker and butlers pup as well ,so im a fan of repeat breeding .

How have they pups out of Razor started mate?

How have they pups out of Razor started mate?

my bitch pup is i cracker mik really powerful and can stick on like her dam just with a hell ov alot more wind so shes very dangerous and butlers pup is very simler to trigger do or die he wont make old bones like the rest ov them .
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, a good bit of discussion.

A lot of greyhound blokes wont do it, they will breed with another dog then breed the third litter back to the first sire.

The averages say that you might get a litter of city track winners in the first mating but lucky to get a single dog to make it to the city in the repeat mating.

Was just wondering if people had found it with terriers, ive never had the chance to do a repeat mating one of them hasn't lived long enough to try.

• Like 1

What about when a good dog and bitch are bred together and produce rubbish.They don't get bred again but who's to say that if they were they wouldn't/couldn't produce a cracking litter second time around .Or what about when a litter of 6 produces 2or3 belter and the rest are shit.Sometimes you'll get good sometimes you'll get shit I don't think first,second,third litter from same parents has anything to do with it.

• Like 4