If You Could Go It Alone

I like the idea of landscape gardening or doing something creative, I work in oil and gas so I'd have to retrain for whatever I went for really as it's a pretty specific trade. It would be nice to have something physical to show for my efforts as opposed to just keeping motors and pumps running if that makes sense.

It's only day dreaming at the minute as I'm a way off being in a position to take the plunge even if I did know what I wanted to go into.

GaZ

it wouldn't take you long to pick it up gaz do you not know any landscapers that you could labour on till you learned then maybe start with say block paving and flagging indian stone seems to be getting popular even garden and shed clearences but remember don't try and take to much on and keep your job so you still have a wage and maybe do it at weekends till you start building up theres gov grants you can get just google it for your area and theres loads of free advertising to be had f/book etc I know one lad who makes hanging baskets has a side line goes landscaping and even gritting old dears paths in winter just to make a few quid and don't turn down a job because its to small and never under sell yourself

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose it all comes down to what you class as living well........if having "stuff" is what you mean then let me tell you, it's not the be all and end all. Now sure, it's nice to have "stuff".....b

I started up myself just over a year ago I passed my driving and my boss at the time was due me a few pounds and a window rounds 70 customers in a total mess we just went when we had a day of fencing

You and me both matey! I'm determined to invent something and become a millionaire..... only one problem...   One day, probably in my 80s, I'll figure out what I want to do with my life! LOL

Started my own business when I was 21 that's 22 years ago......business has increased every year

It was the best move I ever made

Solar panels are popular on houses now......surely they need cleaned

Less than 50 trained solar panels cleaners in the UK,a pal does it and he's just done a course on how to clean them etc and there in't many doing it :thumbs:

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

Started my own business when I was 21 that's 22 years ago......business has increased every year

Less than 50 trained solar panels cleaners in the UK,a pal does it and he's just done a course on how to clean them etc and there in't many doing it :thumbs:

When I got solar panels last year I was told that they wouldn't need cleaning as they were basically non stick.

Sure enough bird shit doesn't even stick just gets washed off with the rain. I would think that most panel brands are the same these days.

That's the decent thing about my job at the minute blackmaggie, I work a rotation so I get plenty of time at home to start something informally and hopefully build it up over the next few years to a point where I can jack my job in.

GaZ

• Like 3

When I got solar panels last year I was told that they wouldn't need cleaning as they were basically non stick.

Sure enough bird shit doesn't even stick just gets washed off with the rain. I would think that most panel brands are the same these days.

Maybe :thumbs: but dust and grim will affect the effectiveness of them and was watching a programe about the arabs and their new self running city/town thing and they had massive brushes on a frame work that covered the hight of the panels they had,they all will need doing at some time in the year and it's not like there's only a few of them about :laugh: ..

That sounds like a good plan Gaz, there's plenty of lads do that and to be honest that's enough.

If you can build it up where your second job is all your pocket money and all your household exes are covered by your wages then that's not a bad place to be.

Since I had kids I have not been that "driven" where I want to be at work all the time devoting my life to turning it into a big concern, it was different before when we didn't have kids.

Been skint a couple of times over my life, it comes with the territory and isn't the end of the world.....you just wipe your mouth and carry on.

That's another thing people have a hard time getting their head round when you have come from the normality of a regular wage/job.

I suppose my advice would be, whatever you do.....be happy......life's too short to be stressed and pissed off.

I wouldnt class myself as anything like well off, but at 43 I am semi retired, no mortgage and I get by alright.

Have plenty of time with my family which is brilliant......just remember, whatever you earn money won't buy you that ;)

• Like 5

Shouldn't moan really. I'm in the countryside all day on my own with the terrier and I sometimes take the shotty with me as my duties allow me to do some vermin control. I mix with keepers and farmers a lot of the time during my working day. Done the clocking in shit

• Like 1

That sounds like a good plan Gaz, there's plenty of lads do that and to be honest that's enough.

If you can build it up where your second job is all your pocket money and all your household exes are covered by your wages then that's not a bad place to be.

Since I had kids I have not been that "driven" where I want to be at work all the time devoting my life to turning it into a big concern, it was different before when we didn't have kids.

Been skint a couple of times over my life, it comes with the territory and isn't the end of the world.....you just wipe your mouth and carry on.

That's another thing people have a hard time getting their head round when you have come from the normality of a regular wage/job.

I suppose my advice would be, whatever you do.....be happy......life's too short to be stressed and pissed off.

I wouldnt class myself as anything like well off, but at 43 I am semi retired, no mortgage and I get by alright.

Have plenty of time with my family which is brilliant......just remember, whatever you earn money won't buy you that ;)

The days of being away from home all around the country and chasing the carrot they keep feeding you are thankfully gone for me...

But... It's hard to stop or even slow down I think, the weeks when you haven't earnt a penny are always in the back of your mind, it makes you graft even if you don't want to lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

Im self imployed and it can be a nightmare at times but ive never had a real job in my life so i dont know any different im a long way from being a rich man but im my own boss and i can do what i want. Just remember to put plenty away because theres nothing to fall back on apart from yourself one slip and you injure your self and your fecked i did a few years ago when i broke my tail bone and couldnt work for 3 months it whent with most of my savings.

Thought about going into pest control three times got all the gear all the contacts but landowners won't put there hand in there pocket up here when they have guys chopping on there door every other day who can blame them ? After a good week on the rabbits you know you have had a good work out so I will stick to my nice clean job and still have a good wage coming in each moth and topping it up with the extra I get from doing a hobby I really like doing

Little coffee shop and some bud when it all finally does go legal. Look at over in america how much their earning. Trouble is youll have the big money fuckers being able to buy more n sell cheaper. Have to find some sort of uniqueness and make people want to come to yours. Sounds abit of a joke post maybe but think how big the industry is. Wont be for a few years but its bound to happen.

I did a coffee shop management course years ago at willie wortels,there are a number of people with a couple of quid salted away waiting in the wings,when it is legalised,and its only a matter of time,there will be money to be made.Canada,the states,and several other countries are on the ball,Richard Branston has a business plan drawn up already,the bigger corporations like BAT etc will cotton on and cash in,spain has a number of membership clubs,i even knew a few underground cafes in the uk.its just a matter of time.

• Like 1

Thing is in this country it's no just enough to run your own business , you have health and safety , risk assessments and be able to do your accounts and get them in on time