Annoying Phrases.....

The one that really, really gets to me (and its the only way i can think of to describe it) is the rise in voice pitch at the end of a sentence, so that every statement sounds like a question.....that annoys the living 5hit out of me !

I'm getting angry just thinking about it !!

That Australian style / California vegan intonation kills me in films

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People that use the word "lush" and aren't talking about grass complete f***ing nobbers

'Pulled Pork'..................................Everything's pulled sodding pork these days ....

Is it just me, or do any of these modern "buzz-phrases" really get up your nose ?   Are you fed up of hearing about "iconic" buildings ? Had enough of talent show contestants going on "an amazing jo

I work in a place where a huge variety of accents and colloquialisms are brought together under one roof...

When we spend a lot of time together isolated , you find yourself mimicking people in order to communicate easier or you adopt there habits...when me and my South african pal spent nearly 18 months together as in side by side ALl DAY ..my mother mentioned my clipped English accent..

When I go to my pals over the border, my wife explodes with the ayes, the kens and the aye rights I Nick up from him...or if I go to wilfs I find myself throwing words into my speech such as naughty, loon and shut up a few days afterwards...

On another note, there are lads at work who love the way me And the other carlisle lad in our troop talk when we are together, we use words like parney, pagar, schreeve, sploits, charvers, shunter doylum.

Another. Lad from Liverpool uses lad all the time, or go ahead ...personally I finded regional differences in the queens amazing...,,

All except that fake sappy street patois used by white southerners

• Like 5

I work in a place where a huge variety of accents and colloquialisms are brought together under one roof...

When we spend a lot of time together isolated , you find yourself mimicking people in order to communicate easier or you adopt there habits...when me and my South african pal spent nearly 18 months together as in side by side ALl DAY ..my mother mentioned my clipped English accent..

When I go to my pals over the border, my wife explodes with the ayes, the kens and the aye rights I Nick up from him...or if I go to wilfs I find myself throwing words into my speech such as naughty, loon and shut up a few days afterwards...

On another note, there are lads at work who love the way me And the other carlisle lad in our troop talk when we are together, we use words like parney, pagar, schreeve, sploits, charvers, shunter doylum.

Another. Lad from Liverpool uses lad all the time, or go ahead ...personally I finded regional differences in the queens amazing...,,

All except that fake sappy street patois used by white southerners

parney and schreeve water and car ?
  • Like 1

..or if I go to wilfs I find myself thinking of words words such as "Role Model", "Giant amongst men", " chiselled good looks" and "deadly assasin" for a few days afterwards...

Aw leave off mate, it's a bit embarrassing !

• Like 4

Literally - when they don't mean it literally. "I was literally covered in shit" "I literally jumped out of my skin."

and the old favourite...BASICALLY at the beginning of every sentence. Grrrr!

Regional dialect is great.....i like all the different patter you get from different areas i find it interesting.....its good that tradition still holds strong in certain areas.............but these nauseating muggy fad words that seem to catch on nationwide i just find revolting the main one for me being when middle aged men start addressing other middle aged men as " fella ".... " bud "....." geez " :censored: ....it makes me want to just reach over and rip their throat out !!!

Slightly less irritating but still annoying are the sentances with high pitched endings that always finish with the last sentance being low pitched :blink:

Waitresses giving you your meal and saying " enjoy "............."Can i get " instead of " can i have "............................theres loads really i better stop before i go all Alf Garnett :D

• Like 1

Regional dialect is great.....i like all the different patter you get from different areas i find it interesting.....its good that tradition still holds strong in certain areas.............but these nauseating muggy fad words that seem to catch on nationwide i just find revolting the main one for me being when middle aged men start addressing other middle aged men as " fella ".... " bud "....." geez " :censored: ....it makes me want to just reach over and rip their throat out !!!

Slightly less irritating but still annoying are the sentances with high pitched endings that always finish with the last sentance being low pitched :blink:

Waitresses giving you your meal and saying " enjoy "............."Can i get " instead of " can i have "............................theres loads really i better stop before i go all Alf Garnett :D

Jeez take a chill pill an chillax fella

• Like 1

There's been a similar thread before. I remember 'fella' being a popular hated word. I use it a fair bit and suddenly became dead conscious of using it. LOL.

But decided f**k it, can't please everyone. We all have stuff that grinds on others I guess.

Edited by Born Hunter

It seems these days that you cant have a normal name you have to personalise it e.g. Not that Kylie is a normal name but Kyleigh is a name at my kids school. Traycee (WTF!!) is another. Mollee and a boy called Kayle ( I thought that was a type of brassica) and another called Kayleb are children who will grow up to waste a tenth of his life explaining what dickheads their parents were and correcting people on how to spell their names.

Black people do a lot of that 'make your own name up' thing i.e. Sharnesa, Sharlenamina Shirlessa etc. which gets on my thruppnies as well. Its as though they thought of three names they did like, and made one name up from all three

D'Ya Getme

I've lost count of the number of times a red line has appeared on words in this post and I've had to click on ignore. I am LITERALLY dead :wallbash:

• Like 2

There's been a similar thread before. I remember 'fella' being a popular hated word. I use it a fair bit and suddenly became dead conscious of using it. LOL.

But decided f**k it, can't please everyone. We all have stuff that grinds on others I guess.

Where i come from 'Fella' is a real old phrase the old timers use...i find my self using it a lot...the other stuff youngsters insert in their speech just amuses me more than annoys..but the one phrase that really pisses me off is....'Poorly'... as in hes feeling poorly....just makes the ill person sound a right poof!

Where i come from 'Fella' is a real old phrase the old timers use...i find my self using it a lot...the other stuff youngsters insert in their speech just amuses me more than annoys..but the one phrase that really pisses me off is....'Poorly'... as in hes feeling poorly....just makes the ill person sound a right poof!

Is it used to actually address someone though ?.....would it replace simple " mate " ?...................ive often said it in the context " i saw some fella walking down the road "...........but never " alright fella how you doing "......that just grates on me.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1