What Makes People Tough

Tom Crean - you've probably never heard of him, but that's him in my avatar.

There are many tales of his heroism -he travelled to the Antarctic twice with Shackleton - but the best known is from Scott's ill-fated Terra Nova expedition of 1912....

He was in the final support group that left Scott et al to continue the last 170 miles to the South Pole. En route back to base, some 700 miles (!), Edward Evans began to suffer from scurvy and was struck by snow blindness. Crean and Lashley hauled him on a sled as long as they could, but as the days passed, they fell further and further behind schedule.

Covering barely 2 miles a day, they found themselves with 5 days left to travel, but only 2 days food at most, and an Antarctic blizzard closing in - they weren't going to make it !

Crean decided that their only hope was for him to fetch help, while Evans and Lashley made camp...........

Carrying no equipment, food or means of navigation, he set off on his lonely trek, across the Ross Ice Shelf.

Knee-deep in snow,and barely able to see where he was going, he walked non-stop, for 18 hours, covering almost 35 miles, knowing that if he failed not only would he die, but so would his friends.

Miraculously, he made it, although barely alive, and help was sent to rescue the others.

A few days later, a hospital orderly found half a bar of chocolate in his coat pocket, and asked why he hadn't eaten it. He said he was saving it for an emergency !

Edited by Blackbriar
  • Like 14

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A keyboard

parents knowing or seeing the child fight for life that they may not win yet they remain dignified and strong for there child is a toughness i believe takes some beating

Tom Crean - you've probably never heard of him, but that's him in my avatar.   There are many tales of his heroism -he travelled to the Antarctic twice with Shackleton - but the best known is from S

There are many tales of his heroism -he travelled to the Antarctic twice with Shackleton - but the best known is from Scott's ill-fated Terra Nova expedition of 1912....

He was in the final support group that left Scott et al to continue the last 170 miles to the South Pole. En route back to base, some 700 miles (!), Edward Evans began to suffer from scurvy and was struck by snow blindness. Cream and Lashley hauled him on a sled as long as they could, but as the days passed, they fell further and further behind schedule.

Covering barely 2 miles a day, they found themselves with 5 days left to travel, but only 2 days food at most, and an Antarctic blizzard closing in - they weren't going to make it !

Cream decided that their only hope was for him to fetch help, while Evans and Lashley made camp...........

Carrying no equipment, food or means of navigation, he set off on his lonely trek, across the Ross Ice Shelf.

Knee-deep in snow,and barely able to see where he was going, he walked non-stop, for 18 hours, covering almost 35 miles, knowing that if he failed not only would he die, but so would his friends.

Miraculously, he made it, although barely alive, and help was sent to rescue the others.

A few days later, a hospital orderly found half a bar of chocolate in his coat pocket, and asked why he hadn't eaten it. He said he was saving it for an emergency !

Brill read that :thumbs: not many people made like he was :yes:

• Like 3

He was in the final support group that left Scott et al to continue the last 170 miles to the South Pole. En route back to base, some 700 miles (!), Edward Evans began to suffer from scurvy and was struck by snow blindness. Cream and Lashley hauled him on a sled as long as they could, but as the days passed, they fell further and further behind schedule.

Cream decided that their only hope was for him to fetch help, while Evans and Lashley made camp...........

Never heard that story. f***ing amazing. I will be doing some research into him. Many thanks.

My old grandmother, run a poultry farm in the 1930s single handed, lived through the war, with bombs dropping not too far away, took me on as a baby when she was nearly 60, showed me how to skin rabbits, pluck birds, and more about the countryside than a lifetime of reading books could ever teach, frightened of fu*k all, they dont make em like that any more :yes:

• Like 11

He was in the final support group that left Scott et al to continue the last 170 miles to the South Pole. En route back to base, some 700 miles (!), Edward Evans began to suffer from scurvy and was struck by snow blindness. Crean and Lashley hauled him on a sled as long as they could, but as the days passed, they fell further and further behind schedule.

Crean decided that their only hope was for him to fetch help, while Evans and Lashley made camp...........

Never heard that story. f***ing amazing. I will be doing some research into him. Many thanks.
I think it's a terrible shame that he travelled with people remembered as heroes, yet he is largely unknown.

He was a truly remarkable man ! Joining the Navy at 15 (a really tough life in those days!) probably stood him in good stead.

He spent months drifting on pack ice, survived an 800 mile journey in an open life boat and was one of the first people to cross South Georgia on foot, despite having no mountaineering or navigation equipment!!

If you ever find yourself in County Kerry, there's a pub called "The South Pole" - he ran the pub after he retired and never spoke of his adventures again !

There aren't any photos of his testicles, but I'm prepared to bet that they were f***ing enormous............

Edited by Blackbriar
  • Like 3

My old grandmother, run a poultry farm in the 1930s single handed, lived through the war, with bombs dropping not too far away, took me on as a baby when she was nearly 60, showed me how to skin rabbits, pluck birds, and more about the countryside than a lifetime of reading books could ever teach, frightened of fu*k all, they dont make em like that any more :yes:

Sounds like a great lady cc,

• Like 1

McClean?

No Lenny the fukcing lion ... You dopey fucktard lol .......

Hahahahahahaha Now That Made Me Laugh :) :) . What Makes Me Laugh Is Some People Have This Image Of Physical Toughness I Suppose Its Like A Working Terrier Show , Rarely Will The Tough 100% Not Give An Inch Dog Win , The Toughest Bloke I Know Doesn't Stand Out In A Crowd Is As Nice A Bloke You'd Wish To Meet , Reguarding Mental Toughness Us Men Don't Come Close To Women . . I'm Afraid To Admit !!
  • Like 1

Theirs tough then theirs people like Ranulf Feinnes just done a desert marathon at 71 some are just born that way.

they broke the mould with this fella. he has done some incredible feats of endurance under some terrible conditions.

• Like 3

Couldnt agree more......i listen to some of the old timers round here who were living in one of the most heavily bombed areas in the country talking as though it was just normal everyday life to sleep knee deep in rat shit in the London Underground tunnels every night......i think its easy for our generation to lose sight of the absolute fear those people must of been living their lives in and still keeping their families together etc......different class.

I'd like to add this about my grandads;

Maternal born 1906 fought and served as a front line medic in the second. Was shot twice in the back carrying wounded soldiers. When taken off the front line and given a full honourable discharge he refused saying I'm not leaving my boys and went back to the front line for the remainder of the war. He never ever spoke of his experiences during this time to me or any of the grandkids ;)

The paternal was part of the fist commandos, again never spoke of anything but as sure as shit stinks he was an incredibly tough and in his day probably dangerous mofo.

Both these men and most of that generation have one thing in common, attitude, humble and just get the job done.

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 5

people who just get on with things and make no fuss ... the net has become a tool to create drama... lets see less of '' OMG he said .. she said '' and recognition for folks who give up there time to help others ... rather than wanting a gold star for getting up in the morning

Every community has got its ''unsung hero's folk who get on with it