Collie Greyhound

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love em or loathe em..nothing stirs a debate when the words collie & lurcher are talked of in the same sentence..some owners me included just seem to gel with a cur x where others would rather tea

I have to be honest here the collie x was my first Lurcher, back in 1958 I was 14 years old still at school, I wrote about this before, Now this is the crunch, I learned with that dog by listening t

i've run cur dogs for best part of 30 years now, and it has to be said that the owner does make an enormous difference to the dog. yes failures do occur, but have you ever wondered why most profession

Posted Images

As an appreciator of the collie cross, I find these topics very interesting. When it comes to creating your "ideal" hunting dog, would you prefer to have a collie hybrid that can run fast, or a running dog hybrid with nouse and substance?

I am genuinely not looking for an argument, but good old fashioned opinions.

ATB Trench

Very good point Trenchfoot.

I started out with a collie x lurcher twentysomething years ago and it wasn't quite what I wanted. It turned out that what I really wanted was the character/attributes of a collie ( or kelpie in my case) so I guess that puts me at the extreme end of your equation.

Having said that, although I mainly want a well behaved dog which thinks for itself but appreciates my input :whistling: I do still want it to catch something occasionaly. I must admit I wasn't sure how true this was until I had a collie x whippet many years ago who showed me on numerous occasions that she was only in it for the chase. The worst time was when she "cornered" a squirrel on a footpath between two trees. It kept trying to make it to one of the trees but she was so nippy she stopped it every time...then it just kind of gave up and froze in the middle of the path less than a yard from her...she lowered her head, raised her back-end, wagged her tail and said, "Go on; run again for me." Needless to say it didn't need asking twice and got away. :blink:

• Like 1

Dam was a Kevin Rowlands 10th gen bitch

Sire was collie greyattachicon.gifIMG_20150417_200256.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_20150417_200927.JPG

Nice stamp of a dog that is pal, i,ve a young bitch at home similar stamp to that, who bred it.regards collie john.
I tried to send you a pm empty your inbox

My bitch was bred out of a 10th gen bitch own by a good friend of mine that he got from Kevin.

Dam was a Kevin Rowlands 10th gen bitch

Sire was collie greyattachicon.gifIMG_20150417_200256.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_20150417_200927.JPG

Nice stamp of a dog that is pal, i,ve a young bitch at home similar stamp to that, who bred it.regards collie john.
I tried to send you a pm empty your inbox

My bitch was bred out of a 10th gen bitch own by a good friend of mine that he got from Kevin.

I have done pal.regards collie john.

Been reading this thread with interest. I ve kept both crosses and found the collie cross very easy to train great feet and better stamina than the bull cross. Saying that I switched from the collie cross to the bull cross about 15 years ago . I found the bull cross tried 100 % on every run and did nt have as good feet but would run regardless . They were a totally different animal bred for different jobs. I preferred the three quarter greyhound quarter collie but they did nt compare to the bull cross for Reynard . I'm talking regular night and day. But the bull cross was never as good on hare and rabbit. Both great crosses and great lurchers but in my opinion serve different purposes.

• Like 2

Is it not possible to combine these breeds to get the attributes you want in an all-round lurcher?

trunk on here does well joe, with his bullx grey x collie x grey, even though trunk do's fox control manly from his posts , I bet his dogs could still knock few rabbits over as well. all my bull x greys could catch rabbits no prob, ok maybe not as agile as my colliexs were, but still plenty fast enough to pick rabbits up , both my 3/8 bull and 1/4 bull xs caught fare few . :thumbs:

Is it not possible to combine these breeds to get the attributes you want in an all-round lurcher?

does nt quite work like that bud wish it was. We tried a few times but they were nt up to much. The collie x bitch was top notch at her job and the bull x was pure drive and determination but the offspring were neither of the two. It seemed to dilute the gameness they were selecting holds and holding back . And they were a bit heavy to run small game . Not for me I'm afraid

does nt quite work like that bud wish it was. We tried a few times but they were nt up to much. The collie x bitch was top notch at her job and the bull x was pure drive and determination but the offspring were neither of the two. It seemed to dilute the gameness they were selecting holds and holding back . And they were a bit heavy to run small game . Not for me I'm afraid
Thats only one litter tho. I just put that down to failed attempt. Not something to base a whole opinion on a x. Maybe the two bloods from them lines didnt work out. Not all dogs are producers. Loads to take into account. Seen plenty collie/bull/greys knock all game over

Do u think the collie would add to stamina on long runs more than if you had a straight sal grey ?

Collies have a very good recovery rate that hopefully gets passed on. Salukis are bred for long range runs like kenyans running for water lol it not uncommon to try blend the collie grey saluki grey for a more bidable versitle dog but thats when it works out haha.. like any other cross it can also go horruble wrong
  • Like 4

Best dog iv ever seen was a collie bull grey cracking all round dog I have his daughter here now not the dog he was but she certainly gives her all to everything

she certainly does ??