Bull Type Dogs

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's been a lot of debate in the news recently about how to tackle the growing problem of children being attacked by 'fighting dogs' such as Bull Terriers, which are often owned by Chavs who use th

No dog should be 100% trusted around kids, some serious shit gets waffles on this site, don't you flooking think everybody that owned the dogs that have killed or just bit children thought there dogs

As regards bulldogs i always felt it was a case of " instinct will get him there but gameness will keep him there "   I must admit when i first took an interest in hunting maybe 7 or 8 years ago i f

Posted Images

I would hazard a guess that 90% of pet owners are complete buffoons............dog, horse, gerbil, Bengal tiger.........you name it, they will over match themselves and worse still, keep repeating the mistake.

• Like 2

Exactly Dan, yes different breeds have different 'properties' but I believe upbringing plays more part in temperament than genetics

Thats as may be in dogs bred with no purpose..........but dogs bred for purpose throughout the generations nature will often play a far bigger part than nurture.

Enjoying reading your views Gnash :thumbs: The above post contradicts the earlier one about todays staffs being far removed from the more driven type of yesteryear,is this more a reference to the pits?cheers Dave

Hello Dave,im of the belief that the further you breed a dog away from the purpose it was bred the more problems you will have until such times as it ceases to be a dog bred for that purpose and therefore becomes easy to manipulate/nurture because genetic inherritance is not standing in the way........Staffs being the perfect example,they are so far removed from what they were once upon a time bred for they can no longer be spoken of in terms of fighting dogs and they are easy to nurture........whereas pit bulls being still so much closer to their purpose nature still plays a huge part and they are not as easily manipulated into what we want them to be....................another 30 odd generations breeding away from combat dogs and like the stafford they will retain very little of the qualities they were once bred for and will become easy to nurture.

Just my opinion like :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

I've known a few dogs that were just born bad,good owners,well raised from being pups,well fed and exercised etc

But the dogs were unsafe for anyone to be around for anyone,let alone a child.

All of them bar one had 'bull' in the name of thier breed.

I like the breed too,and of course they're not all like that but has anyone else found this to be the case?

And got the scars to prove it !.............The term " theres no bad dogs just bad owners "......has to be the most stupidly naive phrase anyone could ever of come up with !.......Anything born of nature has the ability to be born good......or bad...........physical or mental.

That's surely where good ownership comes to the fore though Gnash,

In that you just wouldn't put people (especially children) or other dogs in the situation where your dog can cause harm, of course there are "bad" dogs and it's you as the owner to make the right decisions for both the dog and others.

As a working dog yes i totally agree.....................as a pet dog i dont see the need to keep " bad " dogs alive.

• Like 1

The problem with the "sporting bred" bull breeds started (i.m.o) when they became owned by the non sporting fraternity.

you cannot take a highly tuned, sporting bred bull and terrier and stick it in the house with your wife and kids. It's the same with any sporting bred animal. can you imagine someone turning up at blackpool beach with a pair of thoroghbred race horces offering genteel rides for the kids! no, you take a nice dopey donkey. i've said before and i'll say it again. the best thing that happened for the A,P,B,T, was the 91DDA for it largely took them out of the hands of fools and only those who truly appreciated these fine animals took the risk to keep them. un fortunately, thing seem to have well and truly turned full circle...

Yokel

Perfect.....agree 1 million %.

Exactly Dan, yes different breeds have different 'properties' but I believe upbringing plays more part in temperament than genetics

Thats as may be in dogs bred with no purpose..........but dogs bred for purpose throughout the generations nature will often play a far bigger part than nurture.

Enjoying reading your views Gnash :thumbs: The above post contradicts the earlier one about todays staffs being far removed from the more driven type of yesteryear,is this more a reference to the pits?cheers Dave

Hello Dave,im of the belief that the further you breed a dog away from the purpose it was bred the more problems you will have until such times as it ceases to be a dog bred for that purpose and therefore becomes easy to manipulate/nurture because genetic inherritance is not standing in the way........Staffs being the perfect example,they are so far removed from what they were once upon a time bred for they can no longer be spoken of in terms of fighting dogs and they are easy to nurture........whereas pit bulls being still so much closer to their purpose nature still plays a huge part and they are not as easily manipulated into what we want them to be....................another 30 odd generations breeding away from combat dogs and like the stafford they will retain very little of the qualities they were once bred for and will become easy to nurture.

:thumbs: Its funny looking at the pits you see today ...cart horses with great big bucket heads....nice looking though some of them....a guy I used to know in the eighties had two Dutch imports,they were very different looking beasts,lithe ,athletic animals(one of them could climb trees :yes: )could run all day and were superb with dogs and people alike.,

:thumbs: Its funny looking at the pits you see today ...cart horses with great big bucket heads....nice looking though some of them....a guy I used to know in the eighties had two Dutch imports,they were very different looking beasts,lithe ,athletic animals(one of them could climb trees :yes: )could run all day and were superb with dogs and people alike.,

Like any working dogs mate your not going to see the best ones being walked round your local park...................theres still top quality bulldogs around there always will be,but in the main they just dont reach the hands of idiots and thats how it should be.....the dogs havent changed the owners have and its popularity that killed the breed in terms of family pets.

• Like 3

Like any working dogs mate your not going to see the best ones being walked round your local park...................theres still top quality bulldogs around there always will be,but in the main they just dont reach the hands of idiots and thats how it should be.....the dogs havent changed the owners have and its popularity that killed the breed in terms of family pets.

As someone else said its come full circle and seeing more of them knocking about recently,although sadly I have to say around here an awful lot of the dickheads have gone from staffs to whippets,lurchers and terriers(particularly Patterdales) none seem to show any sign of working them,but go well with the Barbours and Hunter wellies,parading around the park :blink: shudder to think what will happen if one of the "reality celebs" get a lurcher....its all gonna end badly :laugh: look at all the Chihuahas getting offloaded by dissilusioned chavs,whove realised when they take them out of their handbag they need feeding,walking and picking up after.... :whistling:

I've known a few dogs that were just born bad,good owners,well raised from being pups,well fed and exercised etc

I like the breed too,and of course they're not all like that but has anyone else found this to be the case?

And got the scars to prove it !.............The term " theres no bad dogs just bad owners "......has to be the most stupidly naive phrase anyone could ever of come up with !.......Anything born of nature has the ability to be born good......or bad...........physical or mental.

Not sure what ya mean there, what we say about dogs we must also say about all animals , can we say than that animals are either good or bad ??and where does instinct come into in ??

• Like 1

Not sure what ya mean there, what we say about dogs we must also say about all animals , can we say than that animals are either good or bad ??and where does instinct come into in ??

People,animals......nature throws up wronguns always has done always will..........this belief that theres no bad dogs is completely insane..............instinct is what a dog will have within....what comes natural.................in my opinion it is not instinct that makes a dog hard on people.

People,animals......nature throws up wronguns always has done always will..........this belief that theres no bad dogs is completely insane..............instinct is what a dog will have within....what comes natural.................in my opinion it is not instinct that makes a dog hard on people.

Why do you think dogs are different than any other animal, ??if other animals act on instinct why not dogs ???

Edited by Casso

I find this type of thing very interesting and a conversation that I had with my boys psychologist springs to mind. He has ADHD and also a very "male" brain which gives him a genetic predisposition to act first and think later, both verbally and physically. However he was raised, he would still have this trait, of course how he is raised can help him fit into the modern world better. As his shrink said, he would more fit into a celtic, warrior type society than he does In the modern, pc world that we live in now.

Through my dealings with dogs I truly do believe that mental illness and conditions also show themselves in the canine world both through genetic inheritance and damage done through bad treatment..........................everyone now will think that i'm the one with the mental illness :D