Bull Type Dogs

Drive in dogs is like a magnetic connection to a certain object , it's a pull energising the dog towards its target , it's not a mental process , in most cases the dog is genetically preprogrammed to act on certain stimulation , running dog to movement of rabbit , sheepdog to movement of animals but it's not fixed and social ability can overcome instinct, shepherds fitted into protection work , labs make good service dogs

The strength and duration of sustaining that connection under duress comes from the heart , it is still all the same drive to make contact in whatever form it takes , fighting , running , baying , retrieving across frozen lakes in mid winter , same drive to make connection to whatever form that is genetically pre-programmed for that dog

Gameness is just the amount of resistance an animal can take before that drive to make contact diminishes,

Took me a couple of reads Casso but that makes perfect sense. ;)

Oh yer, just to add, one of the better reads on here in a while this thred... :yes:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's been a lot of debate in the news recently about how to tackle the growing problem of children being attacked by 'fighting dogs' such as Bull Terriers, which are often owned by Chavs who use th

No dog should be 100% trusted around kids, some serious shit gets waffles on this site, don't you flooking think everybody that owned the dogs that have killed or just bit children thought there dogs

As regards bulldogs i always felt it was a case of " instinct will get him there but gameness will keep him there "   I must admit when i first took an interest in hunting maybe 7 or 8 years ago i f

Posted Images

Same here it took me a couple of reads :D .....but i like that its very well written and makes perfect sense......all apart from the " social ability can overcome instinct,shepherds fitted into protection work, labs make good service dogs "................personally i dont think its instinct being overcome,more a case of instinct being redirected............but cracking post anyway.

• Like 2

Your right probably a bad example of overcoming instincts , your nearer to the mark with redirected,

what I was trying to do was give an example of the social ability in canines overriding instinctive behaviour , terriers can live in the home with pet badgers , cat killing dogs can live in the home with cats, and bull dogs can turn their hand to other driven pursuits , I know that a sticky one with you but dogs are so so adaptable,

• Like 1

Your right probably a bad example of overcoming instincts , your nearer to the mark with redirected,

what I was trying to do was give an example of the social ability in canines overriding instinctive behaviour , terriers can live in the home with pet badgers , cat killing dogs can live in the home with cats, and bull dogs can turn their hand to other driven pursuits , I know that a sticky one with you but dogs are so so adaptable,

:laugh: Now you,ve gone and spoilt it :laugh:

While i agree instinct can definately be redirected and even overridden to a point...........you know as well as i do that as much as a bulldog can turn their hand to other things.......you will not overide that desire to stop 2 game bred bulldogs doing what comes natural.............in that sense this debate has turned full circle in as much as the whole problem in my opinion that the bulldog suffered as a pet breed of dog was people were trying to overide the instinct to do battle in order to make family pets.

Yeah your right in your assessment of genetically programmed dogs to do what nature intended for them and highly driven dogs do not make good family pets in the main

The problem with raising pups from driven parents of whatever breeding is that they are encoded with an intensitity that can't normally be replicated in the family home,

what I mean by that is if the genetic energy when the dog is stimulated is say 50.000 volts which would be equal to the sight of another dog for a seasoned pit , he needs to discharge all of that energy something which would be possible if he could roll for 20/30 mins but and here lies the problem if he can't do that to bring his system back to neutral he builds up a charge for the next dog or the next act which stimulates him

If you think of massive physical output that these dogs need to expend it hardy surprising incidents occur as they do , pig hunters are able to address the physical needs and intensity needs and some won't tolerate a dog aggressive animal but this also works because the dog has a channel with the intensity of work needed to hold a hog

Without an outlet and with no clear channel for that sort of intensity Im with ya on that

• Like 4

Drive should get the lurcher there..a little gameness should see an end result ;) in a bull blooded lurcher...a little off tangent there but thought i'd stick my tuppence worth in

As regards bulldogs i always felt it was a case of " instinct will get him there but gameness will keep him there "

I must admit when i first took an interest in hunting maybe 7 or 8 years ago i felt there was no dog alive that could impress me as much as a bulldog,i made the mistake of comparing every dog to them and dismissing other dogs/breeds as lacking gameness......................until the time i realised competition is competition and hunting is hunting...................things dont need to be fair with hunting like they do with competition and that was where i lacked understanding in hunting and dogs in general.

Since turning that corner ive come across dogs every bit as impressive as the bulldogs just in different ways......i,ll always have most love and admiration for the bulldogs as for me theres still no dog like them and for me one on one competition is the ultimate challenge..............but ive certainly come to respect a hunting dog and the qualities they need to be claimed " a good un "...............and i must admit reading near every word of this forum over the years has definately helped in that understanding...so thanks all :D

This has been a strong thread very interesting to read and take part in :thumbs:

• Like 8

There's been a lot of debate in the news recently about how to tackle the growing problem of children being attacked by 'fighting dogs' such as Bull Terriers, which are often owned by Chavs who use them as weapons and status symbols.

I think the only reasonable solution is to have the lot of them rounded up and humanely destroyed.

And their dogs rehomed.

expensive licenses for bull type dogs. Thatll stop em.

How would I ,or my dog or the general public ,benefit from me buying a license (expensive or otherwise)??what will it stop :hmm:

it will stop chavs buying em so you wont end up with a shit bred bull type and a bad name for the breed.

There's been a lot of debate in the news recently about how to tackle the growing problem of children being attacked by 'fighting dogs' such as Bull Terriers, which are often owned by Chavs who use them as weapons and status symbols.

I think the only reasonable solution is to have the lot of them rounded up and humanely destroyed.

And their dogs rehomed.

expensive licenses for bull type dogs. Thatll stop em.

How would I ,or my dog or the general public ,benefit from me buying a license (expensive or otherwise)??what will it stop :hmm:

it will stop chavs buying em so you wont end up with a shit bred bull type and a bad name for the breed.

You don't honestly believe that it will stop them buying them surely :hmm: Its illegal to own a Pitbull here....theres an abundance of them...if theyre flouting the law by owning one do you seriously think they will cough up for a license,no,but responsible owners like myself would...just another cash cow for the Govt ....I agree fully that something needs to be done,just cant see this helping at all,if anything it will just put more bull breeds into rescues...leading to more inappropriate owners taking them on,and so the cycle continues..JMO :thumbs:

• Like 1