Bull Type Dogs

To be quite honest if I was a young lad on the street wanting a status dog I wouldn't get a little 20-25kg staff or a 35kg pitbul I'd get a 60+ kg mastiff. Young lads get these dogs because of the label they have been given by media and people saying it looks hard to own one. People who hang round the streets with dogs made to be aggresive should be rounded up and made to run in a meat suit whilst their aggresive dogs chase and chew the ass off of them ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's been a lot of debate in the news recently about how to tackle the growing problem of children being attacked by 'fighting dogs' such as Bull Terriers, which are often owned by Chavs who use th

No dog should be 100% trusted around kids, some serious shit gets waffles on this site, don't you flooking think everybody that owned the dogs that have killed or just bit children thought there dogs

As regards bulldogs i always felt it was a case of " instinct will get him there but gameness will keep him there "   I must admit when i first took an interest in hunting maybe 7 or 8 years ago i f

Posted Images

Gnasher, from some of your previous posts I suspect that you know an awful lot more about pits and their crosses than I do. Just interested in your opinion, do you think that they can be trusted in a family situation or do you think that their inherent game drive is just too intense. I think your previous comment was well put, about all bull breeds being labelled together. Having said that I do agree with the deed not breed principle. It would be good to get a straight from the hip opinion from someone who "knows" the breed :thumbs:

Huan72 i probably have a bit of a bias view as i admire the working ability of a pit bull far more than the pet side so i might not be the best person to ask.....i never kept them indoors around kids they were in kennels/runs as were anyone elses i knew who admired the breed like i did.......i know and can fully accept some of them make great house dogs and are as reliable as any other breed around kids,they can have enough intelligence and self confidence not to get worked up like many dogs can..........but......if im perfectly honest i dont think the breed as a whole make good house dogs.....there are just too many pressures within the family home that the inbuilt drive and desire to let off steam in whatever form that takes thats within these dogs is just too much in my opinion............now im talking about pure bred American Pit Bull Terriers not crosses.....i cant say for crosses as ive never owned one...........but the majority of the Pit Bulls that came here were relatively close up historically to active sporting dogs that were doing battle within the last few generations.......so that means that urge to compete,that desire for contact was still very strong........over the years they have been here some of that has been bred out due to the pet market.......but like i say it is still up close enough in their background to show itself from time to time..........and while it doesnt necessarily relate directly to aggression towards people.....its pushing the dog to its limits tolerance wise to try to curb hundreds of years of selective instinct.......sorry for the long winded reply i often get carried away when talking bulldogs :D ...but no,in my opinion on the whole they do not make good pet/family dogs.

• Like 2

Exactly Dan, yes different breeds have different 'properties' but I believe upbringing plays more part in temperament than genetics

Thats as may be in dogs bred with no purpose..........but dogs bred for purpose throughout the generations nature will often play a far bigger part than nurture.

Exactly Dan, yes different breeds have different 'properties' but I believe upbringing plays more part in temperament than genetics

Thats as may be in dogs bred with no purpose..........but dogs bred for purpose throughout the generations nature will often play a far bigger part than nurture.

So why is it then that the dog men on here buy lurchers or terriers from working lines then after a season pts because it hadn't made the mark?

Gnasher, from some of your previous posts I suspect that you know an awful lot more about pits and their crosses than I do. Just interested in your opinion, do you think that they can be trusted in a family situation or do you think that their inherent game drive is just too intense. I think your previous comment was well put, about all bull breeds being labelled together. Having said that I do agree with the deed not breed principle. It would be good to get a straight from the hip opinion from someone who "knows" the breed :thumbs:

I know that wasn't aimed at me however I am from Liverpool originally and there is hundreds of pits there and I know a lot of people who have them and they have lived and died with families and kids without a hiccup. They are bred to protect people they pose no threat in family life if raised correctly they are just another dog. Breed is completely irrelevant! There are tiger cubs born from a wild feral tiger but the cub is raised in captivity and can't be released because its too friendly. Its the same with dogs, raise it right and you'll have a loving family member regardless of breed!

:thumbs: Many thanks for the reply, I personally don't believe in the extermination of any breed, it just goes against the grain for me. As you say, deed not breed :thumbs:

Huan72 i probably have a bit of a bias view as i admire the working ability of a pit bull far more than the pet side so i might not be the best person to ask.....i never kept them indoors around kids they were in kennels/runs as were anyone elses i knew who admired the breed like i did.......i know and can fully accept some of them make great house dogs and are as reliable as any other breed around kids,they can have enough intelligence and self confidence not to get worked up like many dogs can..........but......if im perfectly honest i dont think the breed as a whole make good house dogs.....there are just too many pressures within the family home that the inbuilt drive and desire to let off steam in whatever form that takes thats within these dogs is just too much in my opinion............now im talking about pure bred American Pit Bull Terriers not crosses.....i cant say for crosses as ive never owned one...........but the majority of the Pit Bulls that came here were relatively close up historically to active sporting dogs that were doing battle within the last few generations.......so that means that urge to compete,that desire for contact was still very strong........over the years they have been here some of that has been bred out due to the pet market.......but like i say it is still up close enough in their background to show itself from time to time..........and while it doesnt necessarily relate directly to aggression towards people.....its pushing the dog to its limits tolerance wise to try to curb hundreds of years of selective instinct.......sorry for the long winded reply i often get carried away when talking bulldogs :D ...but no,in my opinion on the whole they do not make good pet/family dogs.

:thumbs: Many thanks Gnasher for the comprehensive reply, the whole nature/nurture thing...............that's a whole debate in itself :laugh:

I've known a few dogs that were just born bad,good owners,well raised from being pups,well fed and exercised etc

But the dogs were unsafe for anyone to be around for anyone,let alone a child.

All of them bar one had 'bull' in the name of thier breed.

I like the breed too,and of course they're not all like that but has anyone else found this to be the case?

• Like 2

So why is it then that the dog men on here buy lurchers or terriers from working lines then after a season pts because it hadn't made the mark?

Because nature doesnt build things perfect.......if it was only about the upbringing why bother breeding worker to worker at all.

• Like 1

I've known a few dogs that were just born bad,good owners,well raised from being pups,well fed and exercised etc

But the dogs were unsafe for anyone to be around for anyone,let alone a child.

All of them bar one had 'bull' in the name of thier breed.

I like the breed too,and of course they're not all like that but has anyone else found this to be the case?

And got the scars to prove it !.............The term " theres no bad dogs just bad owners "......has to be the most stupidly naive phrase anyone could ever of come up with !.......Anything born of nature has the ability to be born good......or bad...........physical or mental.

• Like 2