Bull Type Dogs

I've known a few dogs that were just born bad,good owners,well raised from being pups,well fed and exercised etc

But the dogs were unsafe for anyone to be around for anyone,let alone a child.

All of them bar one had 'bull' in the name of thier breed.

I like the breed too,and of course they're not all like that but has anyone else found this to be the case?

And got the scars to prove it !.............The term " theres no bad dogs just bad owners "......has to be the most stupidly naive phrase anyone could ever of come up with !.......Anything born of nature has the ability to be born good......or bad...........physical or mental.

So have I mate,but just to contradict myself mine are from a giant schnauzer lol

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's been a lot of debate in the news recently about how to tackle the growing problem of children being attacked by 'fighting dogs' such as Bull Terriers, which are often owned by Chavs who use th

No dog should be 100% trusted around kids, some serious shit gets waffles on this site, don't you flooking think everybody that owned the dogs that have killed or just bit children thought there dogs

As regards bulldogs i always felt it was a case of " instinct will get him there but gameness will keep him there "   I must admit when i first took an interest in hunting maybe 7 or 8 years ago i f

Posted Images

So a dog not from working lines can't be trained to work?

Of course it can........but common sense tells you dogs bred for work are likely to produce more and better than dogs bred to sit on the sofa.

I disagree but I respect your opinion as I'm sure you respect mine

So a dog not from working lines can't be trained to work?

Of course it can........but common sense tells you dogs bred for work are likely to produce more and better than dogs bred to sit on the sofa.

I disagree but I respect your opinion as I'm sure you respect mine

If your trying to say genetic inherritance stands for nothing in a working animal...............theres an old saying i like " i cannot be a fool to my own intelligence "....so no sorry i cant respect your opinion......listen to it yes,respect it no.

Exactly Dan, yes different breeds have different 'properties' but I believe upbringing plays more part in temperament than genetics

Thats as may be in dogs bred with no purpose..........but dogs bred for purpose throughout the generations nature will often play a far bigger part than nurture.

Enjoying reading your views Gnash :thumbs: The above post contradicts the earlier one about todays staffs being far removed from the more driven type of yesteryear,is this more a reference to the pits?cheers Dave

I've known a few dogs that were just born bad,good owners,well raised from being pups,well fed and exercised etc

But the dogs were unsafe for anyone to be around for anyone,let alone a child.

All of them bar one had 'bull' in the name of thier breed.

I like the breed too,and of course they're not all like that but has anyone else found this to be the case?

The only breeds of dog I would absolutely never trust are Rotties and Ridgebacks,spent a lot of time around Rotties for a good few years...seen too many placid/calm animals flip in an instant with very little or no reason whatsoever,Ridgebacks ...spent time around a couple,both different owners,both had family members seriously injured by them,leading to being PTS...Ive been nailed by an Alsation (story for another day :whistling: ) and a staff (my own fault...sneaked up on its owner whilst night fishing (my best mate)jumped out the bushes and the dog briefly gripped me before realising it was me and letting go :laugh: )

Exactly Dan, yes different breeds have different 'properties' but I believe upbringing plays more part in temperament than genetics

Thats as may be in dogs bred with no purpose..........but dogs bred for purpose throughout the generations nature will often play a far bigger part than nurture.

So why is it then that the dog men on here buy lurchers or terriers from working lines then after a season pts because it hadn't made the mark?

Not dog men!

Wether you breed worker to worker, or pet to pet, you are trying to stack the odds in your favour. It doesn't mean that one cannot be the other, and vice versa.

Do bull breeds make good pets? Then hell yes! If they don't, could it end up messy? Hell yes!

I've had a fair bit to with rescue dogs over the last 30 years. But I would in no scenario recommend putting a 10 stone plus mastiff (rescue or otherwise) with a toddler. It's a shame common sense is such a rare thing

• Like 3

I wouldn't any rescue dog full stop with any child to be honest. Bull mastiff, pitbul, staff, rottie, labrador pug any breed. Wouldn't rehome anything over 12weeks old with children to be honest

I wouldnt trust any dog with kids 100 % even if i'd had it since it whelped. But the bigger the dog, and/or the more reactive/powerful its nature, the more cautious I would be. If I had kids (cannot stand the buggers!) I wouldnt keep some of the dogs I do now, and they sure as hell wouldnt be in the house

But at least from 12 weeks old they can be raised with children and raised to what the owner beleives is acceptable. The owner will then no full well he/she can trust that dog as much as possible with their children/family. Like me naturally I trust my dogs over anyone elses as I know how they have been raised. I'm not saying anything negative about other peoples dogs its just with my dogs I know and trust howw they've been raised.