Hancock Pups

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are a defence lawyer you defend people, if you are a builder you build houses - David Hancock is a commercial lurcher breeder so he breeds lurchers - if you couldn't defend or build for shit yo

i bought my first "Hancock dog" off David 20 odd years ago, she was a "real un". ille remember that little first cross bitch till the day i die, for all the right reasons.she would be one of my top 3

I've found with collie types is that they don't suit everybody and when they don't work out then its the dog that invariably gets the blame, thats why a lot of folks say collie x's are this and that w

Posted Images

WOULD also say rufus was bred ,and bred very well . atb bunnys,

:yes:@ Bunnys...

Don't quote me on this, as I may have got my facts slightly wrong, but I think that the line that Rufus was from was related to the line that the collie which Dave Sleight used for his early kelpie/collie crosses i.e. Gem and Purdey was from. If my facts are right then I believe they're related to the chocolate and white collie called Moss which Daergi wrote an article about in the Shooting News.

Going back about 20 years I had a job interview in sheffield with a lady who owned several pet border collies, used to do agility with them, sleight used to use her collies to stud his bitches.

I've seen joe777's young dog. I wouldn't personally go and buy a pup off Hancock. But i would own Joe's dog, he is a real cracker and when it all clicks in his head, I think he has the potential to be a proper all rounder.

As bunny dogs. . . . . a man who has had a good few collie x's and other x's once said . . . . If you can't get a collie x catching rabbits ., . . . . . you have a problem. And i think he's right, in that most litters bred out of a grey and a farm collie should be able and willing to catch rabbits. It's hardly rocket science. Even my whippet can do it.

I used to visit DB Plummers quite a bit with Eddie Metcalf (and yes I hunted with Brian and yes he did hunt)! He had some great collies (Bearded) He gave some of his best stock to Mr Hancock,When you buy a dog of David Hancock, you get a pedigree, and who now breeds working dogs. Greyhounds, working, well Coursing is now banned, bullxgrehound (how many bull crosses are bred from fighting bulls?) (NONE), Bedlingtons, working, NO, NONE, If you buy a pup from David Hancock at least you know what you are getting.

have a picked this up wrong ur saying when u buy from hancock ur get a pedigree lurcher ? a lurcher is a crossbreed not pedigree

is a pedigree not just a list of dogs parentes grand parents.a family tree the diffrence being when they register with kennel club like with labs spaniels etc so really you do get a pedigree of your pup when you buy it {a family tree} correct me if i am wrong

yes his collies that he uses might be pedigree but his pups that he breeds are not

@ theworkingferret. You're wrong. Pedigree just means a list of what the dog is bred from. What you mean by pedigree is a dog with a KENNEL CLUB pedigree. This means nothing in working dog terms. Most of the top working collies aren't registered with the Kennel club at all so in your eyes they aren't "pedigree" but they're non the worse for that.

All dogs have a pedigree, it's just that most of the time no-one knows what it is.

how am i wrong his pups and any other lurchers are not a peddigree breed all lurchers are crossbreeds mungrels call them what u want

I used to visit DB Plummers quite a bit with Eddie Metcalf (and yes I hunted with Brian and yes he did hunt)! He had some great collies (Bearded) He gave some of his best stock to Mr Hancock,When you buy a dog of David Hancock, you get a pedigree, and who now breeds working dogs. Greyhounds, working, well Coursing is now banned, bullxgrehound (how many bull crosses are bred from fighting bulls?) (NONE), Bedlingtons, working, NO, NONE, If you buy a pup from David Hancock at least you know what you are getting.

have a picked this up wrong ur saying when u buy from hancock ur get a pedigree lurcher ? a lurcher is a crossbreed not pedigree

is a pedigree not just a list of dogs parentes grand parents.a family tree the diffrence being when they register with kennel club like with labs spaniels etc so really you do get a pedigree of your pup when you buy it {a family tree} correct me if i am wrong

yes his collies that he uses might be pedigree but his pups that he breeds are not

@ theworkingferret. You're wrong. Pedigree just means a list of what the dog is bred from. What you mean by pedigree is a dog with a KENNEL CLUB pedigree. This means nothing in working dog terms. Most of the top working collies aren't registered with the Kennel club at all so in your eyes they aren't "pedigree" but they're non the worse for that.

All dogs have a pedigree, it's just that most of the time no-one knows what it is.

how am i wrong his pups and any other lurchers are not a peddigree breed all lurchers are crossbreeds mungrels call them what u want

A pedigree just shows how something is bred wether pure or not, you are getting mixed up with people using the term pedigree for kc reg dogs
  • Like 1

Why is it such an issue that hancock breeds collie lurchers commercially ? . I do what I do , and look to maximise my return at every opportunity ( I try and maintain an ethical stance in doing so ) . Greyhounds are raced and bred and the breeders are in it to make money , they also get a buzz in breeding good dogs . the farmer keeps the Collie , to work the sheep so that he can make money from sheep . People write books , magazine articles sell hunting products etc to make money . It's all a bit hypocritical really . I admire any man that works hard and looks to keep his family from his own endeavours . I do not admire the layabout or the sponger .

As long as the animals are well fed and looked after , I really don't see why everyone gets so animated .in reality , the best lurcher trainers on this forum receiving a hancock pup from 8 weeks old , should end up with a reasonable dog - there will be exceptions , but poor dogs exist from lurcher to lurcher matings as well.

The anti hancock garb is really rather silly and unscientific . If they do not suit or the collie is not what you want , why try and destroy the guys business .Just don't buy one !!!

I'll refer to greyhounds once again . Greyhounds are graded from 10 down to 1 , 10 being the slowest . After 1 , the dogs become open class - these are generally the best . I was once told that the chance of getting an open pup was very rare , perhaps 30 to 1 . Therefore in breeding lurchers , are we expecting too much that all pups should be great workers !

I have no axe to grind or the desire to promote anyone . I did buy a hancock lurcher some 20 years ago , Barry sharp also had his litter brother , both were difficult dogs , both were from Rufus I believe . Highly intelligent , but with poor temperament . A friend had a beardie cross , which was excellent . It could have been me , but to then judge all Hancock lurchers on these , would be unfair . I am sure that many lurchermen had good Rufus lurchers .

Kind regards

A pedigree just shows how something is bred wether pure or not, you are getting mixed up with people using the term pedigree for kc reg dogs

spot on mate ive picked it up wrong i thought thats what was being said that hancock breeds kc dogs sorry fellas

its apitty they werent when you was afta one , because what is a half xs but not quite a half xs with alittle touch more grey back ta a grey possibly any combination of collie xs straight almost imediately grey some hidden with abit of coat , i am afraid that genes for yas . atb bunnys.

Seen a very nice farm bred litter of collie x greys today. Sire, leggy, working hill collie, dam, collie lurcher, over 3/4 grey, ten years old, very nice beast. £100 quid. So they are out there.

? collie lurcher ? 3/4 grey presume you mean thats 1/4 collie

Collie put over a 3/4 bred I think he means bud :thumbs:

Seen a very nice farm bred litter of collie x greys today. Sire, leggy, working hill collie, dam, collie lurcher, over 3/4 grey, ten years old, very nice beast. £100 quid. So they are out there.

the parents of the dam were grey x 3/4 grey 1/4 collie and the dam was put to collie so they work out around 5/8 collie 3/8 grey, they're a cracking litter and shoulkd make cracking mooching/ferreting/hunt up curs. :thumbs:

• Like 1

the parents of the dam were grey x 3/4 grey 1/4 collie and the dam was put to collie so they work out around 5/8 collie 3/8 grey, they're a cracking litter and shoulkd make cracking mooching/ferreting/hunt up curs. :thumbs:

So the dam is 7/8 greyhound 1/8 collie