Hancock Pups

If you are a defence lawyer you defend people, if you are a builder you build houses - David Hancock is a commercial lurcher breeder so he breeds lurchers - if you couldn't defend or build for shit you'll be out of work!!! That's generally how it works. :yes:

Hancock has been a commercial breeder - something he has no trouble talking about - for over 30 years and is still in the game...so my way of thinking is he must be doing something right and must be producing a product that there is a demand for. :thumbs:

Make no mistake if everything he bred was shit - as is claimed by many - he'da been out the game years ago...I know many decent dog lads who have been back time and time again and simply wouldn't have done so if they weren't happy with their pups.

At any one time he has upwards of 50 greyhound bitches - and perhaps a dozen stud dogs - does he work them? Of course he doesn't - he once broke it down for me and explained why he wouldn't work a stud dog and it was simple economics. The dog is too valuable to lose...he's in it for pounds, shillings and pence...simple. Many may not agree but it's a fact....If Hancock has - for example - 10 litters from X stud dog in a year and the feedback was poor he wouldn't use it and wouldn't get away with using it as word of mouth matters and folk would give that line a wide berth and he'd be left with the pups...

Top and bottom is Hancock is an emotive subject - the Marmite of the lurcher world - you either like him or you don't...no one polarises opinion more... :laugh::cray:

One a personal note I have had 4 Hancocks now, first one away back in time...he was a 3/4 bred Taffy pup...very good fox dog and fabulously athletic...I also had a Richard Jones first x - sadly didn't make old bones but was a formidable lamping dog...a Kubla 3/4 bred who was killed in action when he was 15 months and I currently have a first x Alex pup who's 2 years old next week...brave, athletic, obsessive prey drive and a nose that wouldn't be outa place on a hound...and I have another coming next week...a Kubla pup...had a lot of fun and adventure with my collie xs - maybe they suit my nature...can't fault em!!!!

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gifjones.jpg

attachicon.gif3 (2).jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0029.JPG

Good sensible post :thumbs: . I had a dog bred from taffy out of a mongrelly, but very greyoundy bitch, many years ago, not a great rabbit dog, never used to do much in the way of rabbits then really, but he was VERY effective on everything else I used him for. Very fast and powerful dog :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are a defence lawyer you defend people, if you are a builder you build houses - David Hancock is a commercial lurcher breeder so he breeds lurchers - if you couldn't defend or build for shit yo

i bought my first "Hancock dog" off David 20 odd years ago, she was a "real un". ille remember that little first cross bitch till the day i die, for all the right reasons.she would be one of my top 3

I've found with collie types is that they don't suit everybody and when they don't work out then its the dog that invariably gets the blame, thats why a lot of folks say collie x's are this and that w

Posted Images

As above. About £250 a pup. Think black ones are cheaper. £200.

Only collie/greys though.

why are black ones cheaper :hmm:

Black ones according to David H aren't as popular as other colours - so, they are 20 quid or so cheaper...why colour would matter is beyond me...he often gets left with blacks...new pup coming next week...oh yes, it's a black one... :hmm:

• Like 1

As above. About £250 a pup. Think black ones are cheaper. £200.

Only collie/greys though.

why are black ones cheaper :hmm:

coz everyone want a merle or a broken coated or a

broken coated merle. tis a long time since the days

of the ford model t,when you could have any colour

you wanted as long as it was black :D

here are two picks of dogs i have been out with witch come from Hancock s..alb

080.jpg

2011_03163day0018.jpg

Like the look of the dog in the top pic, no offence to the other. :D

none taken they lads dogs that i have been out with both breed different but both put game in the bag..

this is a great thread but cana help but think its there ta see lots from the past not much present enlighten can we be pleased be enlightened on the present . thanks folks . atbbunnys.

Not all from the past - got one now that I a more than happy with and have another coming...not easy not to look into the past when the man has been in business for more that 30 years...hopefully if my beardie/border first x continues the way he's going (he's 2 next week) I'll breed a litter of 3/4 breds with him...never bred a litter of lurchers so that'll be a first for me!!!! I have a cracking irish bred coursing greyhound here - handy bitch too - so fingers xed one day in the future I'll be able to breed one of my own... :thumbs:

• Like 3

this is a great thread but cana help but think its there ta see lots from the past not much present enlighten can we be pleased be enlightened on the present . thanks folks . atbbunnys.

Not all from the past - got one now that I a more than happy with and have another coming...not easy not to look into the past when the man has been in business for more that 30 years...hopefully if my beardie/border first x continues the way he's going (he's 2 next week) I'll breed a litter of 3/4 breds with him...never bred a litter of lurchers so that'll be a first for me!!!! I have a cracking irish bred coursing greyhound here - handy bitch too - so fingers xed one day in the future I'll be able to breed one of my own... :thumbs:

:thumbs:

i imagine there are lots of lurchers out there that have a bit of collie greyhound in them from hancocks, i own a deerhound collie greyhound, the collie in her is out of a hancock dog somewhere down the line,

i know a guy who has collie based lurchers, there were out of romulus? (spelling may be wrong but someone will correct me) now in my eyes his dogs are fantastic, they get out and see stuff nearly everyday, i think half the people who slag hancock dogs off dont have any first hand experience of them, and just read whats posted on the internet and believe it to be true,

• Like 2

I used to visit DB Plummers quite a bit with Eddie Metcalf (and yes I hunted with Brian and yes he did hunt)! He had some great collies (Bearded) He gave some of his best stock to Mr Hancock, When you buy a dog of David Hancock, you get a pedigree, and who now breeds working dogs. Greyhounds, working, well Coursing is now banned, bullxgrehound (how many bull crosses are bred from fighting bulls?) (NONE), Bedlingtons, working, NO, NONE, If you buy a pup from David Hancock at least you know what you are getting.