English Bull Terriers

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a couple of pics, too many, sorry. i owned the brindle bitch. The white dog is my brothers, thunder rock bred and everything a bullie shod be. Both were 100% driven and capable. I know the breed

Without wishing to offend..........why would somebody called " working bull and terrier " be so bothered about " a straighter profile " and importing one " that looks like those " and be calling dogs

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the y

Posted Images

8 hours ago, YOKEL said:

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the years, ebt/sbt/apbt. and i can safely say, i.m.o. ebt's were the least trustworthy of the bunch. give me a nice little staff or a good american dog any day of the week...

Yokel

received_601010077499485.jpeg

Out of likes ?

Fine looking dog 

Atb j 

• Like 1
On 02/08/2020 at 09:32, YOKEL said:

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the years, ebt/sbt/apbt. and i can safely say, i.m.o. ebt's were the least trustworthy of the bunch. give me a nice little staff or a good american dog any day of the week...

Yokel

received_601010077499485.jpeg

Was he worked . Hes in fine fetal 

17 hours ago, The drover said:

Was he worked . Hes in fine fetal 

He was started but didn't live long enough to reach any potential he may or may not have had. i had him destroyed at around the 2yr mark. he was the maniest dog I've come across, an absolute liability around anyone. couple that with the fact i was young and greener than all the fields around me, it was the right decision to make at that time...

Yokel

44 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

He was started but didn't live long enough to reach any potential he may or may not have had. i had him destroyed at around the 2yr mark. he was the maniest dog I've come across, an absolute liability around anyone. couple that with the fact i was young and greener than all the fields around me, it was the right decision to make at that time...

Yokel

was x to a staff  or apbt ?   as you said mate , the ebt deff   got  worst temp , a  pit or staff far more stable  temp,  i know you can get few man biters  in bulldogs, but on big average  pits are good with people , suppose you get the odd nasty staff, but both pits and staffs norm dont make very good guard dogs , ours were daft as brush with people . the most nastiest dog ive ever had was lurcher  kelpiex collie x grey bitch , only 23 in 50 odd lb , very strong animal, but very dangerous with people and dogs, get to close to me she bite them , great with me but nobody else  , put her down at 2 year old she went for my son and wife, bad news   are nasty dogs  deff .

17 minutes ago, bird said:

was x to a staff  or apbt ?   as you said mate , the ebt deff   got  worst temp , a  pit or staff far more stable  temp,  i know you can get few man biters  in bulldogs, but on big average  pits are good with people , suppose you get the odd nasty staff, but both pits and staffs norm dont make very good guard dogs , ours were daft as brush with people . the most nastiest dog ive ever had was lurcher  kelpiex collie x grey bitch , only 23 in 50 odd lb , very strong animal, but very dangerous with people and dogs, get to close to me she bite them , great with me but nobody else  , put her down at 2 year old she went for my son and wife, bad news   are nasty dogs  deff .

Stafford. Son of CP's Milo...

Yokel.

RAT BAITING

The prohibition on animal fightings of 1835 didn't include rat baiting or ratting. So ratting increased popularity as a gambling sport and rat pits appeared everywhere. At one time London counted about 70 rat pits.

Wentworth Day, a devotee of the rat baiting game wrote in the 19th century:

"This was a rather dirty, small place, in the middle of the Cambridge Circus, London. You went down a rotten wooden stair and entered a large, underground cellar, which was created by combining the cellars of two houses. The cellar was full of smoke, stench of rats, dogs and dirty human beings as well. The stale smell of flat beer was almost overpowering. Gas lights illuminated the centre of the cellar, a ring enclosed by wood barriers, similar to a small Roman circus arena and wooden bleachers, arranged one over the other, rose stepwise above it nearly to the ceiling. This was the pit for dog fights, cockfights and rat killing. A hundred rats were put in it, large wagers went back and forth on whose dog could kill the most rats within a minute. The dogs worked in exemplary fashion, a grip, a toss and it was all over for the rat. With especially skilful dogs, two dead rats flew through the air at the same time..."

Generally, small dogs were considered better for the game...Manchester Terrier, Old english White, fox Terrier but also small Bull & Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Bull Terriers were used.

The winner was the dog who could kill the most rats as quick as possible. Don't underestimate rats, when threatened, they fight. A dog with just one eye, caused by rats was not exceptional. the rats for the fight were delivered by a so-called 'rat catcher'. Around 1850, a famous rat catcher was Jack Black...The rats were his living but also caused almost his death on several occasions. Not surprisingly, he also was a succesfull dogbreeder of Black and Tan Terriers and his strain of rat fighting dogs were famous around London.

The most famous rat fighting dog was a Bull & Terrier named Billy (weight, ca 12 kg), owned by Charles Dew and bred by James Yardington...a quality dog with a quality pedigree. 

Some results out of Billy's career:
1822 - 100 rats in 7 minutes and 17 seconds 
1822 - 100 rats in 6 minutes and 25 seconds
1823 - 100 rats in 5 minutes and 30 seconds
1823 - 120 rats in 8 minutes and 20 seconds

April 22, 1823, Billy set a world record by killing 100 rats in only 5 minutes and 30 seconds. Just in 1862 a new record was set by a small Bull & Terrier named Jacko (ca 6,5 kg), owned by Jemmy Shaw, a breeder of Bull Terriers, Bulldogs and Toy Terriers. Jacko killed 100 rats in 5 minutes and 28 seconds..only 2 seconds faster than Billy.

Later that year he killed 60 rats in 2 minutes and 42 seconds (2,7 seconds per rat while the old record was 3,3 seconds per rat)
The last known public rat baiting event was in Leicester, East Midlands in 1912.

An nice article I found last night 

Atb j 

• Like 5
21 hours ago, YOKEL said:

Yokel

Fair play to you buddy . You did the right thing   the pures in general ar a bit dumb n who knows,  maybe it was the mix that didnt click with that dog ? . Mine was over 14 and pts 2 weeks back . Great animal tbh . Terrible around stock . Really good with dogs if not challenged.  People can only give it their best shot at reviving a great dog to former glories.  I think the pit has a fair bit to play in that going forward.  But as has been said   if you haven't owned a pure you dont understand how they get under your skin . And cant really compare when people haven't owned one . Your x breed was certainly the proper stamp . Beautiful beast ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The drover said:

Fair play to you buddy . You did the right thing   the pures in general ar a bit dumb n who knows,  maybe it was the mix that didnt click with that dog ? . Mine was over 14 and pts 2 weeks back . Great animal tbh . Terrible around stock . Really good with dogs if not challenged.  People can only give it their best shot at reviving a great dog to former glories.  I think the pit has a fair bit to play in that going forward.  But as has been said   if you haven't owned a pure you dont understand how they get under your skin . And cant really compare when people haven't owned one . Your x breed was certainly the proper stamp . Beautiful beast ?

Aye, to be fair, I've owned more American dogs than any of the other bull n terriers, but my opinion of the e.b.t wasn't formed solely on a x breed I owned nearly 30yrs ago, that would just be daft. I've seen a few individuals, all pure, that were just plain iffy to be around. But it is only my opinion, no more, no less, and if you get on with them, crack on. I had more than one American dog that you had to be on your toes around, but their working qualities were good enough and my circumstances different for me to put up with it. I s'pose I think of it like this, if you have a dog that has years of history of being bred for performance and works to a decent standard, I'll let a few bad manners pass. But if you have a grumpy old b*****d who comes from a breed that was created for nothing other than to look good at the end of a lead, well, it's a no brainer really...a.t.b...

Yokel

3 hours ago, YOKEL said:

Aye, to be fair, I've owned more American dogs than any of the other bull n terriers, but my opinion of the e.b.t wasn't formed solely on a x breed I owned nearly 30yrs ago, that would just be daft. I've seen a few individuals, all pure, that were just plain iffy to be around. But it is only my opinion, no more, no less, and if you get on with them, crack on. I had more than one American dog that you had to be on your toes around, but their working qualities were good enough and my circumstances different for me to put up with it. I s'pose I think of it like this, if you have a dog that has years of history of being bred for performance and works to a decent standard, I'll let a few bad manners pass. But if you have a grumpy old b*****d who comes from a breed that was created for nothing other than to look good at the end of a lead, well, it's a no brainer really...a.t.b...

Yokel

Totally agree buddy . But I'm not purely talking about working . Mine never seen owt to talk about . But as a guard and a companion.  Couldn't be beaten imo . As I said before yokel,  they are certainly a master of nothing but can be a jack of all trades ?this old boy never set a foot wrong with people or dogs

IMG-20200806-WA0036.jpg

• Like 5