MINSHAW .....

• 1 month later...

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to the thread,,,I know most have seen the pic befor,,,but possibly not tree hands ....   Venus ,,half minshaw,,half coursing dog,,,littler sister to swift,,the black and white bitch fran

I wasn't ever going to comment on this thread ever , I wasn't prepared to say anything about the breed or the men although I've seen a few run and know a lot of the men mentioned including victor gh

I did manage to find a single photograph all be it not a great one. Can't really remember the night but the blue bitch in the picture belonged to my old mate from Workington.   The Handsome guy in

Posted Images

They are what they are..just a lurcher at the end of the day,some shit & some good,some were exceptional,they were purpose bred lamp dogs capable of running & catching big hauls of gear almost every night..there was/is no doubt dogs of their equal out there for night time hunting,if you're one of the few who has had or has one of those then in my opinion make good of what you have because such dogs don't come around to often..i was a hardcore lamping man for over 30 years out lamping big numbers 4/5 times per week weather permitting & my own Minshaw bred dogs served me well,they weren't flashy in looks or running style but they put gear in the bag & lots of it..like i said they are just lurchers nothing more & nothing less but with engines in them capable of repetitive running night after night unlike any other type ive ever personally witnessed ?

• Like 9

saw dogs running nite after nite on roe hare they were not , minshaws , just strong saluki lurchers and an old collie lurcher type , put some gear away , on the large arable feilds , some [BANNED TEXT] big chases large slips , but alas the law makes things difficult now to do it ,driving land, walking land, road siding whatever was quickest to get the run and away , if there bred [BANNED TEXT] and really fit suprising what a good dog can do ,

• Like 1

All i can say is that they , float my boat , and still do. The feet on Stan I put down to bull influence, a big dog takes some stopping an his feet suffered. However, I have gone back to the "well" and , am more than pleased with my present two.

• Like 6

saw dogs running nite after nite on roe hare they were not , minshaws , just strong saluki lurchers and an old collie lurcher type , put some gear away , on the large arable feilds , some [bANNED TEXT] big chases large slips , but alas the law makes things difficult now to do it ,driving land, walking land, road siding whatever was quickest to get the run and away , if there bred [bANNED TEXT] and really fit suprising what a good dog can do ,

Like i said there will be dogs of their equal and even better Matty,ive personally not seen their equal but that doesn't mean there isn't ?

.the Saluki types i own and the one's i seen run couldn't,wouldn't & never will be in the same league as them & that's the gods honest truth..just one dog i owned and he wasn't the best in his 18 best nights he killed over 400 hares,i ain't heard of a Saluki or any other type match such a feat have you? Like i said that dog wasn't my best,i gave him away to my brother lol

saw dogs running nite after nite on roe hare they were not , minshaws , just strong saluki lurchers and an old collie lurcher type , put some gear away , on the large arable feilds , some [bANNED TEXT] big chases large slips , but alas the law makes things difficult now to do it ,driving land, walking land, road siding whatever was quickest to get the run and away , if there bred [bANNED TEXT] and really fit suprising what a good dog can do ,

Like i said there will be dogs of their equal and even better Matty,ive personally not seen their equal but that doesn't mean there isn't

.the Saluki types i own and the one's i seen run couldn't,wouldn't & never will be in the same league as them & that's the gods honest truth..just one dog i owned and he wasn't the best in his 18 best nights he killed over 400 hares,i ain't heard of a Saluki or any other type match such a feat have you? Like i said that dog wasn't my best,i gave him away to my brother lol

them are some numbers sir, it sounds like you have lived your life around these humble mutts mate! fair play to you! id be lucky to see that amount of hares in a lifetime

atb

• Like 1

Fuji going back many years would that have been you boys in the then Shooting News with big rabbit and hare bags? Dogs looked very monga like lol. There was more hares then than now for sure can mind seeing 30s in fields wi lamp in some spots. Lamping in its infancy back then. The keepers not long after that era started shooting massive numbers at night. Remember going to one place and see couple hundred hung up awaiting game dealer. My heart sunk all I could think was what a waste of all that sport. Does anyone know if the big daytime hare drives still take place?