venison lurchers.

How did you used to stop dogs hunting on after bambi if they ran it out of the beam?

ATB JB

Always been illegal to run bambi in beam mate

Ok, When ya wearing a balaclava....how do you stop dogs hunting on after bambi when running it out the beam? ha.

same way you stop a dog running rabbits when its not in the beam you turn off and the dog comes back doesn't it?

Once a dog gets a taste for catching deer it'll usually keep going as long as it can see (in moonlight), hear or sometimes even smell it. They won't whistle back as easy as with rabbits.

It can cause a few situations, both day and night.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 8

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not being funny, but surely anyone who's done enough lambing, especially bigger stuff, but even rabbits, will have had a dog catch out of the beam plenty of times. Granted, most bunny in flat fields w

There was deer & then there was DEER..90% of lurchers were capable of the smaller varieties yet only 10% would of been capable of the bigger types,single handed of course I'm talking here..All hyp

Rutting fallow,lot of power in these things,just been watching a fight that went on for 3 minutes from a distance of 10 feet sometimes.    

Posted Images

How did you used to stop dogs hunting on after bambi if they ran it out of the beam?

ATB JB

Ok, When ya wearing a balaclava....how do you stop dogs hunting on after bambi when running it out the beam? ha.

same way you stop a dog running rabbits when its not in the beam you turn off and the dog comes back doesn't it?

I fecking hope not. . . that would be rather upsetting. . . .

• Like 1

ATB JB

Not to my knowledge, Rabbits 9 times out of 10 usually are down a hole once the dog's missed so he trots back. Never seen a fallow manage that trick yet !

Never had a dog i could call off deer they seem to have a natural affinity with the bloody things. Atb

Running dogs natural quarry

Everey lurcher I've had has literally pulled my shoulder from it's socket if there was a deer up in front, before I even put the lamp on, so I knew what was there, when I used to lamp regularly, pre ban and all that lol :thumbs:

• Like 1

Never had a dog i could call off deer they seem to have a natural affinity with the bloody things. Atb

Running dogs natural quarry

Everey lurcher I've had has literally pulled my shoulder from it's socket if there was a deer up in front, before I even put the lamp on, so I knew what was there, when I used to lamp regularly, pre ban and all that lol :thumbs:

Tbh most Bull crosses I've ever seen worked when out in a motor have been like caged Lions when out lamping.

ATB JB

not for me pal I find a dog running around in the dark on its own more so upsetting.

ATB JB

Not to my knowledge, Rabbits 9 times out of 10 usually are down a hole once the dog's missed so he trots back. Never seen a fallow manage that trick yet !

what was your dog doing then mate? crashing through woods on it own like a manic chasing deer round on its own agenda?

ATB JB

what was your dog doing then mate? crashing through woods on it own like a manic chasing deer round on its own agenda?

haha something along those lines mate, hard to know when they're out of sight !

• Like 1

ATB JB

haha something along those lines mate, hard to know when they're out of sight !

I do know what your saying pal they are big animals and crash around a bit.

ATB JB

not for me pal I find a dog running around in the dark on its own more so upsetting.

Not being funny, but surely anyone who's done enough lambing, especially bigger stuff, but even rabbits, will have had a dog catch out of the beam plenty of times. Granted, most bunny in flat fields will hit the hedge or fence, but on rough ground even they will take a dog out of the beam on a contour, or round a hedge or wall or some cover, and a lot of good dogs will push on and catch if they are close enough.

With bigger stuff, like fox, deer etc, a dog isn't blind at night, if its up its arse and it goes over the brow, into the woods, through a hedge etc, it shouldn't just pull up, it should at least have a go, but have the brains to know when its lost and not to fanny about all night.

Theres a difference between hunting up and running on out of the beam for me. :thumbs:

• Like 14