for the alaunt guys

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jai, these days the 'experts' knock folks pictures and run you down... Most of the threads go to shit??

Go and look through threads from ten years ago and it’s like a different world on here. Folk who actually have done a bunch of hunting, having interesting discussions, and arguments about dogs and hun

I think a lot use to hunt but don't now and come on here for the crack which is what the general section is for. End of the day it's an,internet forum not worth losing sleep over ladies ??

Posted Images

I think the problem for most on here that don't understand coyotes is that they are small WOLVES, not big fox. They are such great quarry because they are as fast or faster than hares, and when caught they are punishing opponents. Like Dan has said over and over, as has many old coyote hunters that have caught more coyotes than me and Dan combined, the best coyote dogs pin them and kill them using their size and strength to subdue them. It sounds like most of the shakers on here are trying to think in terms of a pit dog besting an opponent or killing a cat. My Saker dog would pick foxes up and literaly give them a shake or two and they would be dead, many have seen it in person or on video. But on a coyotes he would use his size and power to push them down and squeeze the life out of them, he knew the difference and did what he was bred to do for the last hundred years. His father Jake did the same thing so quickly it was scary, that is why I bred to him.

Also, try to understand the mindset of most coyote hunters, this is varmint control, day after day during the fall and winter months. For a lot, it is about reducing pest numbers, not just "one dog one slip fairplay to all" attitude taken by most casual hunters (me included), they want dead coyotes on the truck, not dogs gametested over and over and over again. Many of the top men get 80. 100, 120 coyotes a season. You aren't going to do that using a few dogs singlehanded. In my youth, men like Bob Shifflet and Dee Brdar were my heroes. They were coyote spotters, outthinkers and killers. Dee had hunted wolves with these very same type of dogs and even he said it was only possible when brave dogs would throat or ear the wolf and the hunter would help finish. Good dogs could CONTROL a larger stronger animal much like the picture of these Bull x stags on a bigger, stronger hog.

(Please forgive me using my pic off my other thread, I'm just trying to illustrate a point)

post-212-1254449135.jpg

Edited by badger

Do i think Irish Wolfhounds could catch and kill a good wolf----Hell no, not the ones I've seen try to run. Do i think it can be done... If a man had a set of top Staghounds, at least a quartet, and was willing to jump in to help, who knows?

If I had Neil's Jake, Dee's Bigfoot and King Pharoah, Bob's Woody and my Saker in the truck would I dump on a wolf---Damned right I would......fricken damn right.

i tell you what you get some dreamers on hear ,what if this dog that dog ,been going serous hunting since late ninties in the states and ,read afew books like canine and coyotes that mans standard would be roughly todays standard, a dog has to have stamina run fast ,a good coat , powerful , coyotes are not big foxes there small wolves and are TOUGH , and can run the bestt of them will outstrip a dog , go over an hunt with guys before makng an assumption on them ,and the further north in the usa up to fifty pound of meat and teeth . u need good dogs and be in there for them , first coyote i caught with a dog was a young one he still ran well , as well a a dog being tough he has to be brainy and durable , not dive in and see what happens a walking vet bill i cal them ,ive saw maybe a hundred coyote hounds and yet to see anything over here simliar , coyotes dont runlike a rabbit or fox and are alot smarter , some of the coyote hounds have bone and speed and a good natural hunting ability which you can never get breeding a non working dog to another non working dog very easy , thats why they only breed of the best the serous guys any way , dan good photos ive got a few my self ,saw alot of deerhound crosses no breadth of chest thin hocks etc and other types of lurchers the would not last over here , al the best ,only breed to proven dogs and most of the time it works

scotsman, stop talking shit and stick to dropping rabbits off on playing fields for your big dogs. this guy dan knows what hes talking about.
its an oppinion dan has his i have mine just like when you wanted to breed siberian husky x greyhounds did any body say you were talking shite as for the rabbit the dog was a pup i found out later he was plenty fast enough,

a waken the f**k up scotsman tell you what mate your heads full o mince :clapper::clapper::clapper::tongue2::tongue2:

I really need to quit arguing with you guys. I have nothing against any breeds of dogs no matter where they come from. I truely believe that I know what it takes to take coyote consistently. I may be wrong but so far nobody else has came up with a better plan. If you guys want though, anybody is welcome to come over here and put there dogs on them. I will set up the time and will put you right on top of them and will let your dogs attempt to do it from start to finish. If they do it, then great. If they fail, I will show you how it should have been done.
dan most on here wont travel 20 miles to be shown things that would make them think twice or to prove a point to them ,so you got no chance of them turning up over there .

UNFIT SOME TRAVEL ALL OVER MATE ,SOME CANT AFORD IT ,SOME STILL UNDER PARENTAL GUIDANCE ,SOME SCARED TO LEAVE THE SAFETY NET INCASE THEY SEE BETTER DOGS AND THERR WORLD IS SHATTERD, CANT BEAT TRAVELING TO EDUCATE ,BEEN LUCKY IM IN APOSITION AND SMART ENOUGH TO TRAVEL WERE EVER AT CERTAIN TIMES OF YEAR , HAD SEVERAL WELSHES UP ,HUNTING FISHING OVER THE YEARS MATE , YOU ARE [bANNED TEXT] ALOT NOT LEFT WERE THEY STAY AND LIVE A SMALL EXISTENCE ,ITS A SHAME REALY , DAN LOOKS LIKE HE DOES WELL WITH HIS DOGS AND PUTS PICS UP IM LUCKY TO BE IN APOSITION TO DO REAL WELL WITH DOGS BUT BIG SACRAFICES AT TIMES FOR THE CHASE ALL THE BEST TO THOSE THAT AT LEAST TRY

I really need to quit arguing with you guys. I have nothing against any breeds of dogs no matter where they come from. I truely believe that I know what it takes to take coyote consistently. I may be wrong but so far nobody else has came up with a better plan. If you guys want though, anybody is welcome to come over here and put there dogs on them. I will set up the time and will put you right on top of them and will let your dogs attempt to do it from start to finish. If they do it, then great. If they fail, I will show you how it should have been done.
dan most on here wont travel 20 miles to be shown things that would make them think twice or to prove a point to them ,so you got no chance of them turning up over there .

the prob with alot of hunters, they get [kennel blind] if it aint got a big head and weighs 85lb.They dont think it can do the business :wallbash: .Ive had bullxs,colliexs, bitzas, and all did what was asked of them. My old colliex grey [3/8 collie 5/8grey] which i had in 91, smash foxes for fun. He didnt look much but had the[ heart] of a lion :yes: he was 26in 70lb. He was good honest dog, but them [stags] are in a differnt league . To kill yote [30-40]lbs would take alot of doing [solo or double] great dogs :yes:

Blaze my old colliexgrey good old tough dog :notworthy:

blaze.jpg