7 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Im 50 next year mate and far from fit after doing groundwork/civils/building since I was 15.And I have got a kid mate.Ive been bring up my 12year old daughter on my own for 6 years as well as working full time on site.

What’s money mate ? 

You have the respect and love of your child , who will grow up with a father who has sacrificed everything for them . 

fair play to you DS , proper man 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would be working till I drop but have decided to knock it all on the head and start enjoying myself, going to get my motor home this winter and spend a few months travelling round England un

What’s money mate ?  You have the respect and love of your child , who will grow up with a father who has sacrificed everything for them .    fair play to you DS , proper man 

“Defined by my work”….that’s a brilliant and very overlooked observation there mate. I didn’t realise how much a part of my personality my way of earning a living was…….I feel like almost a compl

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

What’s money mate ? 

You have the respect and love of your child , who will grow up with a father who has sacrificed everything for them . 

fair play to you DS , proper man 

I dont see it as a sacrifice mate.Ive had money and flash stuff,travelled,partied,Nice house,Flashy kennels etc and one turn of fate and I walked from it all.I now have an amazing daughter and an amazing supportive girlfriend and graft for everything I have wheras I always grafted but also earned plenty more by other means.Would I change my life now to have my old life back?No Iike things just as they are.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Im 50 next year mate and far from fit after doing groundwork/civils/building since I was 15.And I have got a kid mate.Ive been bringing up my 12year old daughter on my own for 6 years as well as working full time on site.

One thing that sort of work does....is it  wears you out if your a grafter....Im a few yrs behind you...but every winter , I'm feeling it more😔 couldn't keep up with spending all weekend digging to my dogs in the season and punching my gutts out Monday to Friday too... family,work and bills had to come first...

Fair play taking on full custody of your daughter,not every Man is capable of doing that 👍

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

One thing that sort of work does....is it  wears you out if your a grafter....Im a few yrs behind you...but every winter , I'm feeling it more😔 couldn't keep up with spending all weekend digging to my dogs in the season and punching my gutts out Monday to Friday too... family,work and bills had to come first...

Fair play taking on full custody of your daughter,not every Man is capable of doing that 👍

Before lockdown I spent 8years doing civils as a subby for southern gas.Mostly deep ex over hp pipelines,anything within 3metres was hand dig.Thats what really done the damage.My left ankle/knee/hip are all shot through constant stomping on the spade and my left elbow from chucking out.My right hand side feels no different to when I was 20.Any more than half an hour digging now and Im walking round like a spaz for 2 days afterwards.And in an ideal world mygirl would live with her mum and wed hare custody but unfortunately her mum is unwell so I do what needs doing.Ive never had the time of day for blokes that have kids and then dont take care of them especially when you hear them giving it"she wont let me see them".Always makes me think how hard have you actually tried.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, shaaark said:

Do you think you'll be devoting  a bit more time to the big cat projects you're involved with, G?

Massively mate I live in an area rich in sightings  so sitting out all night with a caller going and a more expensive thermal should see some decent results plus I will be at liberty to jump in the motor and go at short notice, I absolutely loved the week I spent in Cumbria last year tracking everything was so much easier got quite a bit of stuff when I was there considering I was just dropped on a mountain I’d never seen before, Have never felt so alive as sat up a mountain after dark with no contact with the outside world no WiFi,phone signal, light pollution or other people 

2D4D580B-2852-4C11-8BFA-689568945C41.jpeg

315DE8BD-409A-4584-868E-6E8A9779566E.jpeg

DAB9C67F-34ED-46C2-9E45-8BC9D19A5A67.jpeg

D663EE30-24DF-458B-99F0-FF10D16EB3B8.jpeg

• Like 8
2 hours ago, downsouth said:

Im 50 next year mate and far from fit after doing groundwork/civils/building since I was 15.And I have got a kid mate.Ive been bringing up my 12year old daughter on my own for 6 years as well as working full time on site.

Stone me fair do's guv.....i had you down as a bit of a dick but couldnt be more wrong,new found respect and all that 😂

Only messing....one of the most impressive things ive seen through life was when years ago my young nephew found himself in the same position....23 year old big good looking lad had the pick of the ladies but overnight his life changed....he stuck to that kids side and showed a type of character that just impressed me so much watching him bring her up over the years....he's 52 now and shes 30 odd all grown up etc.... they have the most beautiful relationship it brings a tear to my eye just watching them together she idolises him.

Good for you mate the rewards will come....again,different type of riches.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Stone me fair do's guv.....i had you down as a bit of a dick but couldnt be more wrong,new found respect and all that 😂

Only messing....one of the most impressive things ive seen through life was when years ago my young nephew found himself in the same position....23 year old big good looking lad had the pick of the ladies but overnight his life changed....he stuck to that kids side and showed a type of character that just impressed me so much watching him bring her up over the years....he's 52 now and shes 30 odd all grown up etc.... they have the most beautiful relationship it brings a tear to my eye just watching them together she idolises him.

Good for you mate the rewards will come....again,different type of riches.

Im still a bit of a dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 this year and a load of people I’ve worked with over the years have retired recently.
Not sure they’re all happier or more content for it though. Working gives you a sense of purpose, problems to solve which leave you with some sense of achievement, a lot of friendships or at least acquaintances who you have a bit of banter with or find stuff in common to complain about and vent the spleen.., and it gets you out from under her feet for a few hours most days. In short it’s a huge chunk of life and how most of is live for most of our lives. Not sure I ever want to actually retire. My aim is to do something until I physically can’t any longer. Think the trick is to weight it ‘mentally’ on your side or feel like it’s all on your terms. Have a mate who retired prior to Xmas, coming back on a 3 day week for 6 months. A 4 day weekend, every weekend sounds like bliss. Something like that would suit me in a few years. Can’t imagine a life spending all day every day with the missus, and only having trips to the garden centre and a couple of trudges round a golf course each week to look forward to. If that’s what I’m working all my days for I might as well do myself in now.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

52 this year and a load of people I’ve worked with over the years have retired recently.
Not sure they’re all happier or more content for it though. Working gives you a sense of purpose, problems to solve which leave you with some sense of achievement, a lot of friendships or at least acquaintances who you have a bit of banter with or find stuff in common to complain about and vent the spleen.., and it gets you out from under her feet for a few hours most days. In short it’s a huge chunk of life and how most of is live for most of our lives. Not sure I ever want to actually retire. My aim is to do something until I physically can’t any longer. Think the trick is to weight it ‘mentally’ on your side or feel like it’s all on your terms. Have a mate who retired prior to Xmas, coming back on a 3 day week for 6 months. A 4 day weekend, every weekend sounds like bliss. Something like that would suit me in a few years. Can’t imagine a life spending all day every day with the missus, and only having trips to the garden centre and a couple of trudges round a golf course each week to look forward to. If that’s what I’m working all my days for I might as well do myself in now.

Al those I know who are happily retired all have hobbies and interests. That's probably the secret to a happy retirement for most. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

My dads retired he had all these plans of what he was going to do with his time he stayed working a extra year then retired he’s been retired 3 years an done nothing bar watching tv and plays golf twice a week goes to the gym a couple of times a week for a hour then does nothing with the time all the plans of being able to do his house an garden have come to nothing I keep trying to g him up but he’s having none of it then moans times going fast and he’s achieved nothing. I hope I don’t end up having the same motivation as my father but I can’t see it myself because I’m the black sheep of the family and the type of guy I am I don’t switch off I’m a grafter if something needs doing I get it done because it plays on my mind if I don’t I’m a believer if you stop your body stops 

• Like 3

A few things for me lately have hit home the fact that you really do only get one go around on this wheel so - feck slaving away for most of it.

I like folks idea when they can retire early - do it. Go and enjoy your time and family as much as you can - take as much time in the sun as you can and, do whatever makes you and yours happy 👍🏻🙂  everything and everyone is just white noise.

All the best.

• Like 3
On 15/03/2024 at 14:57, downsouth said:

Before lockdown I spent 8years doing civils as a subby for southern gas.Mostly deep ex over hp pipelines,anything within 3metres was hand dig.Thats what really done the damage.My left ankle/knee/hip are all shot through constant stomping on the spade and my left elbow from chucking out.My right hand side feels no different to when I was 20.Any more than half an hour digging now and Im walking round like a spaz for 2 days afterwards.And in an ideal world mygirl would live with her mum and wed hare custody but unfortunately her mum is unwell so I do what needs doing.Ive never had the time of day for blokes that have kids and then dont take care of them especially when you hear them giving it"she wont let me see them".Always makes me think how hard have you actually tried.

I can relate to that, when you see these old builders limping along the road that is a result of hand digging , back then if you could nt a jcb (3cx) type machine in you had to hand dig as there was none of these smaller diggers made back then. I’m 55 this year and still at it , I refuse to dig footings by hand nowadays it hurts for days after. Flint, sandstone , chalk, clay etc no thankyou .it was shovel, wheelbarrow , skips. Now it’s excavator,dumper, grab truck

Edited by Qbgrey

I'm due to retire at the end of August. Just sorting the money out to pay off the ex Mrs and should be good to go.

My life expectancy isn't great so at least I'll have enough cash to have a decent lifestyle while I'm still here 😁

Cheers, D.

• Like 9