British pike record goes at chew valley Ames near Bristol

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will put it in the fishing section as well but chew valley res near Bristol has just done the British record 

Yeah...McHull was holding it!! Lol

I used to trim cork to the shape of a chum mixer for surface fishing, it’s all I used. Had fish to 30lb off the top that way, used to do a lot of surface fishing because frankly, other people did

Posted Images

Not a fisherman but used to fish years ago as a young buck used to love pike fishing my favourite fish in the British waterways…….they fecking taste like shit tho and full of bones

• Like 1

Some fish is that I presume it was caught on a lure as I led to believe dead baiting is not allowed on reservoirs just hope the big girl makes it to 50 pounds plus. Thrybergh reservoir near me they netted one as big just sad it was found a wile after dead in the margins. 

9 minutes ago, WILF said:

Never done any Pike fishing to speak of, couple of small ones many years ago but Carp were my thing.

However, I have been researching them a bit because I miss my carp fishing and there’s no carp here…..Pike are the biggest thing that swim in the lakes and rivers here so I thought “why not ?” 
And there’s a bit more to it than cast a dead bait and hope as I always believed, that got me interested.

I know they are a traditional winter species but can be fished for all year round so I’m going to have a f**k about when the wether breaks a bit….Neville’s have new battery’s (9 years since they were used and the battery still worked in 2 of them !!) 

The lakes here suit me because they are huge, if they had carp they would be perfect !……the nearest are 870 acres & 3000 acres respectively.

Anyway, it will be a new thing to try.

You can buy supple wire that you can tie like braid just make a big hair rig and a single circle sea hook on and thread your dead bait on the hair fish like you do for carp catch,s plenty, pre baiting chopped fish also works especially on waters that size, summer pike fight much harder and need a bit more tic when you handle them that’s why people don’t I love a bit of summer lure fishing personally  ,good luck 

• Like 1
Just now, Greyman said:

You can buy supple wire that you can tie like braid just make a big hair rig and a single circle sea hook on and thread your dead bait on the hair fish like you do for carp catch,s plenty, pre baiting chopped fish also works especially on waters that size, summer pike fight much harder and need a bit more tic when you handle them that’s why people don’t I love a bit of summer lure fishing personally  ,good luck 

Funny you say about bait mate because I always had an interest in how to bait and to what effect.

I was lucky in that I used to get field testers rates so I could use it as I wanted.

In all the things I have been watching and reading on pike, nobody has used bait to create an attraction area for bait fish !……..I’m thinking a decent particle mix of small seeds coupled with chopped or blended fish as you suggest on clear patches up the side of weed beds may be an idea ? 

I have also been looking at under water footage of how pike take dead bait and paying attention to the mechanics of how they take bottom bait compared to suspended etc so that will dictate rigs/presentation etc 
We will see…..it’s just applying things you know to other things really. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

Funny you say about bait mate because I always had an interest in how to bait and to what effect.

I was lucky in that I used to get field testers rates so I could use it as I wanted.

In all the things I have been watching and reading on pike, nobody has used bait to create an attraction area for bait fish !……..I’m thinking a decent particle mix of small seeds coupled with chopped or blended fish as you suggest on clear patches up the side of weed beds may be an idea ? 

I have also been looking at under water footage of how pike take dead bait and paying attention to the mechanics of how they take bottom bait compared to suspended etc so that will dictate rigs/presentation etc 
We will see…..it’s just applying things you know to other things really. 

Don't do a lot of pike fishing, but always feed maggot to pull roach in when fishing for perch.. I'm a firm believer in getting the feeding right is one of the most important parts of fishing, getting fish active in your swim attracts other fish...and the predators are sure to follow...

Anyway, sensible fishing chat ain't the order of the day... let's get back to the silliness now! Lol

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, WILF said:

Never done any Pike fishing to speak of, couple of small ones many years ago but Carp were my thing.

However, I have been researching them a bit because I miss my carp fishing and there’s no carp here…..Pike are the biggest thing that swim in the lakes and rivers here so I thought “why not ?” 
And there’s a bit more to it than cast a dead bait and hope as I always believed, that got me interested.

I know they are a traditional winter species but can be fished for all year round so I’m going to have a f**k about when the wether breaks a bit….Neville’s have new battery’s (9 years since they were used and the battery still worked in 2 of them !!) 

The lakes here suit me because they are huge, if they had carp they would be perfect !……the nearest are 870 acres & 3000 acres respectively.

Anyway, it will be a new thing to try.

How thrilling ! 

• Haha 2

The fish i believe was weighed at 47lb 5oz but is yet to be verified, So at this point as far as i am aware its not an actual British record fish, Although it possibly will be, As for Mchull and his great white caught in the village pond, Don't dismiss it out of hand, i have fished the local canal here for over 50 years on and off and the best i have landed was around 20lb. However the elctro fishing team employed by the CRT pulled out one over 32lb from an area just near me a couple of years ago, 

47 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Some fish is that I presume it was caught on a lure as I led to believe dead baiting is not allowed on reservoirs just hope the big girl makes it to 50 pounds plus. Thrybergh reservoir near me they netted one as big just sad it was found a wile after dead in the margins. 

Dead bait I believe Tats , chews rated as the best pike res in the country 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Dead bait I believe Tats , chews rated as the best pike res in the country 

There is a video of it swimming away strongly upon release.