British pike record goes at chew valley Ames near Bristol

33 minutes ago, WILF said:

Funny you say about bait mate because I always had an interest in how to bait and to what effect.

I was lucky in that I used to get field testers rates so I could use it as I wanted.

In all the things I have been watching and reading on pike, nobody has used bait to create an attraction area for bait fish !……..I’m thinking a decent particle mix of small seeds coupled with chopped or blended fish as you suggest on clear patches up the side of weed beds may be an idea ? 

I have also been looking at under water footage of how pike take dead bait and paying attention to the mechanics of how they take bottom bait compared to suspended etc so that will dictate rigs/presentation etc 
We will see…..it’s just applying things you know to other things really. 

Me and a mate tried prebating a swim a few times with mashed up Mackrel and eel in a bucket with holes drilled in it and put in the day before fishing, only difference it made was the amount of crayfish, seemed like there was thousands of the fuckers. 

This was on a good swim where I'd had fish up to 28lbs.

• Like 2

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will put it in the fishing section as well but chew valley res near Bristol has just done the British record 

Yeah...McHull was holding it!! Lol

I used to trim cork to the shape of a chum mixer for surface fishing, it’s all I used. Had fish to 30lb off the top that way, used to do a lot of surface fishing because frankly, other people did

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Me and a mate tried prebating a swim a few times with mashed up Mackrel and eel in a bucket with holes drilled in it and put in the day before fishing, only difference it made was the amount of crayfish, seemed like there was thousands of the fuckers. 

Crayfish over here dmd?

44 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Don't do a lot of pike fishing, but always feed maggot to pull roach in when fishing for perch.. I'm a firm believer in getting the feeding right is one of the most important parts of fishing, getting fish active in your swim attracts other fish...and the predators are sure to follow...

Anyway, sensible fishing chat ain't the order of the day... let's get back to the silliness now! Lol

I will tell you a little tip mate..and I've proven it time and time again..

If fishing a pond or lake either small or large. Just think about how the food gets into the pond or lake..it doesn't fall from the sky..it gets in there by a stream or a trickle etc.just look at the lye of the surrounding land. You will see where a small stream or trickle would be..where that little bit of water enters the pond or lake is a deadly place to fish..that's where the food conveyor belt is..all the fish know the food enters the water there..even the predators will be near as that area holds a lot of feeding fish..

Ignore the rest of the whole pond or lake and fish where the natural water course enters..

Llandegfedd Res ,not far fom me, still throws up some monsters...I know of 2 separate anglers (personally shown pics),that  have caught fish from it ,that weighted a good 2 pounds over the current British record at the time...the River Wye throws up some bompers too👍

Mackrell tail solid hook holds in tail bone so it stays on and lol, but if there a lot crays you bring back a perfect skeleton 

Those lamprey the ones that smell like cucumbers tabs ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Llandegfedd Res ,not far fom me, still throws up some monsters...I know of 2 separate anglers (personally shown pics),that  have caught fish from it ,that weighted a good 2 pounds over the current British record at the time...the River Wye throws up some bompers too👍

What's pontsticill like for pike mate..I know there's large carp in there..

24 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Crayfish over here dmd?

The Blackwater was lifting with them a few years ago Len, drop a Mackrel on the bottom give it five minutes and you'd have ten of them hanging on it. 

7 minutes ago, king said:

What's pontsticill like for pike mate..I know there's large carp in there..

Ive been looking at joining MTAA with my eldest Lad and having a go myself,last time I fished there was early 90's mate 👍

16 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Mackrell tail solid hook holds in tail bone so it stays on and lol, but if there a lot crays you bring back a perfect skeleton 

Smelts always smell like cucumber to me personally... Lamprey are very prehistoric almost eel like and very oily/bloody....used to catch them in the weir pools when we was kids👍

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Chaff said:

No that's smelt mate lamprey is like an eel in shape. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Ive been looking at joining MTAA with my eldest Lad and having a go myself,last time I fished there was early 90's mate 👍

About 93/94 I done a fair bit there..the small road bridge between the reservoirs..just there I liked going some good size perch there..its a cracking place to spend a day..lovely scenery mate..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

We used to pre bait for them over a few days,using chopped fish,oils etc same as you...then fish with 'popped up' kebab rigs...my biggest pike to date is 24lb 3 oz...👍

• Like 2