Harkila coats

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carpe diem,you want that coat,you NEED that coat,don’t talk yourself out of it,I knew when I saw your opening post “shall I get it?” YES get the coat,be decisive,you actually like that coat,you know y

Looks a cracking coat....  But imagine snagging it on barbed wire 1st time out, I reckon I'd actually cry... Lol

I'm as tight as cramp. I've been stalking on the estate my mate works on and sleeping on his couch. One of my mates put on a group chat "I'll be surprised if he's wearing his own clothes"...... I look

Posted Images

Out of likes today reading some of the replies. Had me in stitches

First I'm sorry if I gave the impression I had money to waste.....I don't....but I honestly never spend anything, hence the thought of treating myself. 

Second, in Lancashire I always took clemming to mean hungry. As in "I'm reet clemming" or " I'm fairly clempt".

I reckon I'm going to wait. Get Christmas and February holiday (first holiday abroad in years). Then have another look at prices....

Lastly I have got my application in for masonic knights templar but been told it's going to take up to two years ☹️

Just got in from Manchester Christmas markets....if I had any spare money before today I haven't now!!!! 3 baileys hot chocolate and a mulled wine....£44! Not even in this year's mugs !

PXL_20231210_160502219.jpg

PXL_20231210_160532888.jpg

• Haha 3
WWW.EDINBURGHOUTDOORWEAR.COM

Wax Jackets, Shooting Jackets, and Country Clothing from quality brands such as Percussion...

had a few Harkila over the years waste of money 

Percussion stuff always get good feedback and cheap as chips considering other outdoor clothing brands and it’s spot on 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

First I'm sorry if I gave the impression I had money to waste.....I don't....but I honestly never spend anything, hence the thought of treating myself. 

Second, in Lancashire I always took clemming to mean hungry. As in "I'm reet clemming" or " I'm fairly clempt".

I reckon I'm going to wait. Get Christmas and February holiday (first holiday abroad in years). Then have another look at prices....

Lastly I have got my application in for masonic knights templar but been told it's going to take up to two years ☹️

Just got in from Manchester Christmas markets....if I had any spare money before today I haven't now!!!! 3 baileys hot chocolate and a mulled wine....£44! Not even in this year's mugs !

Up here in Newcastle the word “clamming” means really hungry to us older souls, but £44 for those drinks ?

Have a word wi tha sell, young’un ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 1

I think Billy was based somewhere around the Potteries?

If you could decipher his writing, he was very knowledgeable. He was obviously dyslexic but in his day dyslexics were just deemed stupid.

He had a GSD half cross bitch but didn't breed from her because he thought she hadn't made the grade. Think he had a malinois cross and maybe a deerhound lurcher.

He had some fantastic British finches,some of them mutations,which were very valuable. He obviously knew what he was doing in that field.

I think there were some handbags and postcodes exchanged with the same member Wilf had a spat with. Possibly the reason he left.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

f**k that £44, Went to asda yesterday with the Mrs, Picked up this little turkey crown 1.3kg feeds 2 to 3 it said on the label. Got to the checkout and i said to the women how much is that Turkey crown, she scans it and says £13.50 sir, i told her to get someone to stick it back in the freezer. 

2 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

If you could decipher his writing, he was very knowledgeable. He was obviously dyslexic but in his day dyslexics were just deemed stupid.

He had GSD half cross bitch but didn't breed from her because he thought she hadn't made the grade. Think he had a malinois cross and maybe a deerhound lurcher.

He had some fantastic British finches,some of them mutations,which were very valuable. He obviously knew what he was doing in that field.

Yep, certainly 'knew his onions' with the finch breeding.  👍

18 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Up here in Newcastle the word “clamming” means really hungry to us older souls, but £44 for those drinks ?

Have a word wi tha sell, young’un ! LOL !

Cheers.

Clamming is really hungry.

15 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

He had a GSD half cross bitch but didn't breed from her because he thought she hadn't made the grade. Think he had a malinois cross and maybe a deerhound lurcher.

I think there were some handbags and postcodes exchanged with the same member Wilf had a spat with. Possibly the reason he left.

Bletchley park cryptanalysts couldn’t have deciphered his word jumbles into readable posts.And he was an angry geezer.

• Like 1

Being a nerd of all things “kit”, the best jacket I ever had was a Barbour….can’t remember the name but it wasn’t wax, it was an Endurance 3-1 or something like that.

Very breathable, not hot, would keep you at a nice temp even for miles in the back of a pickup in winter when we used to lamp that way….let absolutely no cold wind in at all, good waterproof abilities.

That was about £400 ish from memory, it got nicked along with a load of other kit along with my four track…..but I could never find another.

Musto was also extremely good, I was out in one of the most torrential downpours I have ever seen for hours once in a Musto and staid absolutely bone dry.

I have Laksen, Ridgeline smock, Musto and a lightweight Barbour.

If I only had to have one, I’d have the Barbour that got nicked again.

The ridgeline is tidy on a quad, but I can get hot moving about….

Personally, I’d get one of the non wax barbours and then spend the rest of the money on different layers/ trousers/foot ware …..one rip on barb wire in 1200 sovs worth of coat and you’d be well pissed off.

And a really good coat is no good without really good trousers because your legs just get soaked and cold instead.

I had a deer hunter coat and gave it away because it was shite, the trousers from deer hunter are ok. 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

in 2020

• Members
  • 5,072 posts
  • Popular Post
  •  

I can keep this secret no longer. I was called to act as witness, referee and banker to the showdown between Katchum and wild Bill. The purse was three quid, neither of the two c**ts had any money so I had to lend them £1.50  each which I kept safely in my pocket. I asked both men if they were ready to fight.  For some reason I suddenly started to talk in an Irish accent, maybe my mind had told me to get into character.

"Now then me boyos, Oi'll tell you what Oi'll do  wid yous. I want a good clean fight. No boitin, gouging, f****n head butting  or any shoite like that.  I will ask you to shake hands every so often and when we've f****n finished we'll have a f****n bevy,:drinks: order some  f****n tarmac and go and rip off some  f****n pensioners.

At this point Bill and Katch started to shake hands.

" For f**k's sake", I exploded. " You've got to foight first"! Otherwise I will put it all over THL that you're a pair of shit in the bucket cowards!"

Reluctantly they agreed. The fight went something like this.

Bill....."Ya ta fi hybrid c**t fi jukel, (commee c**t). have at ye  ye scotch yorkshire bender".

Katch. "I'll  banjo ye with a bottle of Buckie ye English twat that  ye are".

Bill circled Katch with a murderous glint in his one remaining eye (he's kept quiet,  that out of sheer frustration, his old spelling teacher had poked him in the left peeper with his ballpoint pen and threatened and bribed him to stay stum. )

At this point Katchum's kelpie appeared. 'Look at ta skinny yousless piece of fi hybrid shite' spat Bill.

The proceedings began to look ugly. Katchum had gone from red in the face to white. His pup's honour was at stake. He rushed at Bill and managed to connect with an extremely limp wrist. Bill swore. "ya twat, ya fa fi hybrid vigour c**t i'll muller ye fi hybrid fa tie int hybrid".

At this point Katchum's Mrs came out and ordered Katchum in the house. Katchum slunk away trying not to catch my eye. Mrs Katchum then approached wild Bill, grabbed him by the lapels and nutted him squarely on the nose.  Bill managed to whisper "ya fi ta fi hybrid" and collapsed into unconsciousness. His bad eye stared at me grotesquely. Little did I know he was as good as dead, for within seconds Mrs Katchum jumped into a tractor, scooped Bill onto the front loader and dumped him into  a slurry pit.

"That's the fifth one this month" she spat at me.  "That wanker peering through the curtains is  forever picking fights on the internet. You keep your b*****d  mouth shut, you decrepit smelly old c**t or you'll end up in that slurry pit along with the rest".

" Madam" I said. " I am 70 years old, please speak to me respectfully". She kicked me in the balls, viciously. "Not a bad pair she said, a lot bigger that Katchum's".

"You flatter me Mrs would you like to feel the rest of my wedding tackle?"

Mrs Katch shook her head in disgust at my chat up line. " Why don't you f**k off to the graveyard ya f****n coffin dodger. Just f**k off and keep your mouth shut or else I'm coming for you"

You will understand fellow THL members. I was extremely frightened and upset. I have agonised about my position for some time and decided reluctantly to grass the Katchums up. I have therefore instructed plod to search a certain Yorkshire slurry pit. This is the last you will hear from me or Katch for some time.The  Katchums I am afraid will  be dining on English porridge for the foreseeable future. I am leaving the country in case Mrs Katch escapes and comes looking for me. Goodbye.

( New and improved version, I should get out more)

Edited January 17, 2020 by jukel123

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WILF said:

Being a nerd of all things “kit”, the best jacket I ever had was a Barbour….can’t remember the name but it wasn’t wax, it was an Endurance 3-1 or something like that.

Very breathable, not hot, would keep you at a nice temp even for miles in the back of a pickup in winter when we used to lamp that way….let absolutely no cold wind in at all, good waterproof abilities.

That was about £400 ish from memory, it got nicked along with a load of other kit along with my four track…..but I could never find another.

Musto was also extremely good, I was out in one of the most torrential downpours I have ever seen for hours once in a Musto and staid absolutely bone dry.

Personally, I’d get one of the non wax barbours and then spend the rest of the money on different layers/ trousers/foot ware …..one rip on barb wire in 1200 sovs worth of coat and you’d be well pissed off.

And a really good coat is no good without really good trousers because your legs just get soaked and cold instead.

Always managed to get an old Barbour jacket from a local table top sale in aid of Mencap, I trashed one each season guaranteed, Big L shaped rips from barbed wire, Wellies were even worse, Neoprene didn't last a week, Agile were better. 

Nowadays with no dogs i brought a Verney Carron pro hunter jacket -30, Comes with a fleece liner, far to warm to walk miles in but for what i do now its been great, Had it a couple of seasons, To be honest for £180 or what ever i paid for it, Then its been good value, 

10 minutes ago, paulus said:

Always managed to get an old Barbour jacket from a local table top sale in aid of Mencap, I trashed one each season guaranteed, Big L shaped rips from barbed wire, Wellies were even worse, Neoprene didn't last a week, Agile were better. 

I reckon you’d pick up a decent Barbour from eBay, but I’d always say avoid wax which I’m sure everyone knows.

I had the Le Chamou wellies but your socks always slip down in them, neoprene don’t give you that problem imho mate.

My neoprene didn’t do too bad, but my Mindl boots are the best thing I ever bought…..16 years old and still going strong.

Nowadays with no dogs i brought a Verney Carron pro hunter jacket -30, Comes with a fleece liner, far to warm to walk miles in but for what i do now its been great, Had it a couple of seasons, To be honest for £180 or what ever i paid for it, Then its been good value, 

There’s some good kit to be had for reasonable money now and because our climate is so temperate and different on different days it’s really a question of having a few bits you can turn to imho 

January in Angus is not the same a January in Surrey…..I think that’s worth keeping in mind when buying kit from manufacturers based in climates where you have solid extremes….like the artic circle. 
They are making clothes for a whole different set of circumstances.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, WILF said:

I had a deer hunter coat and gave it away because it was shite, the trousers from deer hunter are ok. 

I think I’ve got that same Barbour Endurance amazing coat as you say never ever been cold or wet in it 20 plus years and it is still in perfect condition I love it, I remember standing on the back of the hunt truck we was collecting hounds and I had about 2/3 inches of snow all over it I didn’t feel a thing, shame you lost it Wilf as you say they don’t make them anymore.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, scotty12 said:
WWW.EDINBURGHOUTDOORWEAR.COM

Wax Jackets, Shooting Jackets, and Country Clothing from quality brands such as Percussion...

had a few Harkila over the years waste of money 

Percussion stuff always get good feedback and cheap as chips considering other outdoor clothing brands and it’s spot on 

I been wearing game trousers this season cheap as chips not to worried if I rip them on wire etc 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FLATTOP said:

I think I’ve got that same Barbour Endurance amazing coat as you say never ever been cold or wet in it 20 plus years and it is still in perfect condition I love it, I remember standing on the back of the hunt truck we was collecting hounds and I had about 2/3 inches of snow all over it I didn’t feel a thing, shame you lost it Wilf as you say they don’t make them anymore.

Didn’t buy off some lads driving a green Four Track with a couple of lamps and a bellman & Flint locator and 2 collars in the back did you ? Lol 

Amazing bit of kit mate, never hot walking, never cold in the back of a pickup doing countless miles in winter….brilliant.