Tenerife

2 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Yes mate. I can't quite remember exactly what year it was. It was a year or two before the trouble that they had there though.. I do remember that!

In fact.. I've just found an old image on my phone with some exif information on.. and the year is 2014! I still use that Samsung tablet most days by the way!!

Screenshot_20230907_144621_Gallery.jpg.12db01ae4ad4285fee0731a7adf4947b.jpg

I went to sharm in the 90’s just before the valley of the kings terrorist massacre,my sis has been a couple of times in the last few years and said it’s totally changed,no longer a diver exclusive,it’s got all inclusive hotels and suchlike,she enjoys it and it’s cheap.

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't imagine the horror them poor folks must have gone through doesn't bear thinking about its another reason though it might sound silly to some but no way on this earth will I holiday in a Muslim

I went abroad once....never again 😄

Tell socks that gnasher has invited him to a few days scuba diving in the red sea and bird says it'll be a blinding few days. Lol. 

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, mackem said:

I went to sharm in the 90’s just before the valley of the kings terrorist massacre,my sis has been a couple of times in the last few years and said it’s totally changed,no longer a diver exclusive,it’s got all inclusive hotels and suchlike,she enjoys it and it’s cheap.

It ticks alot of box's for most folk mate. I know a few that but the bullet and went after Sharm reopened post trouble and they bagged some mega bargins. Was brave of them to be the first to go back though. Must have been the chap price that they couldn't resist!!

3 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

It ticks alot of box's for most folk mate. I know a few that but the bullet and went after Sharm reopened post trouble and they bagged some mega bargins. Was brave of them to be the first to go back though. Must have been the chap price that they couldn't resist!!

Yup,Sharm is fine for families,quite a sanitised version of egypt,Cairo is a different kettle of fish entirely,total mess.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I've been a couple of times and not overawed to say the least . Stayed at Los Gigantes which is less touristy and pricey. To me the island is not a pretty place...too much concrete and not enough wild life. Hardly any birds and not enough lizards butterflies or exotic looking insects. I'm going to Gran Canaria for Xmas,I don't expect it to be any different,although  there are large lizards there.

The Canaries imo, are islands which have grown to service tourists only. There's not a lot of olde worlde charm. It's not quite Blackpool with sun,but it's getting there.

DIDO, there are fishing trips available all over the island..80 euros for half a day. Watch out for pickpockets around airport and busier resorts.

Only been to Tenerife once not a place i would be bothered about going again though if you are taking your young kids with you it's the place to go with plenty for them to do. We stopped in the TUI Blue hotel just down from a row of derelict shops that squatters were occupying one of the things i most remember about the holiday was nearly getting run over by two fat English fekers in one of them double mobility scooters they had hired. Though i did enjoy the trip to the zoo witch is worth a visit also went on a fishing trip that i thought was a rip off as it was just a glorified boat ride.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Only been to Tenerife once not a place i would be bothered about going again though if you are taking your young kids with you it's the place to go with plenty for them to do. We stopped in the TUI Blue hotel just down from a row of derelict shops that squatters were occupying one of the things i most remember about the holiday was nearly getting run over by two fat English fekers in one of them double mobility scooters they had hired. Though i did enjoy the trip to the zoo witch is worth a visit also went on a fishing trip that i thought was a rip off as it was just a glorified boat ride.

I never went on any of the fishing trips because I spoke to others who confirmed  what you said, it was a glorified boat ride. However a mate of mine did go and got a marlin the same height as himself.

There were homeless people near out hotel too. But they slept in cars.  They never begged from us and looked quite smart...maybe they had jobs. Plenty of homeless people sleeping rough on benches in the parks. I suppose in you are homeless then the Canaries have got the climate for it. When we left I offered them some left over booze which they  thanked us for, but they didn't get tore into it as though they were alcoholics.

I found the best value for eating out were the outside Chinese restaurants away from the tourist spots. They served grub of all types, not just Chinese  quickly with no fuss. Their tapas and wine  were dirt cheap too.

Edited by jukel123
2 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

Mum and dad just got back from Tenerife said it’s turning in to Benidorm 

Most of the Canaries are nowadays....full of Irish pubs and Chinese Restaurants....who needs it when your on holiday.

There was a time when such places were full of German/Dutch/Scandanavians as well as Brits......either they are all sick and tired of us or Brits are the only ones going on holiday these days.

• Like 1

I'd never go back to Tunisia. Absolute shit hole and I didn't think anything to the locals/ workers in the resort either.. arrogant tossers probably best describes them. F@@k all out there either.. during the transfer it was just miles of dusty barren land with the odd pen here and there full of dehydrated goats. Weather was nice mind. Probably better of taking a picnic up Ilkley Moor or something!

• Haha 1

I've been to all of 5hose mentioned places. What people forget it that in the winter you have to go a long way down south to find heat.  Not only that but in a lot of these places the season is over and there is nothing going on for tourists to see or do.  As for not ever going to a Muslim country,  that is very short sighted. They are just people like anyone.  If they came here with that sort of attitude you would say what a load of arrogant people. If you go to THEIR COUNTRY with a sort of arrogant imperialistic attitude it doesn't represent this country.  It all depends on what you are going to a place for. Eg you wouldn't go to London if you wanted to laze on a beach. Customs in some countries are a lot different to here. Personally I found Sharm to be a  bit of a dump. The canaries are OK but fuertevntura was very windy and being on the beach was like being sandblasted red raw. Do research BEFORE you commit