Cabin in the woods

Most woodlands for sale have clauses on them restricting any changes. To get planning would be almost impossible and even if you did the ground works would bankrupt you because of all the tree roots . Staying on it in temp accommodation on a temp basis would be fine but you will be living like stig of the dump= no fun 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This all reminds me of an old friend of my Father's. Not a cabin, but a cottage, out in the middle of nowhere.   Back in the 90's, my father used to do a lot of hunting, and fishing, and got in w

This is an outstanding post, overflowing with country lore, and will go into THL heritage archives 

. Bedford MK & MJ WWW.TRAVELLERHOMES.CO.UK Traveller trucks, buses, wagons, boats and more. Thousands of images of life on the road Bit of B

Posted Images

On 20/07/2023 at 21:47, fireman said:

What one was it as i might have known it and met you maybe somewhere along the road, i got sent this pic last week that's over 30 years ago now and i still regret selling that lorry..

Austin.JPG

That looks like a serial killer from some fuuckin desert town in the states :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Know a lad has Luton van set up works two weeks out of 4 home caring for elderly deaf and dumb live in job 

then 2 weeks running around in this thing living his best life claims to run it on chip fat oil whether true or not I don’t know hits all the festivals he can gets for free helping out set up etc maybe misses the actual weekend itself or other way round missis set up weekend but can get there for the tidy up 

lucky man and also a very lucky women he looks after not lucky due to her disability’s but luck enough shes someone like him as part of her care team 

ps and he genuinely does shite in a bucket full toilet lit on wall and one of those metal paint buckets 20 litres with the air seal snap round lids 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, mushroom said:

That looks like a serial killer from some fuuckin desert town in the states :laugh: 

That site we called  the end of the world and it was next to a irish p***y site so that sort of mental mind set a serial killer might have wasn't far off what i felt half the fecking time living there..:laugh:..

3 minutes ago, fireman said:

That site we called  the end of the world and it was next to a irish p***y site so that sort of mental mind set a serial killer might have wasn't far off what i felt half the fecking time living there..:laugh:..

Never mind that how was the dog bred lol 

• Haha 1

I've been doing a lot of research into this and similar to go off grid. 

Ultimately the conclusion I came to was do it, move in a tourer or static and then fight the fight if it came.

Water could be bore hole, waste tanked, gas bottled, elec for low power use some solar panels will cover.

Main way councils find out is by someone informing so if your place is visible or has footpaths through it then you will be pulled. If you have somewhere with private access and plenty cover then who would know you were there.

Plus if you go all in and evidence that's only place you can live and you don't have 100k stashed in bank then evicting becomes a lot harder. I.e. you are only there out if necessity and eviction would lead to you being homeless or a problem for the council to house.

There are loop holes still, book called field to farm by David acreman worth getting. Its not cheap but it does explain how it can be done legally. 

• Like 1

Yup, addicted to watching those lads on youtube building cabins in the middle of woods. Some of them are pure genius. Not a permanent home, but be great for getting away from the Mrs now and again.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, fireman said:

I’m the morning after right now and even I know in my state…. Fuuck off you Jason :laugh:

• Haha 1

Who remembers the lad on here who setup shop on a bit of local scrub land. Had a veg plot and an air rifle for meat. Eventually got evicted after the owner finally turned up with the police but not without a fight. Hard to figure out whether to admire his attitude or section him!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Yup, addicted to watching those lads on youtube building cabins in the middle of woods. Some of them are pure genius. Not a permanent home, but be great for getting away from the Mrs now and again.

Ive got an allotment with for that very reason ?

• Like 1

I'm working with a lad now who lives in a horsebox..he owns 83 acres of land..he showed me pics on his phone of the horsebox and what he calls his outside kitchen..its more of an open fronted large wooden shed..lovely looking setup..polly tunnels..chickens..large veg plot etc..looks a very nice place he's made for him and his missus..no mains electricity or water mains..its a very smart clean setup he's got..

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, king said:

I'm working with a lad now who lives in a horsebox..he owns 83 acres of land..he showed me pics on his phone of the horsebox and what he calls his outside kitchen..its more of an open fronted large wooden shed..lovely looking setup..polly tunnels..chickens..large veg plot etc..looks a very nice place he's made for him and his missus..no mains electricity or water mains..its a very smart clean setup he's got..

83 acres is a cracking piece of land to dissappear into .

You can manage quite well without mains electricity or water , just as long as youre sensible,  don't mind putting a bit of graft in , and limit your expectations slightly. ?

3 minutes ago, mel b said:

83 acres is a cracking piece of land to dissappear into .

You can manage quite well without mains electricity or water , just as long as youre sensible,  don't mind putting a bit of graft in , and limit your expectations slightly. ?

And it's in North wales..so cracking piece of the country Mel.. when he told me the first day he lives in a horsebox i thought that sounds a bit rough lol..but the pics he showed me opened my eyes to be honest..big raised seating area infront of the kitchen..cuts his own logs..he's got a few cattle etc.. he's got it sorted to be fair.

• Like 2
Just now, king said:

And it's in North wales..so cracking piece of the country Mel.. when he told me the first day he lives in a horsebox i thought that sounds a bit rough lol..but the pics he showed me opened my eyes to be honest..big raised seating area infront of the kitchen..cuts his own logs..he's got a few cattle etc.. he's got it sorted to be fair.

North Wales is a beautiful part of the country . We looked at a few pieces of woodland up that way before I bought my little plot , a bit closer to home.

Living off grid doesn't have to be rough ( unless you prefer it that way) . Just a little bit of forward planning,  and extra graft , and you can be pretty comfortable. 

I'd guess that keeping cattle might be a bit more challenging,  but as long as you don't mind the extra effort, it would be great.

We rarely stay at our woodland for more than a long weekend , maybe a week at a push ,  but I'd love to try living off grid . Several things stop me from going for it full time . One is money . Ive been financially stable for years , but I worry that things could go tits up in the future ( think of all the end of the world covid hysteria) , and the other thing is going off grid on a piece of land , without the full permission of the local authority.  You'd be constantly looking over your shoulder , and waiting for a planning officer to hand you a letter telling you that you've got 28 days to remove everything you own ?.

I'd love to buy a decent sized smallholding,  but theyre well out of my price range unfortunately. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mel b said:

North Wales is a beautiful part of the country . We looked at a few pieces of woodland up that way before I bought my little plot , a bit closer to home.

Living off grid doesn't have to be rough ( unless you prefer it that way) . Just a little bit of forward planning,  and extra graft , and you can be pretty comfortable. 

I'd guess that keeping cattle might be a bit more challenging,  but as long as you don't mind the extra effort, it would be great.

We rarely stay at our woodland for more than a long weekend , maybe a week at a push ,  but I'd love to try living off grid . Several things stop me from going for it full time . One is money . Ive been financially stable for years , but I worry that things could go tits up in the future ( think of all the end of the world covid hysteria) , and the other thing is going off grid on a piece of land , without the full permission of the local authority.  You'd be constantly looking over your shoulder , and waiting for a planning officer to hand you a letter telling you that you've got 28 days to remove everything you own ?.

I'd love to buy a decent sized smallholding,  but theyre well out of my price range unfortunately. 

You see the odd fenced off plots on roadsides on the outskirts of farmland, I don't know the legalities of that type of set up, but one of the places I pass on the way to work has a fella living on there in a little old caravan, I hear he's from the Highlands of Scotland, Hebrides or somewhere originally, and is hoping to get back up there, I've never talked to him myself, hear he does odd bits of work