Cabin in the woods

Build it on any chassis base mate. They can’t say f**k all ;) All you have to do is move it now and again. As in, go on the fishing trip once a year with it :laugh:

Mel’s right about the post code thing though, you can legally have a post box with the local post code on a piece of land you buy but that will draw suspicion. Asking for a post code for a cabin will get you busted.

All this is based on my research from before I moved here, as that was the plan…. ?‍♂️

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This all reminds me of an old friend of my Father's. Not a cabin, but a cottage, out in the middle of nowhere.   Back in the 90's, my father used to do a lot of hunting, and fishing, and got in w

This is an outstanding post, overflowing with country lore, and will go into THL heritage archives 

. Bedford MK & MJ WWW.TRAVELLERHOMES.CO.UK Traveller trucks, buses, wagons, boats and more. Thousands of images of life on the road Bit of B

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mushroom said:

Build it on any chassis base mate. They can’t say f**k all ;) All you have to do is move it now and again. As in, go on the fishing trip once a year with it :laugh:

Mel’s right about the post code thing though, you can legally have a post box with the local post code on a piece of land you buy but that will draw suspicion. Asking for a post code for a cabin will get you busted.

All this is based on my research from before I moved here, as that was the plan…. ?‍♂️

Yeah that's my understanding if it's got wheels there's not much they can do , I think you can get away with a water supply also but not drains , you'd be looking at a composting lav ?

6 hours ago, mushroom said:

I had a good look at it , before I bought my woodland . I really fancy the idea of a log cabin in the woods , but theirs just no way that you can do it , and still live a relaxed life , without constantly waiting for someone from the council to turn up , and turn your life upside down.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kanny said:

Yeah that's my understanding if it's got wheels there's not much they can do , I think you can get away with a water supply also but not drains , you'd be looking at a composting lav ?

Some bits of woodland already have water , especially if the woodland has previously been used for grazing , and had been classed as grazing land ( mine had) . Composting toilets work very well , just as long as you don't mind the extra work involved .

The starting point with woodland,  is that you can stay on there for 28( you can get that increased) nights per year , but no more than 14 nights in one stay ( nobody really cares if you go a few days over).

I've known guys that have lived in a caravan in woodland,  and move it every so often , sometimes they get away with it , and sometimes the local authority will just get the 28 night rule altered , so that they can't stay on there (overnight)at all.

Strangely enough , you're allowed to put a caravan on your woodland,  and have seasonal workers staying in there ( a season can last anything up to 12 months) . I can't see what would stop two people buying  separate bits of land , and letting each other live on their land as seasonal workers , but you may have to prove that you are paying your worker ( at least) minimum wage , and that enough money is being made from your woodland to sustain that wage.

Edited to add.

It's been six or seven years since I did any serious digging into it , so my info might be a bit out of date now.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Coywolf said:

what about if you applied for an eco friendly of the grid property....would that be a route to research? 

That's been done . Mainly by people that work in woodland ( making charcoal etc) , but it can't be a permanent structure ( you can't build it out of bricks and mortar) . It will also have a time restriction on its use . You can use it , then you can pass it on to your children .  I'd guess that if your child could prove that they carried on the charcoal making business,  its use could probably be extended to the following generations( but you might need to prove that it's a viable business). 

• Like 1

It's been a while since I did any real digging into woodland living , so things might be a bit different now.

I can see why rules can be so tight at times . Its to avoid shanty Town springing up on any piece of land . Its to preserve the countryside for future generations , and it wouldn't take long for a couple of families to start causing pretty bad environmental damage( that could be damaging to other people) to a piece of woodland,  if they weren't careful. 

On the other hand , we're running out of space in this country , and it'll get more and more difficult for local authorities to chase people away from bits of land that they own , if they have nowhere else to live.

The best way to live on woodland,  is to be invisible ?.

• Like 1

All the little pockets of woodland around my way have been bought up. Then people stick up tents little caravans timber sheds though they never seem to last long. They can be a pain to some one that likes to walk his dog. I was a walking an old forestry the other day with the dog for bit of nostalgia as I used to work in it years ago. Saw a few signs up saying private but thought nothing of it. Walks round corner and was in middle of TeePee  valley. Like the little big horn swift about turn needed :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, terryd said:

All the little pockets of woodland around my way have been bought up. Then people stick up tents little caravans timber sheds though they never seem to last long. They can be a pain to some one that likes to walk his dog. I was a walking an old forestry the other day with the dog for bit of nostalgia as I used to work in it years ago. Saw a few signs up saying private but thought nothing of it. Walks round corner and was in middle of TeePee  valley. Like the little big horn swift about turn needed :) 

That's the problem.  One tent will turn into two tents , then wooden sheds , then tin sheds , then a few concrete blocks , and in ten years , you've got a south American shanty Town,  with no sewers or running water , no refuse collection , and all the trees cut down for firewood.

1 hour ago, mel b said:

That's the problem.  One tent will turn into two tents , then wooden sheds , then tin sheds , then a few concrete blocks , and in ten years , you've got a south American shanty Town,  with no sewers or running water , no refuse collection , and all the trees cut down for firewood.

And niggas and junkies all over the place

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

And niggas and junkies all over the place

I was far too polite to mention that ?.

It's a real shame that were so restricted in this country , but once you dig a little deeper,  it's very understandable why regs can sometimes seem quite strict.

Some of the history of planning regs can be very interesting . I remember reading that in the past , a shed in a woodland,  could sometimes be classed as a caravan.  It was due to men coming home from war . Some of the returning soldiers had lost their homes and families ( bombing raids etc). And they could get a job on a farm , and live in a shed on the farm , and the shed could be classed as a caravan. 

• Like 1
On 18/07/2023 at 22:37, greg64 said:

nice my old fg is on the Travellers homes site after i sold it to a mate

What one was it as i might have known it and met you maybe somewhere along the road, i got sent this pic last week that's over 30 years ago now and i still regret selling that lorry..

Austin.JPG

• Like 5
1 hour ago, fireman said:

What one was it as i might have known it and met you maybe somewhere along the road, i got sent this pic last week that's over 30 years ago now and i still regret selling that lorry..

Austin.JPG

5183_1000w.jpg

5183_1000w.jpg

Edited by greg64
  • Like 4