1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

Yeah,.. I think as the years roll by, the feeding regime changes alongside...?

Its crazy, but when I was lamping most nights, and catching plenty of game, I fed the dogs on a pretty poor diet..

They still did ok, and I often wonder if I was just lucky, or would the jukels have taken more quarry, if I had fed them a superior food?

Most nights,.. were Vitalin nights❗

Unbelievable, Muesli style shite,...but there ya go,.. we knew no better, and the dogs ran spot on...

Nowadays, I only keep companion dogs, wee Mouchers,.. and we rarely catch much, so I feed what comes my way, and I don't get too serious about it.?

DSC_9761.jpg

Lol .....My family had an animal feed business and in the 70/80s we used to sell loads of Vitalin or Wilson's, both were muesli type feeds ........ plenty of rabbits were caught on it ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't buy Red Mills on principal since they buckled to the antis and pulled out of their sponsorship of greyhound racing .....they sell to the industry but don't agree with it???? how's that work .

I generally use raw when I can get it,I've a mate that helps me out a lot with flesh,Andi throw a cup full of dog meal in on top ,....I'll get at least a month out of the free bag ,I also do a few ste

I have been involved with greyhounds nearly 40 years and still feed traditional as I remember seeing trainers cooking a massive stew at the kennels ?.....I use pasta rice tripe , mince,sardines and ob

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I'll never forget the smell of my dog's shite, after I started to feed them that stuff!!  Strewn all across the kennel run like someone had been in there with a muckspreader!!  ?

Close to 40 years ago, but NEVER again!!  ? ?

Remember vitalin OK but there was another one we used special Blend u called it like rabbit food back in the early days 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

A few years back, I was at the feed merchants for poultry food, and the owner told me a Greyhound trainer had ordered a pallet of this, but had let him down. The supplier said it wasn't worth sending it back so just sell it for what you can get.

IMG_1734.JPG.dee5b56e164c95f945a40600f9a9013e.JPG

It retailed at £28 but he was selling it for £8. He gave me a bag for free to try it. The dogs looked great on it, even though some people said there was to much protein. Anyway, I went back to buy more, but a lad who worked there an kept coursing dogs had bought the lot !

I think it was made by Alpha, but had the feed merchants label.

Cheers.

i was on arden grange charts when i went to buy a few sacks there wasn’t any were i go they had alpha pup and adult i remember seeing fuji saying it wasn’t bad feed so i got that pup and adult bag same price as one arden grange it seems to be spot on dogs love it in good order from it i stayed on taht as me dry 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Remember vitalin OK but there was another one we used special Blend u called it like rabbit food back in the early days 

Yeah, my mate used to work in a pet shop, and I bought a bag of it  from there once.  Tried em on it for a few days, but they didn't do well on it, even though they ate it readily enough lol.  ?

A lad who had an allotment next to mine worked for a large bakery and got me 25 litre tubs of broken and misshapen energy bars for the hens and high calcium baby rusks for the dogs, for £2 a tub ;

IMG_1742.JPG.f3be02a44819f42d08bbc80d49e68d08.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG.19e9635a7ba61ed759c8c2712078ba2e.JPG

Sadly he left the job, gave up the allotment and moved away..........selfish c**t ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What happened to  a tin of chappie and kitchen scraps ? we have always mainly fed raw as old man was a foreman slaughter man we always  had allsorts boiling in big pans in yard sheep heads wessels throttles  whatever he could get went in  ? always ended up with a jelly fatty crust on top  .the old girl use to bring her washing in before a boil up because of the smell .dogs always looked well .my mate brings me allsorts ox and lamb hearts beef tripe whatever he can get I take of him we just agree a figure .I get chickens from wholesalers that aren't fit for human consumption again I take what he has and mince it up again it's not much .and I get fish heads and put them through the mincer a couple of times and boil them in pressure cooker .the fishmonger saves me the juices and blood from the bottom of the trays and I boil the heads in that costs a bottle of bells at the end of the month .all mixed with  biscuit for running dogs minus the fancy name 14 quid a sack .

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, shaaark said:

I'll never forget the smell of my dog's shite, after I started to feed them that stuff!!  Strewn all across the kennel run like someone had been in there with a muckspreader!!  ?

Close to 40 years ago, but NEVER again!!  ? ?

Only ever used it for spod mixes and pre baiting campaigns on big waters....the stuff looks like hamster food ?

• Haha 1