RIP THE DUKE

30 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

My understanding is ex military can only wear their medals, not the uniform.

The royal family have a lot of honorary military appointments, gifted to them by the queen, so therefore can wear the uniform.

The irony is; the only two who actually served in the military, Harry and Andrew, are the ones who aren't being allowed to wear uniform.

Andrew because he demanded to wear the uniform of a Royal Navy Admiral, but he is "only" an honorary Vice Admiral.

Harry because he gave up his honorary military appointments when he gave up royal duties.

Its laughable that the likes of prince Edward can wear military uniform, even though he couldn't even complete Royal Marines basic training and cried off, but his mum made him an honorary Colonel.

All very "Ruritanian" in my opinion.

Cheers.

your missing out charles being an ex navy officer and william was a S&R pilot based in RAF valley before he signed up as an air ambulance pilot, the only two of the immediate family who should not wear any uniform are edward and ann, he did not make it through basic training and I`ve never heard of ann doing any military service

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He came to Britain as a refugee. Fought in major battles at sea, saved his ship, gave up a possible chance to become admiral for love. Helped start the wwf, played professional cricket, represented hi

A good friend of mine once got invited to a hare shoot down the country. Not my sort of thing as I preferred to run them or hunt them but each to his own. I forget where it was but in retrospect assum

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, neil82 said:

your missing out charles being an ex navy officer and william was a S&R pilot based in RAF valley before he signed up as an air ambulance pilot, the only two of the immediate family who should not wear any uniform are edward and ann, he did not make it through basic training and I`ve never heard of ann doing any military service

I stand corrected, and apologise.

Perhaps I should have said only Andrew and Harry saw active service; Andrew in the Falklands war and Harry in Afghanistan ?

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, neil82 said:

I think Anne was in the household cavalry (as a horse )in her younger years ,served with distinction .

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, baker boy said:

The man designed his own hearse

WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

Prince Philip spent 16 years working on plans for the custom-built military green Land Rover hearse that...

whats the betting that a few of the horse riders wil have some rope stashed on them in case the usual landrover reliability strikes

• Haha 1

It is not a hearse its the gun wagon from shoot day as he loved his shooting. As expected the media will be forgetting that part 

oh maybe it is a hearse after all lol. I was wondering how it would look if they just lobbed coffin in back of the shooters wagon lol

Edited by terryd

Classic case of the media "bending" the truth!

It didn't take 16 years to design and build. 

The Duke ordered it 16 years ago in anticipation of his own funeral and Land Rover Special Vehicles toook a 130 chassis cab and put a back on it to carry a coffin.

Theres actually two, in case one breaks down. They were taken out of mothballs and serviced when his death was announced.

Some people actually think Philip was involved in designing THE Land Rover.......he wasn't, it was Maurice Wikes.

Cheers.

• Like 2

The royals are entitled as the various guises of ceremonial commander in chiefs to wear military attire . 

for example Prince Charles is c i c of the parachute regiment . That means he can wear full mess wings etc as his entitlement. It doesn’t mean he’s about to stand up , hook up and shuffle to the door in full iera kit . 

I have no unbridgeable with any royals wearing the uniform . The queen is my Corps commander in chief , I don’t expect her to be sat snapping explosive ring main wires round a double span bridge any time soon . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Never seen it, but seems to have triggered a few. Not difficult. 

Me, I think it’s ridiculous, as monarch of this multi-cultural nation, and head of a family of apparent racists, that the queen doesn’t invite someone ‘BAME’ as one of the few attendees to her husband of 70 odd years funeral. Not tokenism at all, and not just anyone mind, maybe a knight of the realm and national treasure like Sir Trevor McDonald, or Sir Lenny Henry. Or.., maybe go all out and reach out to the youth and bring in a grime star..., Stormzy? He could do a bit freestyle on the mic as the coffin’s carried out, as a more ‘inclusive’ alternative to the stuffy old hymns. 

• Haha 5
20 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Never seen it, but seems to have triggered a few. Not difficult. 

Me, I think it’s ridiculous, as monarch of this multi-cultural nation, and head of a family of apparent racists, that the queen doesn’t invite someone ‘BAME’ as one of the few attendees to her husband of 70 odd years funeral. Not tokenism at all, and not just anyone mind, maybe a knight of the realm and national treasure like Sir Trevor McDonald, or Sir Lenny Henry. Or.., maybe go all out and reach out to the youth and bring in a grime star..., Stormzy? He could do a bit freestyle on the mic as the coffin’s carried out, as a more ‘inclusive’ alternative to the stuffy old hymns. 

you should send that to the queen, not too late to change the list lol

A lot of his close family can't attend because of the 30 Covid rule, so why should anyone from the "BAME" community be invited just to satisfy the woke, snowflake whiners ?

If it had been a full ceremonial funeral, heads of states, etc , would have been invited, but it's not, it's a family affair, and restricted to close family, so f**k the whiners !

Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1