RIP THE DUKE

9 minutes ago, WILF said:

Haha, how many had that conversation in households across the land mate.

I don’t want to get too soppy about it but I just felt a great sadness that a very public face of a generation of men, all that was good about us, passed away and in doing so took some of the last of what remains of Great Britain with him.

I was sat with my 2 girls last night (17 & 18) watching the opening beach landing scene of “Saving Private Ryan” and said to them “Them lads were your age, your grandad & your great grandad did that!” 

They were very moved by that, and we spoke about how you get from that to what we see now in 75 years ? 

Phillip and millions of blokes like him were the best of us.

Agreed mate ,somebody on here has mentioned that he would dislike some of the grovelling  sycophancy that is being spewed out ,but he was a fella I have respect and maybe a bit of admiration for .

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He came to Britain as a refugee. Fought in major battles at sea, saved his ship, gave up a possible chance to become admiral for love. Helped start the wwf, played professional cricket, represented hi

A good friend of mine once got invited to a hare shoot down the country. Not my sort of thing as I preferred to run them or hunt them but each to his own. I forget where it was but in retrospect assum

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, WILF said:

I don’t want to get too soppy about it but I just felt a great sadness that a very public face of a generation of men, all that was good about us, passed away and in doing so took some of the last of what remains of Great Britain with him.

I was sat with my 2 girls last night (17 & 18) watching the opening beach landing scene of “Saving Private Ryan” and said to them “Them lads were your age, your grandad & your great grandad did that!” 

They were very moved by that, and we spoke about how you get from that to what we see now in 75 years ? 

And most volunteered mate ?? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

When they came back from ww2 they was warriors born and around warriors from ww1 

they stopped conscription or there’s a been civil war government would of been overthrown then they build housing estates all nice and new loads of pubs etc to get them pissed while they wait then start banning guns generation on we was f****d ? ?? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

When they came back from ww2 they was warriors born and around warriors from ww1 

they stopped conscription or there’s a been civil war government would of been overthrown then they build housing estates all nice and new loads of pubs etc to get them pissed while they wait then start banning guns generation on we was f****d ? ?? 

Those generation of men, their values and their history and everything they thought they fought for never figured in the future plans of British governments mate.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Im amazed by the amount of people who still actually believe there are politicians who actually give a fck about the average person living in the uk

Been the same 2 party’s for 70 years mate.

If every time I invited you round my house you punched me in the face, I’m sure it wouldn’t take me 70 years to figure out I better stop inviting you ! Lol 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Wouldn't happen these days..most of the youth be rioting and robbing ...would they f**k fight for queen and country ?

That’s why you find most military lads are pretty tidy, up together types mate when you spend time in their company.

They all want to be there.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Francie said:

What's the voice of Ireland mean wilf?

Nothing personal mate, the geezer don’t have a word good to say about anything related the Britain and posts a lot of stuff just to be a prick.....I thought I’d just respond in kind.

?

6 hours ago, WILF said:

Yeah, totally agree, we should be importing more white Germans and a lot less oddments ?

Exactly that.......if ever there was a great advert for sticking with your own kind he was it.

• Like 1

Apart from his military service during WW2 the fact he started the duke of Edinburgh awards scheme, campaigned tirelessly to stop governments building on kids green areas and being a founder member of the WWF would be enough to hold him in high regard .......

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, socks said:

Apart from his military service during WW2 the fact he started the duke of Edinburgh awards scheme, campaigned tirelessly to stop governments building on kids green areas and being a founder member of the WWF would be enough to hold him in high regard .......

I preferred Brett hart and Sean Michaels myself ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, socks said:

And had a part to play in designing the Land Rover.

Cheers, D.