Modern sayings

10 hours ago, TOMO said:

im afraid im guilty of saying that phrase all the time...and it pronounced .....mi duck......very common to have     " A up mi duck".....

I worked on a demolition job in the late 90s on the big Boots complex that and the term Youth I used to hear a lot from the locals.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate the way a lot of youngsters talk in a sort of Jamaican patois , kids who’s parents I know are white and live in Gloucester with a West Country accent , but the kids are trying to sound like the

you know shat really annoys me these days....coffee... now I like the odd cup....but everybody has to have a takeaway cup in there hand at all times...drives me nuts .. last Christmas..nativ

Anyone who users these new saying like " I got this" need lining up and shooting    Happy Sunday 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, tomburras said:

I once saw a useless at his job guy say "shiver me timbers" when it went wrong I'm sure he was taking the piss but he got nicknamed the pirate. 

I used to say 'piratical' sayings/expressions quite regularly lol. Did a few people's heads in lol.

Didn't get a nickname for it though. Just told 'for fucks sake give it a rest'. 

I was quite jolly about it though ?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I used to say 'piratical' sayings/expressions quite regularly lol. Did a few people's heads in lol.

Didn't get a nickname for it though. Just told 'for fucks sake give it a rest'. 

I was quite jolly about it though ?

I thought it was ace, I used to walk past him and say ahoy there shipmate, he used to shout ahoy back ?

Edited by tomburras
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, tomburras said:

Its annoying been called lad, repeatedly by someone who is only 10 years older than you when their input into the situation is pathetic and making things worse is annoying.

eye ..i bet it is lad...lol...

at work i use the old brian clough phrase a lot "young man"...

Depending on the situation I used to call strangers “sir” quiet a lot, especially older men.

If it turned into a more casual situation and it warranted it then the normal everyday “mate” is what I used.

Older travelling men I call “Uncle” if we meet and I don’t know them.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, WILF said:

Depending on the situation I used to call strangers “sir” quiet a lot, especially older men.

If it turned into a more casual situation and it warranted it then the normal everyday “mate” is what I used.

Older travelling men I call “Uncle” if we meet and I don’t know them.

I love the idea of calling people 'sir' in a respectful gentlemanly intent. Same as saying 'Mr Smith' or whatever until told to refer to a person by their first name. Folks in service professions just do it naturally. It's just so alien to me it'd come off disrespectful. Makes me feel a bit awkward when in that sort of environment tbh.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I love the idea of calling people 'sir' in a respectful gentlemanly intent. Same as saying 'Mr Smith' or whatever until told to refer to a person by their first name. Folks in service professions just do it naturally. It's just so alien to me it'd come off disrespectful. Makes me feel a bit awkward when in that sort of environment tbh.

It's pumped into you in customer service jobs as well. I've actually been told off by someone for calling them sir